Weaning. What age?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kylie

Reaction score
Just wondering what ages breeders wean their foals?

The earliest & the latest & why?

Regards.
default_smile.png

I have only weaned a few foals so far, but have purchased quite a few weanlings.

One foal I had to wean at 3mos because she was pulling her dam down too much. Another, I didn't wean for a year which was way longer than need be but he wasn't for sale and I just let him stay with his mom. Another I weaned at 6mos. That one came to me at 3mos on her mom's side and I just wanted her to be settled in plenty and was waiting for a companion to her filly I'd bought to arrive.

Many / most of the foals I've purchased have been weaned at 4mos. I plan to wean our 2008 foals at 4mos as well.

Four Months is usually the average age...... However, as Jill said, if the mare is being pulled down and extra food isn't helping, we may wean a little earlier. We also have weaned at 5 and at 6 months when the foal doesn't seem ready at the normal 4 months.

I prefer to wean at about 4 months. However, if there is a reason to wean earlier (ie. dragging the mare down) I would consider weaning earlier. I have also waited as long as 6 months when there was no reason to wean earlier. I definately prefer to wean more than one at a time. Misery loves company.
default_wink.png

Thanks everyone.

I always wean at 4/5mths (big horses & mini's) but thinking my colt whom is 3mtrhs will be weaned in about 2 weeks.

His dam rarely lets him drink, she's gotten extremely sour, keeps to herself & is generally not happy.

She's had foal after foal since 2004/05 so getting abit over it. She's currently empty as i wanted to give her a break from being preg & she's having the year off showing (possible retired from the ring for good), but she's normally a sweet mare, she's now hard to catch & bit me last week.

Bubs is doing MORE than fine, eats with his weanling filly mate, healthy, happy, but mum is just over it & im up in arms wondering what to do.

Cheers.
default_smile.png

I'm the odd ball lol Ive always let the mares wean the kids when THEY wanted to and none have passed a year yet, thats large and minis.

I wean at 3 months, have for a number of years with no ill affects. My vet says as long as they eat grain, hay and drink water with no problems then it is alright. A friend of mine weaned her arabian colt at 2 months as she sold the dam and the guy wanted her to pay board of $600 a month for the colt and she had to pay for the grain for mare and colt. Needless to say she decided she would wean the colt and put him on milk pellets and not have to deal with the guy being stupid.

I wean at 3 months, have for a number of years with no ill affects. My vet says as long as they eat grain, hay and drink water with no problems then it is alright. A friend of mine weaned her arabian colt at 2 months as she sold the dam and the guy wanted her to pay board of $600 a month for the colt and she had to pay for the grain for mare and colt. Needless to say she decided she would wean the colt and put him on milk pellets and not have to deal with the guy being stupid.
Thankyou.

I did wean my Anglo 2007 filly at 3mths, something i wasnt too keen on at the time, but her mum was a 20yo rescue TB (i acquired the mare 2 weeks before the filly was born, bag a bones).... that went off well.

But as i "normally" wean at 4/5 mths i just needed to hear from others, how they go about it.

Trimmed the colts dams feet today & she's seriously not happy, her udder isnt sore as i had a feel around, she's eating well & whatnot, i think she's over this baby stuff (& from showing), she needs to go out in the big paddock & enjoy herself.

I will wean the little guy in 2 wks, he's on (i have him & the weanling using a yard that the mare cant get into) pellets that are made specifically for Young horses & chaffs, hay & supplements & in very good nick. He's been eating this from about 2/3 wks of age.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back