We lost our first mare...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so sorry this happened to your mare, she was beautifull.

Annette x

HI ,

I lost my mare and foal last January and it was heart breaking , neally gave it all up... but here i am ..so as hard as it is it will get easier.. i know how you feel and i am so sorry
default_sad.png

Oh I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful mare. This just brought tears to my eyes.
default_sad.png

So sorry for your loss of this beautiful girl. It's frightening to hear about and makes me remember how fortunate we are just to be able to have them around.

HI , I lost my mare and foal last January and it was heart breaking , neally gave it all up... but here i am ..so as hard as it is it will get easier.. i know how you feel and i am so sorry
default_sad.png

That is exactly the way I felt ...giving it up crossed my mind. I was hurting so bad that I didn't want to feel like that again. I finally realized to feel a hurt so strong there first has to be an equally strong love. I really do love my horses. So instead I decided to cut back to just my favorites so I can give each of them more attention.

Joanne, sadly we never got a foal from her. She was due summer 2010 to have her first foal by Awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
We lost our first mare and the symptoms sounded exactly like what you experienced.

No interest in eating, quiet, just seemed depressed. Vet said to watch her for a few hours, after a few hours I knew something was terribly wrong and I took her in. They tapped her belly and got blood and sent us to New Jersey. She walked into the hospital and lost her fight.

We assumed she had been kicked. I wonder now if it was a tear in her aorta and just a freak thing.

She was 4 years old and had her first foal by her side. He was 10 wks old when she died.

And this year we lost my favorite little mare during delivery of her first foal (we lost the foal too).

I know your pain when you walk in the barn expecting to see those eyes or hear that nicker.

It does get better, but you will always miss her. Hold her in your heart.

I am so very sorry for the loss of your beautiful mare. When things happen so suddenly like that it is quite a shock. Take care of yourself.

I am very sorry to hear this Jennifer. She was a beautiful mare.

God Bless you, you did all you could do. This is something that is extremely rare, who would have known. The EXACT same thing happened to me and one of my mares too, they treated her for colic only to find out later she was full of blood too. We put her down as soon as we know we could not save her.

Sincerely,

Beth

I am very sorry to hear this Jennifer. She was a beautiful mare.
God Bless you, you did all you could do. This is something that is extremely rare, who would have known. The EXACT same thing happened to me and one of my mares too, they treated her for colic only to find out later she was full of blood too. We put her down as soon as we know we could not save her.

Sincerely,

Beth
Did the vets tell you what caused it?

We lost our first mare and the symptoms sounded exactly like what you experienced.
No interest in eating, quiet, just seemed depressed. Vet said to watch her for a few hours, after a few hours I knew something was terribly wrong and I took her in. They tapped her belly and got blood and sent us to New Jersey. She walked into the hospital and lost her fight.

We assumed she had been kicked. I wonder now if it was a tear in her aorta and just a freak thing.

She was 4 years old and had her first foal by her side. He was 10 wks old when she died.

And this year we lost my favorite little mare during delivery of her first foal (we lost the foal too).

I know your pain when you walk in the barn expecting to see those eyes or hear that nicker.

It does get better, but you will always miss her. Hold her in your heart.
It sounds like the same thing. Did you do a necropsy? My first thought was that my boss mare had kicked Arabesque but the vet said there were no signs of external trauma. She also said that the aorta is very strong like an umbilical cord and it was very unlikely the tear was caused by a kick. I think my vet was afraid to give me an definit cause. I was hoping someone on the forum would be able to help. I tend to agree with Horse feathers and think it was an aneurysm or something out of my control. I hate to think one of the other horses harmed her.

That is so very heartbreaking, I'm so sorry for your loss.
default_sad.png

Jennifer

They did not give a cause for this mare either. Although he did say he did not think it was from a kick. Sometimes I don't think we would ever know the cause, sometimes it is simply ineffective cost wise to try to find out.

One breeder I know spent over 10,000 on necropsy's on the death of one of her stallions, some years ago. She still never found out for sure why he died so suddenly, they think an anurisam - no positive proof according to her after she spent all that money.

Just a thought here, since apparently this is something that has happened to others. Could it by chance have actually been a ruptured ovary rather than the artery? I believe that a mare here locally had an ovary rupture - they lost her as well.

I know that when I took my mare Leah in to the clinic with "shocky" symptoms accompanied by a lot of pain that when they did the ultrasound they saw a pooling of blood in her abdomen, and the belly tap revealed a tummy full of fresh blood. In our case it appeared to be her spleen - but I have often wondered if it might have been a cyst or her ovary. We were able to save her with a lot of coagulants, IV plasma, pain meds and prayers altho it was touch and go for several days

Just wondering out load - I would imagine that with that much blood it would be a "messy necropsy" to deal with.

In any case, I truly understand how you feel - I am still hoping that Sonata can beat the odds altho my vets are quite pessimistic.

((( Hugs ))))

Stacy

Oh Stacy, I'm sending you (((hugs))))too. I hope and pray your mare pulls through. MInis are like part of the family and you try so hard to do all you can for them.

That is definitly something to think about. She said they found a small tear in the aorta close to the kidneys. Yes acording to the vet there was alot of blood. I wish my vet would have done the ultrasound when I took Arabesque in. She was sure it was collic, but from now on I will request it.

My vets did an ultrasound, saw the fluid, did a tap and found the blood.

There was no sign of external trauma that I saw either. She was in with a mare and baby she had been with for 2 months. So I found it hard to believe it was from a kick.

Now I wish I would have had a necropsy, they just assumed it was a ruptured spleen.

She was in foal, not sure about a cyst.

But aneurysm sure sounds like the most probable thing to me.

I had her to the vet within a few hours of finding her depressed that morning and they sent me to New Jersey immediately.

But it was a 1.5 hour drive. It was either there or New Bolton Center.

It was so quick, I know in my head there was nothing we could have done.

My heart goes out to you. I know the helpless feeling and the hole in your heart.

Jennifer,

I am soo sorry to hear about your girl
default_no.gif
She was a gorgeous horse that I admired. We lost our favorite and first mare a couple of years ago and it is terrible. I cried my eyes out for so long. I know that you tried everything that you could but for some reason, it was her time to go. My husband kept trying to ease my pain, but when you have true love and devotion to your horses, it just hurts knowing that they are gone forever and will not hear their nicker in the morning, or see her prancing through the fields. Time will ease your pain, but she will always be in your heart and she will hold a special part in your heart. If you ever need someone to talk to just give a call or email. I understand your frustration with the vet not being able to give you all your answers, it is hard to find a good equine vet it seems like in our area. Rest in peace beautiful girl
default_sad.png

default_no.gif
Jennifer, I am soooo sorry to hear about your beautiful, sweet girl!

HUGS & sending
default_pray.gif
to you and your husband.

Latest posts

Back