We killed Osama Bin Laden !!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to those of you for the kind words. One thing I do want to make clear, I am agnostic but believe in living a good, honest life and respecting the lives and beliefs of others. As someone who had a long term relationship with a Muslim, and who works for a Muslim, I respect their beliefs and absolutely feel they are no more like Bin Laden than we are like Charles Manson or Hitler. I found a link to this blog this morning, and wanted to share it with you all.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/02/is-it-morally-right-to-celebrate-bin-ladens-death/

By John Blake, CNN

One newspaper headline eulogy read, “Rot in heck.” Televised chants echoed:

“U.S.A.! U.S.A!”

Americans spilled into the streets for spontaneous celebrations after news spread that Osama bin Laden, the al Qaeda leader behind the 9/11 terrorist attacks, had been assassinated.

Yet another reaction took place in more sober moments as people of faith watched the giddy celebrations with a tangled mix of emotions.

Is it morally wrong to celebrate the assassination of bin Laden in such a festive, patriotic way?

That’s the question that troubled Danielle Tumminio, an Episcopal priest, who fought back tears as she digested the news that bin Laden had been killed.

Tumminio was in New York on September 11, 2001. Her Long Island neighborhood, filled with lawyers, stockbrokers and firefighters, lost scores of people in the attacks.

“I remember coming home and smelling the smoke, seeing the debris and going to the funerals,” Tumminio says. “I actually studied abroad because I wanted to get away from feeling unsafe.”

But when Tumminio saw images of Americans celebrating, she felt something else: moral ambivalence.

Osama bin Laden's death: How should we feel?

“My first reaction was, ‘I wish I was with them,’” Tumminio says. “My second reaction was, ‘This is disgusting. We shouldn’t be celebrating the death of anybody.’ It felt gross.”

Jubilance, exaltation, revulsion - all those emotions mingled as people of faith struggled to find an appropriate response to bin Laden’s death.

No one we interviewed for this story denied the importance of bin Laden’s death; the heroism of the American soldiers; the importance of serving justice.

But religious leaders of different faiths say no one should rejoice in the death of a person, even a hated enemy.

Rabbi Shmuel Herzfeld says that when people hear about the downfall of an enemy, rabbis often remind them of a verse from Proverbs: “Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, and do not let your heart be glad when he stumbles.”

Herzfeld - who is the rabbi of Ohev Sholom, The National Synagogue, the oldest and largest Orthodox synagogue in Washington, D.C. - says that according to the Talmud, “God does not rejoice with the fall of the wicked.”

“As the rabbinic teaching goes, as the children of Israel were crossing the sea and the army of Pharaoh was drowning, God rebuked the angels for showing excessive joy,” Herzfeld says.

Emad El-Din Shahin, a professor of religion at the University of Notre Dame, says the Quran also teaches reverence for every life, even the most repugnant ones.

He says Islam stresses that the death of a person should be observed in a respectful and solemn way for all people, not just Muslims.

He told a story from Islam to illustrate his point.

The Prophet Mohammad was sitting by a road one day when a funeral procession came by. The prophet stood up out of respect, says Shahin.

“The people with him told him, ‘But he’s not a Muslim.’

“The Prophet Mohammad said, ‘Isn’t it a human soul?’”

Shahin says most Muslims reject the notion that bin Laden was a Muslim leader.

“Bin Laden did not represent Islam or Muslims,” Shahin says. “He was an aberration. Most of the teachings and practices of al Qaeda were condemned by the majority of Muslim scholars and populations.”

One Christian leader pointed to a biblical story from the life of Jesus. Scott Appleby, a history professor who studies the roots of religious violence at Notre Dame, said that when Jesus was surrounded by guards near the end of his life, one of his disciples picked up a sword.

Jesus rebuked the disciple, saying, “Those who live by the sword die by the sword.”

“Certainly Osama bin Laden, who lived by the sword, received the world’s form of justice,” says Appleby. “But do we really think that violence, even a ‘justified’ act of violence, has the capacity to heal the wounds inflicted by violence - or to end the cycle of violence?”

Some leaders say that dancing on bin Laden’s grave is wrong from an ethical point of view as well.

“Killing someone should never be a cause for celebration or joy,” says Rick Halperin, past chairman of the board of directors of Amnesty International USA.

