Weanling with a runny nose

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdbj

Reaction score
Have a weanling colt with a runny nose, but otherwise is healthy as a horse! Eats, drinks, poops, plays, runs. No cough or no wheezy breathing, no fever. Treated with a round of antibiotics, no change. This has been going on now for about 4 weeks.

Any thoughts you care to share would be appreciated!

How about cutting new teeth?

What kind of "runny"? Colour - green, white, clear? Consistency - thin, thick?

It is thicker, but more on the white side. Like I said, he is really good for a few day, then it comes back, then goes away for a couple days, then comes back...

Normal!
default_smile.png
If you see coughing, rattling, etc, that's bad. Light runny noses are perfectly normal, especially this time of the year.

Thanks very much Nathan! I was kind of thinking the same thing. Now I can rest easy! Can you tell this little guy is my favorite! :bgrin

My Goldilocks (yearling) also has this. I just carry a kleenex around in my pocket all the time to wipe her nose. Works for us. I think it is just some type of allergy but does not bother her in any way. like you said runs, plays, eats, poops, everything normal. Good luck.

One of my mares started with the same thing, then went to a cough. It eventually spread to all 5 horses. I have been dealing with it for 6 weeks. I finally had to give PCN, antibiotic, etc.... Finally all 5 are starting to do better :aktion033: :aktion033: Please keep a close watch. You can use a small amount of bleach to wash out buckets and stuff, just make sure to rinse well. My vet said it is going around. Hope all turns out well.

Young horses often go through what you describe........kind of like youngsters when they first start pre-school. No matter what you vaccinate for, they will get a "cold". They are still building their natural antibodies and no matter what shots you give, it won't cover every strain.

Wipe their nose with a babywipe or kleenex and just make sure their attitudes, eating, drinking, etc isn't an issue........(It's h*ll being a new mom!)

MA

MA - I couldn't agree with you more about the new Mom thing! To top it off, yesterday this little guy gets a deep 6-8 inch cut down his butt, right along side his tail. Borderline stitches type cut. Went with the WonderDust and now constant tlc. Looks just awful!
default_sad.png
I shall tell you, this is going to be one spoiled colt, he was spoiled before, now...

Horses have got to be the most mischievious creatures God has given us!
default_wink.png
:

Latest posts

Back