Wedding postponed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunny

Reaction score
My daughter and I were heading to Ohio on Sunday for my wedding this Saturday. We got stopped at the border and, when it was determined that I didn't have the proper visa, we were not allowed in and won't be until I have it, which could take several months. We were SO sure we were doing things the right way, but obviously not. My fiance is meeting with an immigration lawyer tomorrow to make absolutely certain we don't make any further mistakes. I'm just sick with disappointment and frustration.

Oh no!!! You have to have a visa to come over from Canada?? How about a birth certificate? My sister lives in Michigan and she's traveled through Canada several times and I don't think she has a visa. Shoot, I walked across the border and didn't have a visa when I was visiting Niagra Falls. Maybe that's different though. I did notice it was a lot harder to walk back across into the US than it was to walk into Canada.

Oh no, what rotten luck! I am so sorry, and hope you can get things cleared upo quickly and carry on with your future wedding plans.

You have to have a visa to come over from Canada?? How about a birth certificate? My sister lives in Michigan and she's traveled through Canada several times and I don't think she has a visa. Shoot, I walked across the border and didn't have a visa when I was visiting Niagra Falls. Maybe that's different though. I did notice it was a lot harder to walk back across into the US than it was to walk into Canada.
In Judy's case, the visa is not needed for her just to cross into the US...she needs and has a passport for that, however, since she is getting married there, and will be residing there, that is why she needs the visa.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, what a rotten thing to have happen! I'm so sorry.
default_no.gif
Hopefully some earthly angel comes through and gets your visa expedited.

Leia

I am not surprised Judy in a way. I have two friends that had problems as well which I find is absolutely ludicrous. We in Canada and in the U.S. let in those that are less than favourable in the eyes of the law but the ones that should be let in aren't, go figure. I wish you the best in getting everything straightened out and quickly. It might be easier if you got married here in Canada and then got the paperwork for you to cross over.

As I told you in my e-mail, I am so sorry to hear this! I can imagine how disappointed you are after all of your hard work to get ready. And I'm sad that we still haven't had a chance to meet! One of these days! Hoping and praying that things can be expedited and get you down here soon.

Barbara

Oh Judy I can't believe this!!!!!!! This is horrible! You must be besides yourself. This is the pits~

I think you should order a chopper to air lift you across
default_biggrin.png

So sorry Judy to hear that the wedding is delayed. Now U.S. Citizens must have a passort or special ID card to go to Canada and back. We got ours at the post office. You must have a birth certiifcate and the post office has special forms to be filled out. It takes four to six weeks to get the passport or Id Cards Make sure your birth certificate is not torn or worn andmust have a raised seal. Check with your local postoffice for more information. Not all post offies in the states do this. My understanding is that Canadians must also have a passport to come to the States. Wishing you the best Judy Keep in touch Frannie

Sorry to hear about this Judy. Hopefully things will be taken care of quickly and you can start you new life here in the states.

Thanks for all your kind comments.

Mona is exactly right in her explanation why I need a visa. Those who are travelling back and forth between our countries on vacation or whatever just need a passport, not a visa. But because it's my intention to immigrate to the U.S., we will have to obtain either a Fiance Visa or a Spouse Visa (K-1 or K-3 respectively). My fiance is meeting with an immigration attorney tomorrow who will hopefully suggest the best course of action. We may very well just get married up here and apply for the K-3.

And, Marty, to say that I'm "beside myself" is a huge understatement.
default_no.gif
I do like your idea of the chopper, though.

I am so sorry to hear that Sunny! Sometimes laws work in odd ways and do not make sense...People come into the US that have no business here, yet someone like you is having trouble getting in.....Geez....Hope it all gets cleared up soon! And...when it happens....WELCOME to the USA!
default_saludando.gif

The time of your happiness finally arrives and then THIS happens!
default_no.gif

I'm so sorry! I know that must have shattered you! (it would have me)

But good things come to those who wait! It will get done and I hope when it does, you share the joy with us!

{{{hugs}}}

Yeah, I am all for the "get married now...immigrate when you can" idea.
default_laugh.png
default_yes.gif

How desperately disappointing for you all.
default_no.gif

default_wink.png

I was so sorry when I got your email -- I DID call to offer you my sympathy & support but Alexis said you were in Simcoe -- What a bummer -- need less to say it put a crimp in my plans for a nice weekend as well. LOL

Can't imagine how frustrated you must be -- I also think he should just come uo here & "Git it done "

Hope everything works out soon for you both . Amy

Judy, I just thought of somethig else...you SHOULD be able to go there anyway for up to 6 months, without a visa I think. I know people from around here go to spend their wonters down south in TX, AZ, etc., and they can go down for up to 6 months at a time without anything special. Maybe you can just go there to be with your fiance and then cross back into Canada before your 6 months is up?? Maybe then you can still get married as planned, or did you miss the date altogether now??

So sorry. Can only imagine how frustrated you are

Kay

So sorry Judy to hear that the wedding is delayed. Now U.S. Citizens must have a passort or special ID card to go to Canada and back. We got ours at the post office. You must have a birth certiifcate and the post office has special forms to be filled out. It takes four to six weeks to get the passport or Id Cards Make sure your birth certificate is not torn or worn andmust have a raised seal. Check with your local postoffice for more information. Not all post offies in the states do this. My understanding is that Canadians must also have a passport to come to the States. Wishing you the best Judy Keep in touch Frannie

Unfortunately in the case of a "marriage" it is much more difficult and entails a lot. I know one of my co-workers married an American and the wedding ending up being here because of having to jump through hoops to get the proper paperwork, it was going to take twice the amount of time and even then. So Sally and her now husband decided to get married in Canada and live here instead. Judy, youe best bet is to hire a lawyer so that you get all the required papers filed. I know it will cost more but that seems to be the way to go to cut down the time. I guess they are worried that you will eventually take a job from an American citizen until you are able to become one yourself. I believe you aren't allowed to work for a cetain amount of time when you get there anyway. Best of luck and big hugs to you. It must be so frustrating when you want to be permanently with the one you love and as I said for osme reason it is easier for some that truly shouldn't be allowed in and in this case where you truly should be allowed in they put road-blocks. I am sorry

I am so very sorry. Getting married is stressful enough... I hope it all shakes out soon. You guys have waited long enough!!!!! Good luck!

Thanks again for all the kind words of support and suggestions.

Dick met with an immigration lawyer this morning, and I spoke with him, as well. He gave us a list as long as my arm of documents he'll need to provide proof of an ongoing relationship (as opposed to a "mail-order bride" type of situation). He said it takes about 3 - 5 months for the fiance visa, and then another month or so for them to package it all up and send it to the U.S. Consulate in Toronto where, eventually, I'll have to attend for an interview, fingerprints, medical tests etc. He also said it's better if we go through all these steps and get married in the U.S., and then get the green card rather than marrying here.

Good thing I love Canada as much as I do since I'm going to be "stuck" here for a long while.

Latest posts

Back