We killed Osama Bin Laden !!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Bob --Captain (C6) US Navy on the USS Enterprise brother-in-law

Tricia--US Navy Nurse sister

Nick--US Navy Nurse nephew

Michael--US Army [i] nephew[/i]

Kyle --US Army Ranger--Shot 3 times during a raid in Afghanistan and darn near lost his life. niece's husband

I am extremely proud of them and all military who put their lives on the line for us. Navy Seals..........YOU ROCK!!!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah

I'm glad he's gone..........

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not saying I am sorry he's gone- au contraire- he was here using up oxygen that good folks need in my opinion. I just dont see the point in dwelling on this so much in the media, and infuriating the already 'furious' (nutso) enemy as I am sure more retaliation is coming. In addition, I dont believe he deserved this much coverage- I would have made a simple announcement that he was 'gone' and been done with it.

For some reason, the media thinks we need to report everything 5000 times to the point of just babbling as they have nothing new to say. I just would not be wasting this much film footage on a piece of dirt such as he was.

I am not sad he is gone in any way, but I think it a little 'tasteless' to publicly celebrate anyone's death - I dont care who you are- JMO. I thought it was tasteless when they did it to us, and I feel it is tasteless doing the same.

In regards to the scriptures- nope, sometimes God is not kind, but he is God. We are NOT.

Oh goodness, I feel I should clarify. I said thank you in response to a post because I didn't feel the "dance in the streets" feeling over this, and the post helped me to understand my feelings. “Somber reflection” more describes my reaction to the news. I am glad the man is not able to hurt any more people. I am glad the government is doing what they think is best. I'm very appreciative of those who look out for our freedom. And I pray this brought some peace and closure for those who lost someone on 9/11.

ETA: Laurie, I feel the same. And I certainly do not want to gaze at his photo every time I open yahoo, and there is no way I would ever willingly look at a picture of him dead.

As a teacher, I copied the front page story for my class to read for morning work as this is certainly important news for them to be aware of, and I felt we had a very appropriate, short discussion for a 5th grade class.

Well said barnbum- kind of summarizes my feelings as well. And I will add that I am extremely impressed with those that put their lives on the line to get the job done and go in and do what they did- and none of our guys harmed. Way to go- they are truly heroes!

Interesting topic - because I just got to Europe today for work, and was discussing this with colleagues from Austria, Germany, Switzerland, France and the US. General concensus is everyone is glad he's gone; Europeans especially are more concerned about repercussions, because the feeling is that retaliatory attacks would be more attacks of convenience by isolated groups or individuals, which would make them more likely to occur in Europe than in the US (the US attacks require more planning and co-ordination just because of distance - unless it's an American Muslim.) Even my muslim colleagues are glad he is gone though. As far as the celebration in the streets of the US - I understand the feeling, and to tell the truth, I think we should be able to celebrate that a fanatical murderer no longer walks the planet.

Here's the big thing though that I realized while reading these comments - the difference between the US and these fanatical muslims and the governments that support them - notice the wide range of opinions on this thread - all being expressed in a (generally) civil manner - THAT is the strength of our country. That we can agree to disagree is to me the most obvious and fundamental freedom we have, and it is that which separates us from the totalitarian regimes.

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will DEFEND TO THE DEATH your right to say it!"

Jill I agree with you and you are 100 percent right.

I guess for me it brings the threat that is and will always be there to the forefront. Kinda like when I lived in So Cal..we had a HUGE earthquake I lost everything to the damage or looters and then a few months later most are no longer thinking about being prepared till the next one hits.. You know what I mean??

I am glad they took him out. Wish it had been sooner. I was working in directory assistance on 9-11. That memory will always be with me. I really do not like watching all the celebrating because it brings the pain back. He got what he deserved with the bullet. And he is getting what he deserves in eternity. I have dreams that..., well are very symbolic and whenever I have one of them I pay attention. I had one Saturday night that really had me pay attention. I actually bolted out bed. I told my husband Sunday morning that "something big" is about to happen. And it did.

I salute our Navy Seals for their courage and honor. I hear all the reasons for why we buried him at sea. I'll buy all those reasons but I personally am pleased that we got rid of the body without mulling over a bunch of decision making. I am not showing any outward signs of celebrating but in my heart I am pleased that WE GOT HIM.

What I posted is my opinion, I posted it because it expressed it more eloquently than I could have.

It is good that he is gone. I do believe in the death penalty whole heartedly, not a bleeding heart liberal either.

As far as the celebration in the streets of the US - I understand the feeling, and to tell the truth, I think we should be able to celebrate that a fanatical murderer no longer walks the planet.

Here's the big thing though that I realized while reading these comments - the difference between the US and these fanatical muslims and the governments that support them - notice the wide range of opinions on this thread - all being expressed in a (generally) civil manner - THAT is the strength of our country. That we can agree to disagree is to me the most obvious and fundamental freedom we have, and it is that which separates us from the totalitarian regimes.
Although I didn't quote your entire post, you made many valid points. Yes, we have the right to disagree, and this topic is one of those occurrences which cause a lot of emotional debate. I was a military mom (two sons in the Gulf War... one a Ranger and Captain, the other enlisted), and now I am a military grandmother whose grandson just got back last week from Kandahar, and who I will be able to see tomorrow. My brother is a retired Colonel, and over half of the rest of the family was or is in the military.

For me, my joy in Bin Laden's death goes hand in hand with my over-abundant pride in our military and especially our Special Forces. I completely understand how some people, due to deep religious convictions, find it difficult to say they "celebrate" anyone's death, and I apologize to anyone I initially offended who was coming from this perspective. I am not a christian, so I am afraid I overlooked that aspect of some of the earlier comments.

