Weaning Questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clpclop

Reaction score
Okay...I have 2 large stalls (32 x 24) and we just open the door between them for both mares and foals to roam. My filly is now 20 weeks and my colt is now 16 weeks. What is the best way to wean them from nursing? Do I need to seperate the stalls? Should I put the foals together so they can play or put a foal in with the other mare?

Also...in halter training, I take each foal by themselves. The colt goes ballistic and rears, bucks and bites and the filly just whinnies. Is the colt still too young to take by himself? I want to raise them to be independent, but I know I'm going to have seperation anxieties from all 4! Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Karen

I don't know if I can answer your question, but will tell you what I did with the last two foals I weaned (they were full-size half-siblings, together from the day they were born).

Anyway, the two mares (mother and daughter) were bred to the same stallion and due about two weeks apart, ended up foaling one day apart. So, the filly and colt were together from the time they were about 3 or 4 days old (they were in adjoining pens until they got there legs under them), until it was weaning time (4 months for the colt). I sold the colt's dam at weaning time, so I pulled her from the pen and left the colt with his "aunt" and little sister (he was more than ready to wean, the filly wasn't). The colt and his dam (I moved her across the yard for about a week before she left to go to her new home, so she'd have time to dry up some before going) only called to each other for about a day or so, then both went about their lives. The filly wasn't ready to wean so I waited another 3-4 weeks before weaning her. The mare and the two foals all got on fine, although, I did seperate them for their grain meals to be sure the colt got what he needed. When the filly was ready to wean, I took her dam and put her back in the main pasture with the other horses (it was fall, so no grass to speak of, so she dried up just fine). The filly and colt were just fine together and stayed together until I weaned the colt (early April, he was about 10 months or so), at which time he was separated from the filly for weaning for about a month or so. Both were just fine. The fall of their yearling year they were grouped with my two year old gelding for winter and all did just fine.

Hope this helps a little bit. And, I'm sure someone will come on with more advice and information.

I have never weaned a foal before but just from what I would believe true I would say you probubly shouldn't put the foals in with the opposite mare to wean them because a) the foal would probubly continue to nurse off the other mare and b) depending on the mare's personality, she may go balistic on the foal because she wants her foal back, or be opposite and just treat the foal like it was her own and then you wouldn't end up weaning, just giving it anouther mother/anouther foal. Also for your question about leading the foals by themselves before they are weaned, although I'm sure it's not harmful, if the foal is freaking out because it's not with it's mom (and it's not time to be weaned), why put them (and you for that matter) through the stress?

I would certainly not swap mares, that's asking for severe problems and possible deadly injuries. It'd be very healthy for the two foals to hang out together as long as they don't become dependant on each other. If possible, I'd suggest keeping the mares out of sight of the foals, it helps with drying them up and helping the mare finish her weaning a little faster.

I would not put the foals in with other the other mare,for the same reasons stated by others. I would put both foals in a safe pen and move mares out of site and ear shot.

When I wean I wait until all the foals are at least 4 months old. I pull one mare out of the pasture at a time. Starting with the mare with the oldest foal. The foals hardly seem to notice.By the end of the week I have all mares out. The stallion stays in for another week or so. Then all the foals go in a small pen with a lean until they go to thier new homes. I have never had them pass 5 months. But if I did I would put fillies and colts in diffent pens at 6 months.

This is what my grandfather did for 50 years raising welsh ponies.

I never hear them cry... mare or foal.It is safe and everyone is happy.

This year I did sell one foal at 4 months, he is gone to his new home. I would of liked to wait but the gal had sound reasons for wanting him sooner and being the mare was young and the foal was pulling her down . I agreed to wean him sooner.

