We lost our mini MULE!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamdamster

Reaction score
Died this morning. I was on my way to see him, hadn't heard anything, so just headed out. Got the call when I was almost there. Not very happy right now. Vet didn't seem concerned that much when we brought him in. They didn't run any other tests. He was in pain, trying to roll. I don't think it was septicemia (SP) like someone else said, gums were blue to white, gums are supposed to be dark red to purple. He had no weazing or fluid in his lungs, not phemonia(sp). He didn't have a temp, blood count was low, IgG was fine. He would breath hard for about 30 sec and then normal for a while and back to hard breathing, looked like he would hold hisbreath and moan for some time. He had diarrhea, was straining a bit every now and then. I'm beating myself up, I have always done the milk and blood test, realized the next day that I didn't do him. What are the signs, and if it was, why did he get enough colostrum? Totally forgot to ask vet, been pondering forever. They never did any other tests, thought maybe for sure they would have!!! Not happy with that clinic, but the only one around that does emergencies. The room had open culture trays, left syringes, the pen he was put in was not cleaned, poop on the walls, left over bowl was in there from other animal!! He's gone but not forgotten, only 2 days old. Didn't have a name.

mule045.jpg

I'm so sorry that you lost this precious little guy
default_sad.png
By all means, give him a name even now if you want. It can help with the grieving process. Don't blame yourself. Sometimes things happen even if you do everything right and there's no way to know that you didn't in this case. (((hugs)))

I'm so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful little guy! Please take care of yourself and know

sometimes things happen. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Oh I am so sorry, I feel your pain in your words......
default_sad.png

It is upsetting when you feel that the vet didn't do all that they could....I have been down that road before.

God bless your poor little mule....

He was sure a gorgeous little guy and I am so sorry!
default_sad.png

[SIZE=14pt]So very sorry about that ! He was DARLING![/SIZE]

Lyn

What a cutie........ My condolences for your loss.

Wish and hope you find some answers.

MA

aww im soooo very sorry for your loss, he was so beautiful, you must be very angry and frustrated,its soo sad when they pass,he looked so healthy in the picture,...im sorry for your loss :no:

What an adorable little fella. I'm so sorry for your loss. Hopefully, you can find some comfort in that you did the best you could under the circumstances and that's all any of us can do. Sometimes things just are not in our control. Appreciate that even though brief, you had an absolutely beautiful little mule that will live on in your memory forever and hopefully one day, you won't remember the bad - just how pretty he was.

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG I am crying with you. I was so tickled to see the picture of his birth and can't believe you lost him. Guess god needed a mule angel up their to watch over us.

Thinking of you.

Traci

I have done some research and am convinced it was neonatal isoerythrolysis, I SHOULD HAVE DONE HTE TEST, it was late at night when she foaled and totally forgot, he could have been saved over my negligence. It all makes sense, that's why his gums where blue and breathing hard, why didn't the vet recognize this, if i can figure it out. I found a site that made me cry http://www.theexecutivedecision.com/wst_page10.php Please read, please learn from my mistakes!!!!!!!!!

Oh I am so very sorry for your loss......that one must really hurt. HE was precious!

That is terrible when you second guess the care they received and beat yourself up about choices made.

Try not to do that, he is at peace now... really sorry for you!
default_sad.png

So sorry for your loss. Please don't blame yourself

Anita

Little Texas Minis

Sulphur Springs Texas

So Sorry, you cannot blame yourself, you did everything you could.
default_wub.png
:

Thinking of you.

Please hon don't blame yourself..and do name him.he was something special and perhaps his purpose here was for you to learn.

We will all remember him, that prescious longears, and maybe you can try again next year..hugs,

Maxine

Actually I was going to say I don't believe it was neonatal isoerythrolysis; colic/diarrhea are NOT signs of this condition. The first sign is the foal becomes dull, weak, doesn't nurse, may collapse. Respiration & heart rate usually increase but temperature may be normal or below normal. Mucous membranes may be pale for the first 24 hours then jaundice develops & worsens progressively. Urine color may vary from light yellow to deep red depending on the severity and amount of red blood cell destruction. Death may occur from acute anemia. Your little guy sounded to have something intestinal going on--spells of pain which would coincide with his spells of elevated respiration.

I'm so sorry, he was a cutie!

I'm so sorry, words just escape me. I didn't even know him but I loved him!
default_sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I am SO very sorry!!! I LOVED him, and I am SO incredibly sad for you. Please don't blame yourself, you loved him. And like someone else said, maybe giving him a name is a really good idea. He touched your life and your heart even if only for a short time. I'm sorry that you are hurting.

Jodi

All losses of these babies is sad; your little guy was such a doll, and seemed so healthy-it just makes it especially sad.

Don't beat yourself up-nothing is changed by that. All you can do is try to learn whatever can be learned from this experience. Ask all the questions you can of the attending vets.(No question-it is especially depressing when you aren't sure that the care was what it should have been...), but do your best to learn/make something positive come from this very sad experience. My heart goes out to you in your grief.

Margo

Latest posts

Back