Weaning

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zipper

Reaction score
One of the mares had a foal that was born July 4th last year with her so I took her away yesterday as the mare was not weaning her herself.

The mother today has a full bag of course now do I let the filly in with her for a bit or do I just let her go cold turkey. She is outside so she is walking

around and I did not give her any grain.

Sorry this is my first time do not have a clue. This mare in her former home would of just her foal taken away from her and left on her own. Is that

what I should do.

The foal who I guess is actually a yearling I am feeding her a cup of Purina day and night and all the hay she can eat and a pail of water so is that okay for her?

Thanks

Keep them separated. If you put the filly back in with the mare, she'll let her nurse and she'll have to go through it all over again. Keep the mare off grain for a week or two.

Did my first ever weaning 2 weeks ago ! foal born in June last year, put foal in the adjoinging field to dam with company, dam has company - no shouting, running fence lines - it was wonderful !

They were separated at night when she was 6 months old and stabled next to each other.

Hope this helps

I normally use the gradualy method, but with a filly this old, do as Nathan said, just keep them separated. I usually wean mine at six months old and use the method of taking the mare away during the day and in with the mare at night for a week, just to keep the bag drained. Then take the mare away but the mare and foal can still see each other over the fence, I usually do several at a time so they are not alone. In this case, no, don't put the filly back with the mare, just do as Nathan suggested and decrease her feed, and increase the fillies feed.

Latest posts

Back