“We as a nation are repulsed when we see Muslims dancing over the death of

Americans. Why would we think our reaction would not be seen as disgusting behavior to them?”

The best reaction would be “somber reflection,” says Halperin, who is also director of Southern Methodist University’s Embrey Human Rights Program.

Tumminio, the Episcopal priest, has already arrived at that place. She says she plans to preach a sermon about the appropriate reaction to bin Laden’s death. She’s still sorting through what she will say.

“I think people have a right to celebrate. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with holding up American flags. But I don’t think we should celebrate the taking of life.”

There’s at least one sentiment she feels no ambivalence about.

Bin Laden’s death should give the United States something else its citizens have craved since September 11, 2001.

“I think this is going to be unifying for us,” she says. “Very few things have been unifying for us in the past 10 years.”

default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif
I'm VERY happy he's dead and happier still that he was killed by an American soldier
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

I am literally sick to death of all this political "PC" garbage and bleeding heart liberals who wish to impose their whining "I hate to see someone celebrating the death of a human being" on those of us who are thrilled to death that this piece of filth has been removed from the earth.
AGREED!!! I love Ann Coulter's quote: "While the form of treachery varies slightly from case to case, liberals always manage to take the position that most undermines American security." In my opinion, political correctness doesn't make us better or nicer, it just keeps us from saying some of the things that are actually the most valid and worthwhile. Honestly, one recent "finger wagging" post to you here just made me think all the more about whiny liberals... annoying, transparent and totally unsurprising.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am extremely glad he is gone if it's all true...am I doing cartwheels over it? no, but I did toast to my military when I heard the news. I didn't get to watch much news yesterday, have they released any pics/tapes? Am I the only one who has questions and is alittle skeptical right now?

Sonya, there are a lot of rumors and speculation. Supposedly, there is hesitation to release photos because they are graphic -- however, it seems to me that most red blooded Americans have wanted to see a bullet in OBL's skull for nearly a decade. It won't be graphic enough to upset me I'm quite sure. Recent rumor (w/in the past hour) has it that the White House may release a single image today, and I heard earlier this morning that video footage of the burial at sea may also be released.

i have to say i'm in the middle, i'm relieved that he's dead but i'm also worried what Al Quieda will do to get back at us for killing him
default_unsure.png

This probably has them plotting revenge as we speak
default_unsure.png

i have to say i'm in the middle, i'm relieved that he's dead but i'm also worried what Al Quieda will do to get back at us for killing him
default_unsure.png

This probably has them plotting revenge as we speak
default_unsure.png
Molly, you're right to be concerned but realize that our Nation was top of the terrorists' list of targets before we killed OBL. Nothing has really changed in that department. They've been plotting against us full time for years and years.

Yep, felling one tree does not make the forest disappear and by keeping all this in the media that forest may just burst into flames. He was not the only terrorist out there and where you cut down one tree, another will grow in it's place.

By making a public spectacle out of all this, would have been exactly what he wanted- they dont care if they die for crying out loud- they call the suicide bombers for a reason.

I wish the media would just drop it and quit sensationalizing everything to the point they are repeating themselves 800 times....

I also remember the disgust I felt when the opposing forces cheered over the 9/11 hits and other evil things they did- by doing the same, what makes us any better than they are?

I also remember the disgust I felt when the opposing forces cheered over the 9/11 hits and other evil things they did- by doing the same, what makes us any better than they are?
Cheering the death of thousands of innocent Americans vs. rejoicing in the elimination of a mass murder and terrorist leader... Really, where's the comparison?

Cheering the death of thousands of innocent Americans vs. rejoicing in the elimination of a mass murder and terrorist leader... Really, where's the comparison?
Gotta admit she's got a very valid point there.
default_yes.gif

If we're quoting religion - let's at least get it right with what god really feels about killing, vengeance and your ememies.

Deuteronomy 32

32:35 "To me [God] belongeth vengeance, and recompense ... for the day of their destruction is at hand."

32:39 See now that I, even I, am HE, I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand.

32:41 If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me.

32:42 I will make mine arrows drunk with blood, and my sword shall devour flesh; and that with the blood of the slain and of the captives, from the beginning of revenges upon the enemy.