I just want to add to the LB forum members with military family members...

THANK YOU, thank you, thank you. The sacrifices of your loved ones allow us to have this debate. TO completely disagree with each other...to be Muslim, Christian and complete non believers and all be treated the same.

We hear on the news on almost a daily basis how some young soldier has lost their life and we hardly pause in our busy lives to realize what has just happened. It's a blip on the news between getting a glass of wine and starting to cook dinner.

Someone's loved one, someone's child, brother, sister, husband, wife, friend has just paid the ULTIMATE price so that we can sit here and have this debate.

So from the bottom of my heart...THANK YOU for ALL you give.

Posted by a friend:

I have a hard time celebrating the death of another human being, even if I think his behavior is reprehensible. I remember the anger and disbelief I felt when I watched the videos of muslims celebrating the attacks of 09/11. We need to act with dignity and not inflame this problem any further. I just pray for peace and a better world for my kids.

Another one : "I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that" Martin Luther King, Jr.

Very well said and I agree with your perspective.....

I also pray for peace and the safe return of our armed forces....

I love Ann Coulter's quote: "While the form of treachery varies slightly from case to case, liberals always manage to take the position that most undermines American security."
Anne Coulter and her usual haughty generalizations do not apply in any way to this situation. Plus she will say ANYTHING - the more Out There the better, just to get quoted and noticed.
default_yes.gif

No matter - IMO this is also NOT the situation where it is yet another "Us vs. Them" thing. This has nothing to do with liberals (even bleeding heart ones) or conservatives or red and blue... or pointing the finger at Clinton or anyone else. Watching some of the politicians on each side do exactly that in the past day and jockey for position annoyed the heck outta me.

Another one : "I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that" Martin Luther King, Jr.
This quote has been making the rounds today but the bolded part was never said by MLK.
default_smile.png
That is someone else's thought that was grafted onto MLK's words... which are pretty much along the lines of an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth makes the whole world blind and toothless.

Me? I'm glad OBL's gone - simply because it provides a bit of closure for so many. And the info that was found at that compound may undermine a lot of Al Qaeddah (sp?) plans. It might have been better if he could have been taken alive and had that video plastered all over the place - imagine it - OBL in orange coveralls in handcuffs ( and thus no whacky conspiracy theories and "deathers")... but what's done is done and those Navy SEALs should be applauded.

Posted by a friend:

I have a hard time celebrating the death of another human being, even if I think his behavior is reprehensible. I remember the anger and disbelief I felt when I watched the videos of muslims celebrating the attacks of 09/11. We need to act with dignity and not inflame this problem any further. I just pray for peace and a better world for my kids.

I just cannot celebrate the death of another being. Don't get me wrong, God bless the USA. I just can't be happy that another human being, however reprehensible, has been slain by the hand of another. Peace be with all of you.

Jill I agree with you and you are 100 percent right.

I guess for me it brings the threat that is and will always be there to the forefront. Kinda like when I lived in So Cal..we had a HUGE earthquake I lost everything to the damage or looters and then a few months later most are no longer thinking about being prepared till the next one hits.. You know what I mean??
Lisa, yes, I definitely understand what you mean
default_yes.gif

I just can't be happy that another human being, however reprehensible, has been slain by the hand of another.
It is a good thing that all don't share that feeling, because someone has to go out there, risk THEIR lives, and GET 'ER DONE...

I don't think anyone is celebrating the death of a human being. I think it's more symbolic. Its not the man - it's the deeds. I think we're celebrating the end of the deeds. It gives us back that little bit of control. For the past 10 years our lives have changed because of this man. Just try to fly and you'll see that. He took our innocence. He took our feeling of safety. We all sat as a nation in shock and horror as the twin towers were brought to the ground with peoples family members still inside. He changed us that day. The attack on the Cole happened on foreign soil, the Embassy bombings were on foreign soil but Usama brought his hate to our home. He changed an entire nation. We all realized that we're not safe anywhere. He declared war.

He took away our feeling of control. He killed thousands and got away with it.

I don't think it's the killing on of man that we're celebrating. I think it's deeper than that. I think we're celebrating the tiny bit of control we get back knowing he's no more. The satisfaction of knowing the person responsible for such horrendous evil is no longer getting away with it.

An eye for an eye makes the world blind...Yes, it does. But, IMO you have to take that in the context of everyday people making a difference, caring, sharing, giving. Once in a while in the worlds history evil exists. Hitler, Usama (won't go into the list) you can't convince these people not to do what they do. My sons college roommate's grandfather was taken into Auschwitz as a child. 53 of his family members went in with him. His mother, father, grandparents on both sides, brothers, sisters, aunties, uncles, cousins and friends. He came out alone. I would celebrate the end of Hitler too.

The end of Usama Bin Laden won't rewind the clock. It won't give us back our feelings of safety and innocence but it's a small symbolic step in that direction...that's what I think we're celebrating.

The end of Usama Bin Laden won't rewind the clock. It won't give us back our feelings of safety and innocence but it's a small symbolic step in that direction...that's what I think we're celebrating.
Well said, miniwhinny.

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will DEFEND TO THE DEATH your right to say it!"

I can agree with the above statement the most and so will stay right there.

Bobs Bridges

"Please see us first when buying your next bridge"

chiming in here and then quickly leaving because I just don't really care for these debates. I am glad the man is dead and am one who would have stood in line to pull the trigger. However, do not fool yourselves into thinking the threat is gone. He has been replaced and there are others who are just waiting for their opportunity. America has lost that innocense of being invincible forever.

We will never board another transportation vessel without some thought of what if. We will always assume that an attack is possible. I only pray that we have leaders always in place who take it seriously and have the military to continue to protect American interests.

Back