Weight Loss Program

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowgurl_up

Reaction score
A friend of mine is getting two mini donkeys, a jenny and a gelding. They are the sweetest things and love to be messed with. He got them for free!! Can you believe that? Anyway, the jenny is extremely overweight and the gelding is overweight. They have fat deposits like you wouldn't believe. I mean, bulging on the sides of the neck, an extremely flat back, and a butt!!!! I have never seen a horse with a butt like that!!!

What can I do to help take this weight off. Between him and I, they will both be hand walked and trotted. But with them being so out of shape I know it will take a long time to see results. Can you longe them like you would a horse? He doesn't have a round pen so it would be on a longe line. I have been put in charge of the workouts. I know it has to be unhealthy to be that big!!! Can you neck sweat them? I don't have one for my mini as he doesn't need it, but could pick one up maybe.

Last question. The jenny has an absess so I know I can't really do anything with her until it is better, but when it does burst(it is a bad one that will come out of her hairline!) and she seems to be walking better, would it be OK to take her on short walks? I just know that it is going to take a long time to get all of this extra weight off of them. It is easier to put weight on but not to take it off!!

Thanks, any other advice is much apreciated!!

Poor thing
default_sad.png
she must have been eating like a queen. I had a donkey that started getting the thick neck and reduced his eats to just orchard grass and NOTHING else...I did have a problem with him cribbing though and chewing on trees when I put him on the diet. You might consider getting a grazing muzzle. As far as I know about the fatty neck is that once it is there, it NEVER goes away. My neighbor had gotten his jenny in this same shape...he got her weight reduced and her fat just hangs from her neck...poor thing...but she is so much healthier. I don't know about exercise...a donkey will do only what a donkey wants to do
default_rolleyes.gif
: lol! You might want to have a vet check her out too before you put her on an exercise plan...I would worry about her cardio state (because she is overweight) & about hurting herself and going lame due to her weight. It sounds like they were well taken care of...just to well
default_smile.png
It will be a challange...but you can do it. There will be a lot of braying protests
default_wink.png
: **Don't forget to take before & after pics!

Once they develop those fat pockets, they don't go away. Like JumpinJack said, a donkey will only do what a donkey wants to do. If they aren't used to being lunged, they probably won't do it. You also want to be careful in their diet. Donkeys can get Hyperlipemia too and you don't want that. They might enjoy long walks......or not
default_rolleyes.gif
: .

My donk gets good quality grass hay 2x a day + 2 cups of rolled barley 2x a day. He is a working jack (breeding and driving). Donks don't do well with high protein diets (that is where the fat generally comes from).

Good luck! Post some photos if you can.

minimule said everything I was thinking. Once those fat deposits are there, THERE THERE. Sounds like your off to a good start with walking
default_yes.gif
: cant wait to see before and after pictures of them.
default_yes.gif
: Corinne

Thanks for the advice! She has been vet checked due to her absses, but he has not. He is also not as fat. I will take the camera out get some shots of them. I brushed on them the other day and they look so much better already!!! I think we will stick with walking and see where this gets us. I have told their new owner/my friend that they are to be dry lotted with certain turnout times in the pasture to graze. They were just supposed to live in the pasture, but they have to take this weight off. I think it is funny that I am in charge of slimming these little guys down. I know that he doesnt have time, so I guess I dont mind so long as it helps them.

I think for a while we will just have to stick to walks starting 3 times a week and going up from there. I certainly don't want to overdue it and I want to build up their time gradually so as not to stress the heart(thanks jumpinjack). I have a feeling it will be a very long time before I see any changes in these two. I hate to hear that those fat deposits wont go away, but I guess we can still slim down the belly area and such!!! I too worry about hoof and leg problems from carrying that much extra weight!!

Thanks again for the help. I will try to take pictures soon!!!

Latest posts

Back