The mare is happy and putting weight back on. And the colt is doing very well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 5 babies this year, all the babies and mama's have been togather the last 2 1/2 months so they are all used to each other. I took 2 of the mares out a couple of weeks ago Their colts were a little over 4mo. I haven't had any problems, probably the easiest weaning yet. They did try to visit another milk-bar a couple of times but were pushed away so they got the message real quick. It seemed easier on the little ones to have all their friends with them. My mares pasture is very large and cross fenced so I put the two mamas on one side for a week during the day a little at a time so I could watch closely to see if it would work out first. After a week I just took the mamas out and took the babies to them a couple times a day for 3 days just to help the mamas bags. I do think you need to know your horses pretty well to do it this way...It worked great for me.

Sandy

I would certainly not swap mares, that's asking for severe problems and possible deadly injuries. It'd be very healthy for the two foals to hang out together as long as they don't become dependant on each other. If possible, I'd suggest keeping the mares out of sight of the foals, it helps with drying them up and helping the mare finish her weaning a little faster.

I ditto Nathan's post.

We have over 12 foals. Two of our older ones are already sold and gone. A few are just reaching weaning age now (a minimum of 4 months or older) and will be put back into our barn pasture away from their dams. The important thing for us is making sure the foals have buddies.

MA

Thank you all. Everything you said makes sense. How can I tell if my colt is ready to be weaned? I have a small residential property (1/2 Acre) and do not have a pasture. The best I can do is use the seperate stalls and keep the mama's in one and the foals in another. I now know that this will be a "gradual weaning" because the mom's are in close proximity.

So my other question is....What length of time do I keep them seperated when the mom's are right next door?

So my other question is....What length of time do I keep them seperated when the mom's are right next door?
I always keep mine separated for at least a year. I know some put them back together sooner without problems, but I wait a year. I also prefer to have them out of sight for a considerable time.

Since, your situation forces the moms and foals to see eachother, I would wait for up to a year as well..........or at least until the mares are foaling again.

When we have seperated them out of sight and hearing, we've been okay with puting them back sooner.

MA

You will know if the foals are ready to be weaned if they are eating lots of hay/grain and are freely drinking water with regularity. This requires careful observation several times a day.

I wean "cold turkey." On this issue you will find wide-ranging opinions. Some will suggest letting them get together for a few hours a day. I find that just prolongs the agony for the mothers, and keeps those udders swollen much longer than necessary. Really, the only reason for doing that is to make the OWNER feel less guilty about separating them.

By doing it cold turkey - and making sure the foals have buddies -- they QUICKLY get over it. By the time the foals are 4 or 5 months old, the mares usually quit calling for their babies within a couple hours (some are almost relieved to get rid of them), and if you give everyone some good feed at the time of separation, they quickly get over it. The mares will be swollen for a couple days but they will "go down" much quicker if it is cold turkey.

And yes - I keep the weaners separate from the mares for almost 2 years....primarily because their nutritional needs are much different. My weaners and yearlings are fed a lot more grain per hundred weight than the mares. If together, those mares will turn into fat oinkers.

My foals can ALWAYS see there dams during the weaning process in fact I think it makes it much easier on all then to one day have your baby just missing which can only lead to frantic behavior IMO

It doesnt slow down or change the process at all and they are put back with the herd in about 60 days some need another 30 but for the most part all is said and done and they live happily and well adjusted n the herd at least that has been my experience over many years. I havent found any change in quickness that there udders go down I have found that is different in every mare.

To address jeans point(which is a good one) .. yes they do need to eat differently. My horses all eat there hay as a herd and spend the day playing and being a herd however they are all stalled at night so they get there own individual diet needs met.

Okay...I'm getting my game plan down now with all of your advice.

Right now I'm feeding my mares "Mare & Foal Plus" about 1 cup each per day. The foals are getting some out of that. I also feed for both mom's and foals, 2 flakes of timothy in the morning and 2 flakes of Alfalfa in the evening.

My mares are not "show horses", therefore I don't require them to be on the thin side. What are your opinions on how I should adjust my feeding? Also, I could use some suggestions on what type and how much grain to feed the mom's and what type to feed the foals.

Latest posts

Back