weanling help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrea loves minis

Reaction score
I have a 5 month weanling which I'm trying to get onto a mixed feed and I'm having trouble. I there any tricks out there? I would appreciate any suggestions, Thanks

Is he used to grain before? Feed changes must be done gradually, especially for weanlings. I would give his current feed mixed with a little bit of the new feed you want to give. Everyday just increase the new feed and feed less of the old feed. What are you trying to feed him when you say mixed feed?

Is he used to grain before? Feed changes must be done gradually, especially for weanlings. I would give his current feed mixed with a little bit of the new feed you want to give. Everyday just increase the new feed and feed less of the old feed. What are you trying to feed him when you say mixed feed?

No I don't think she has had grain before. She just looks at it. Its a weanling feed with 14% protein.

Did you just get her? Can you ask the original owners what they gave her? I've always fed my weanlings with their moms so by like 2 weeks old they are already eating grain and so by weanling time they are used to the grain already. I had bought one before that I wanted to switch feeds with and he was real picky about the new feed so it took him defintelly at least a week to get switched to the new feed. But fortuantly I knew what he was getting before and was able to give it to him. Is she eating hay ok.

You could try a 12% pellet like Nutrena Prime or Patriot Feed Easy, soaked in warm water. I've never had my guys on any special weanling feed but my horses grow and grow and usually end up having perfect legs, etc. They love the warm mash that soaked pellets makes. You could add some cider or apple juice to perk her interest. Make sure she is stalled by herself to feed and you can leave the feed in with her for a little while for her to really investigate it. Sounds like she could use a little boost with some probiotics, as well. It is especially beneficial for them.

(Has she been wormed and does she have access to a mineral salt block?)

If she simply doesn't KNOW to eat it, do you have other horses she can be fed with? Often that's all it takes. Or maybe a goat (just be careful with goats eating horse feed - it can cause blocked urthrea's in males). My picky eaters quickly become good eaters when there is competition.

You could try a 12% pellet like Nutrena Prime or Patriot Feed Easy, soaked in warm water. I've never had my guys on any special weanling feed but my horses grow and grow and usually end up having perfect legs, etc. They love the warm mash that soaked pellets makes. You could add some cider or apple juice to perk her interest. Make sure she is stalled by herself to feed and you can leave the feed in with her for a little while for her to really investigate it. Sounds like she could use a little boost with some probiotics, as well. It is especially beneficial for them.

(Has she been wormed and does she have access to a mineral salt block?)

Yes she is stalled by herself. I just can't get her to want to eat it. I put her muzzle in the bucket, tried feeding her a handful at a time and she just won't eat it. I'll give soaking it a try. She does have a salt block. She hasn't been wormed yet. She came from not such a great environment. I'm hoping to pick up dewormer this weekend. Thanks

Did you just get her? Can you ask the original owners what they gave her? I've always fed my weanlings with their moms so by like 2 weeks old they are already eating grain and so by weanling time they are used to the grain already. I had bought one before that I wanted to switch feeds with and he was real picky about the new feed so it took him defintelly at least a week to get switched to the new feed. But fortuantly I knew what he was getting before and was able to give it to him. Is she eating hay ok.

The previous owners had her just grazing and on mom. She wasn't eating the hay that's why I thought I better get a feed for her but she has picked up on the hay now. I'll just have to give her some time I guess. This is my first experience with a weanling. I'm used to my other 2 minis who have no problem at all with the eating part lol. Thanks for your suggestions.

Yes she is stalled by herself. I just can't get her to want to eat it. I put her muzzle in the bucket, tried feeding her a handful at a time and she just won't eat it. I'll give soaking it a try. She does have a salt block. She hasn't been wormed yet. She came from not such a great environment. I'm hoping to pick up dewormer this weekend. Thanks
If she wasn't taken care of in the proper way you may want the vet to look at her. She may also have some ulcers and that can also get them off grain. When you buy dewormer I would use something thats really safe to use with at first like Safeguard. Is she eating hay or grass ok? Otherwise I agree with txminipinto if you have other horses that she can eat with she may learn to eat the grain if she has never been introduced to grain before.

The previous owners had her just grazing and on mom. She wasn't eating the hay that's why I thought I better get a feed for her but she has picked up on the hay now. I'll just have to give her some time I guess. This is my first experience with a weanling. I'm used to my other 2 minis who have no problem at all with the eating part lol. Thanks for your suggestions.
I would highly suggest have the vet look at her and ask about ulcers, she may also have other problems we don't know about. If she can have a buddy to hang out with that would be great.

If she wasn't taken care of in the proper way you may want the vet to look at her. She may also have some ulcers and that can also get them off grain. When you buy dewormer I would use something thats really safe to use with at first like Safeguard. Is she eating hay or grass ok? Otherwise I agree with txminipinto if you have other horses that she can eat with she may learn to eat the grain if she has never been introduced to grain before.

I was going to pick up strongid? Is that a good one? I'll try to put the trough inbetween the 2 pens and maybe that'll help. I think she just doesn't know what feed is.

