We lost our first mare...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsites

Reaction score
This is the first I could bring myself to post.

Last week we lost our 4 year old Double Destiny daughter PK Magnolias Arabesque Destiny. Arabesque was one of my favorite mares. She never took up with the the horses instead followed me around the barn. She was always right in your pocket.

But Tuesday when I went out to feed she didn't want to come in. She stood with her head and ears down, and no interest in eating. I took her into the barn and treated it like colic. I gave her banamine, mylanta for gas, and we walked. She had one small bowel movement but still no interest in anything...not hay...not grain...and not even me. Her gums were pale, mouth very dry and her temp 101.4. Vet says just watch her and keep me posted could be the start of a virus. Arabesque never rolled but finally layed on her side.

At 3 am we took her to the vet. She tubed her with oil, gave more medicine, and IV's. She had no gut sounds and slightly elevated heart rate and started to sweat. I left her side at 5:30 to go to work. At 10:30 the vet called to say she had died. I was crying so hard I couldn't teach and had to go home.

When they opened her for the necropsy she was full of blood. She had a tear in her aorta close to her kidneys? The vet said there were no signs of trauma other than the tear. She couldn't give me a cause. What went wrong? How did this happen?
default_no.gif

We've lost foals but Arabesque was the first mare. It was so hard. My husband (who never cries) helped me lay her to rest under the big oak tree....we cried together.

Here is a picture of my sweet girl Arabesque. She will be missed beyond words. Her crossing came way too early.

Arabesque119-1916Webrt.jpg

Oh I'm sorry, I'm so very, very sorry ((((((HUGS))))))

I am so sorry, it never gets any easier, it doesn't matter if they are 30 years old or 3 days old. My heart sincerely goes out to you and your husband.

Sorry for the loss of your lovely mare. Sound like a aneurysm(Aneurysms most commonly occur in arteries at the base of the brain (the circle of Willis) and in the aorta (the main artery coming out of the heart, a so-called aortic aneurysm). As the size of an aneurysm increases, there is an increased risk of rupture, which can result in severe hemorrhage or other complications including sudden death.) I almost lost my husband to a brain aneurysm last year, no signs. Its not you or your vets fault, they are rare and not something vets (or human doctors) look for. BIG HUG

Oh Jennifer, I'm so sorry you lost your beloved girl!
default_crybaby.gif

She was beautiful! I know the huge pain of losing much loved adult horses and I'm sorry you're going through that now. {{{{Hugs}}}}

Let you know that we are sorry to hear of your loss of your first mare.
default_sad.png

My heart goes out to you all. ((HUGS))

Oh Jennifer,

I am so sorry, she was such a beautiful girl and being a "pocket pony"makes it all the harder. My thoughts are with you.

Stacy

Just this evening I looked at pictures of my little Darla for the 1st time since I lost her 3 years ago. It has been so hard on me losing her. My heart is breaking for you knowing exactly what you are feeling right now. I can only hope that you and your husband can find comfort in each other. What a beautiful mare she was. Prayers to help you get through this terrible time. God Bless.

I am so sorry for your loss.
default_no.gif
She was a beautiful girl.

Barb

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so sorry for your loss. It is never easy loosing any of our beloved horses,but a young mare makes it even harder. Especially a pocket pet. My heart goes out to you.

Latest posts

Back