We survived!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drivin*me*buggy

Reaction score
Well, Wish and I survived the Jeff Morse clinic yesterday! It was our first venture ever into the scary world. Wish was a brave girl. She looked at things but managed to keep her head. I couldn't bring my wooden wheeled easy entry cart because we could fit both carts in the back of the truck, We opted to bring my friend's cart because her horse is smaller and the smaller pneumatic wheels were better for him.

Once in the indoor arena- our first time in one of them too- Wish was UP- understandably so. I was able to go in early since my lesson was right after lunch. I hoped by getting in there early- I could drive for a bit and settle her. Well- she was still plenty energetic once Jeff came in to teach. He was super nice. I was so nervous but feel like I got alot out of the lesson. We worked on slowing her tempo at the walk and giving her more rein and working on self carriage. We did an exercise with me driving down the ong side of the arena with my eyes closed to help develop feel. The we worked at the trot on the same things. It was alot of info for both Wish and myself to process, but it was fun.

My biggest bummer with her was that she didn't want to stand,she'd get antsy, which she is like a rock when we are home..she was ok if she someone was by her head. We definitely have to work on that. All in all I think we put in a respectable showing for minis, esp for being our first time out.

397237772.jpg

Angie

Congratulations, Angie!! I think I would have been nervous too as Jeff is a big name. Sounds like for her first time away from home Wish did very well indeed, the antsiness and reluctance to stand being fairly typical. She'll get better the more you take her out. Love the picture.
default_wub.png

Can you or Mary tell me why Jeff is so gung-ho on "slowing the tempo" on the minis? Around here we're NEVER told that, it's always "push push push!"
default_wacko.png
Granted the goal is still to get rid of rushing but our trainers seem to figure that will happen naturally as we get them to reach more in their strides and become more rhythmic. Slow minis just shuffling along or jogging like little quarter horses are greatly frowned upon in the NW.

Leia

Congrats on your clinic, Angie, and thanks for sharing a picture! You look great. If that was her first time away from home - and I bet you were nervous - those are perfectly common reactions! I expect I will see some of that this weekend even though Princess and I have shown PLENTY, but this will be new and different.

Jeff mentioned to me (in a clinic) that he USUALLY has to address tempo, because he often sees minis with too fast a tempo. He did not address if with me with either Ruby or Princess, just seemed surprised that he didn't need to. So I think if he addressed it, he saw something he thought could be improved. Maybe it had to do with nervousness in Angie and Wish's case??

From the lessons and clinics I have been to, they talk alot about VSE's doing a running walk and to slow them down to get them to use their back end and lengthen their stride, not slow down as in shorten their stride. It's more about relaxing them then really slowing them. I would love to take a lesson with Jeff as it is always interesting to take lessons with different drivers as each one has a different idea or technique.

Donna

Congrats on enjoying your clinic w/ Jeff Morse! We went down to Las Cruces(southern NM; I'm in the northern half, so about 250 miles one-way), a couple of years ago back in Feb., for a clinic w/ Jeff that the Zia Driving Club hosted. I took my 'old faithful' AMHA Champion gelding that I bred, raised, and trained, "Jess Cowboys Top Hand". I don't recall any comments from Jeff about tempo, but he may not have seen that as an issue with "Handy",who inherited lovely movement from BOTH his parents, "Landrys Cowboy Del" and "Sooner States Melody", and has had a LOT of training and experience.

I imagine that Jeff may see a fair number of short-strided, but rapid-stepping, minis, because IMO, lots of 'training' exclusively for the breed show ring often 'produces' that...plus, a fair number of miniature horses tend to move that way if not specifically trained otherwise. Jeff is a great clinician--patient,calm, and willing to fully explain things. He is one of the most helpful 'trainer-members' of the CD-L -- -and I found him very likeable simply as a person, too.

Your mare "Wish" looks SOOO much like my wonderful matriarch, "Melody", mentioned above! She's just lovely; I know how much you must enjoy her!

Margo

Yes, Jeff didn't want us necessarily slowing our speed, just the tempo, have her take bigger more relaxed strides. He kept telling me she's a lady's pony and should be obedient and mindful....I also have to work on giving my voice commands in a softer voice, it's not ladylike to yell.
default_rolleyes.gif
lol, though I did explain that I usually have my son, 3 dogs and various other distractions so she has to know who I am talking to. He laughed and said, ok, if you want to make it challenging for yourself- and that is sounded like an advanced training level environment.
default_laugh.png

He was super nice, I wish we weren't so nervous. I have lots to practice.

Angie

Back