I would use strongid for now and then follow up in a couple weeks with ivermectin. Ivermectin can cause a very large kill so it should be avoided for the first dewormer. If you can, put the weanling in with one of the older horses. She needs that competition for the food to make it desireable.

I once bought a yearling that had not had grain before and just looked at it, but would eat hay. Once quarrentien was over and she went out with the others she learned from them to eat grain.

I would use strongid for now and then follow up in a couple weeks with ivermectin. Ivermectin can cause a very large kill so it should be avoided for the first dewormer. If you can, put the weanling in with one of the older horses. She needs that competition for the food to make it desireable.
Strongid should be fine. Like txminipinto said Ivermectin is a powerful dewormer and could do more harm than good is she is overloaded with worms, and my guess is she is probably wormy and that could also make them not feel good.

How long have you had her? She may be missing her Mum and feeling confused. If she and her dam were out at grass then make sure that she also has grass to eat - to keep her stalled and just on hay will not do her little system a lot of good, especially if it is not used to hay.

I would worm her, get her out on some grass as soon as you can, then if you need to stall her at night, offer her some nice leafy hay and a bowl with a little of the feed you intend to give her. If she is having plenty of grass time, dont worry too much if she goes for her feed or not - as soon as she starts to feel settled, she will investigate her bowl, all foals do in the end!

I also agree that it wouldn't hurt to have a word with your vet about a possible check over, but at this stage I wouldn't do anything to unsettle her, just let her get to know you and offer her lots of love.
default_yes.gif

Apart from sharing their Momma's feed, when they can get a look in, during the first few weeks of their lives, none of my foals see food again until they are weaned at 6 or 7 months (we have loads of grass), but they love playing with their bowls and eventually realise that the first handful of weaner pellets inside the bowl tastes better than the bowl! LOL!! At weaning mine are still out on grass all day but stalled at nights.

Good luck, just give her time, I'm sure she will be fine!

How long have you had her? She may be missing her Mum and feeling confused. If she and her dam were out at grass then make sure that she also has grass to eat - to keep her stalled and just on hay will not do her little system a lot of good, especially if it is not used to hay.

I would worm her, get her out on some grass as soon as you can, then if you need to stall her at night, offer her some nice leafy hay and a bowl with a little of the feed you intend to give her. If she is having plenty of grass time, dont worry too much if she goes for her feed or not - as soon as she starts to feel settled, she will investigate her bowl, all foals do in the end!

I also agree that it wouldn't hurt to have a word with your vet about a possible check over, but at this stage I wouldn't do anything to unsettle her, just let her get to know you and offer her lots of love.
default_yes.gif

Apart from sharing their Momma's feed, when they can get a look in, during the first few weeks of their lives, none of my foals see food again until they are weaned at 6 or 7 months (we have loads of grass), but they love playing with their bowls and eventually realise that the first handful of weaner pellets inside the bowl tastes better than the bowl! LOL!! At weaning mine are still out on grass all day but stalled at nights.

Good luck, just give her time, I'm sure she will be fine!

I just got her 4 days ago. She still is very scared. Trying to halter break her and we're practising walking on a lead. She's doing very good and is really calming down. I'll just give her some time. I put my gelding in with her with the feed. Of course he thought he was in heaven and lapped up all the food lol....she did at least put her muzzle in the trough and move it around abit. Thanks everyone for all the great advice!!

On this same subject, our weanling is doing very well with grain, so-so with hay, but I am curious what you guys feed. I am seeing posts about 12-14% grains. I am feeding an 11% sweet feed to him. He gets 2 cups a day. What do you recommend?? Any supplements?? PM me if it is long.

On this same subject, our weanling is doing very well with grain, so-so with hay, but I am curious what you guys feed. I am seeing posts about 12-14% grains. I am feeding an 11% sweet feed to him. He gets 2 cups a day. What do you recommend?? Any supplements?? PM me if it is long.
All my foals get a 14% junior feed and the maximum amount allowed by weight. My one foal is getting 2 POUNDS of grain a day. That's about 4-5 cups. As he get a little older, I will bump it up more. He also gets BOSS, multi-vitamins, soaked beet pulp and hay.

Your 11% feed will not meet the levels your foal needs and your foal will get a hay belly. These little foals need LOTS of high protein grain in their first year.

That's kind of my "short" feeding comment. To get back to the OP, Good luck! It sounds like you are off to a great start!
default_smile.png

There are lots of good suggestions here.

I would also say that until she is eating well, I would not stress her in any way. That includes lead and halter breaking. Weanling minis can be very fragile health-wise. She also needs a buddy. If the gelding is tolerant then I would leave him with her 24/7. Just make sure the weanling can get to the food, lol.

I recently got a tip from my vet to give horses that aren't eating well some Karo syrup 2-3 times a day. One of my very best horses came home from the World Show and 7 days later went off his feed a little (not completely). On day 3 of not eating well, but still eating, I took him to the vet and he was diagnosed with the early stages of hyperlipidemia. He responded well and was home 3 days later. The best guess is that he had a minor virus that made him go off his feed a little and it just snowballed from there. The Karo syrup would have prevented the hyperlipidemia apparently.

Latest posts

Back