32:43 Rejoice, O ye nations, with his people: for he will avenge the blood of his servants, and will render vengeance to his adversaries, and will be merciful unto his land, and to his people.

default_wink.png

The god of the bible is in no way loving. In fact not counting the millions of innocents he intentionally drowned in the great flood and burned alive in S & G, and wiped out in plagues, the ACTUAL researchable number of people killed by god, documented in the bible, comes to

2,476,633 the calculated number is as high as 25 MILLION !!!! If he lived today he'd be tried as a genocidal maniac.

If you think or don't think killing OBL is good or bad, moral or immoral...go for it for your own morality. Religious people who sit preaching how god wouldn't like it amaze me because god relished in killing people. In fact he enchouraged it. It's right there, in black and white, indisputable, in the bible.
default_wink.png
default_biggrin.png

And just so there's no doubt where I stand on this issue. I'm THRILLED he's dead. I'm thrilled that a member of the US Navy Seals had the honor and pleasure of doing it. And I think a memorial to him would have been awesome...a glass box with his head in it - on display at ground zero where for a dollar any man (or woman) willing could drop his (her) pants and mark the territory for all those who have perished because of this b*****d.
default_risa8.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

Do I think this is all over because he's dead...no way. Am I going to crawl in a hole in fear of what this may have started...No WAY !!! I'm American, I'm proud of it and I say to anyone wanting to destroy our way of life and our innocent families...

"Bring it on baby!"

Thanks to those of you for the kind words. One thing I do want to make clear, I am agnostic but believe in living a good, honest life and respecting the lives and beliefs of others. As someone who had a long term relationship with a Muslim, and who works for a Muslim, I respect their beliefs and absolutely feel they are no more like Bin Laden than we are like Charles Manson or Hitler.

Boy those are some true words.

While I am happy that this man in particular was taken care of I have to admit I do worry what is to come next. For his followers we have made him even more of a hero
default_no.gif

While I am happy that this man in particular was taken care of I have to admit I do worry what is to come next. For his followers we have made him even more of a hero
default_no.gif
There has been strong reason to have been concerned all along. There's very little that is more important than strong National defense and security programs. Without those, we really may not have an economy, personal liberties, or little horses to worry over. We might not have a USA. It's nearly immaterial that we've taken OBL out of the picture when it comes to terrorist rage and animosity against our Nation. We're just as much at the top of their "most hated" list today as we were on Sunday morning. They still just hate us more than they hate any other Nation. They want to eliminate us now. They wanted to eliminate us last week, last month, last year, etc. Sure, they're now swearing out revenge, but haven't they been making declarations about their war on the USA and that they will bring us to our knees for a long, long time? Yes, they have. We need to pursue our Nation's interest and defense without regard for angering the perpetually angry terrorists. There will never be a way to appease them, and there is also no moral or patriotic reason to try.

God bless the US MILITARY who completed their mission to take out Bin Laden. It is refreshing to see justice prevail. Thank you!!!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

I'm used to this sort of language directed at me, but I'm truly angry to hear such rude, ethnocentric garbage aimed at such kind, sincere people as sfminis, barnbum and horsehug.

You may speak of "an eye for an eye," but THEY are the ones following the words of Jesus.

Thank you, sfminis, for reminding us that, even when we are proud to see justice prevail, we can still remember who we are supposed to be: a nation that respects all life.
I'm sorry, but you are pointing a finger at me where it is not deserved. I certainly did NOT go after sfminis, barnbum, or horsebug.

I responded to a post that sfmini said was "posted by a friend." So, I was responding to the "un-named" person who originally posted that. And, I have a feeling that the original post that came from was actually first broadcast on NPR radio, as I heard the exact same words spoken on it on Monday morning. THAT was what I was responding to. To the people who are disturbed by Americans who rejoice in the death of an insane murderer of innocents, women, and children.

Our nation is celebrating this event, as it should be. But no matter how much we, as Americans, gather together on any subject, there is always going to be a group who wants to throw a wet blanket on the celebration, because they are "offended." Well, you know what? No one has a constitutional right to NOT be offended.

I do not make personal attacks on people on this board. What you are trying to do, susanne, is bring sfminis, barnbum, and horsehug into your camp, by including them in your post, and trying to make it look like I made an "attack" on them. You are blowing smoke.

As far as I know, sfminis did NOT make that post and say it was HER opinion. It might very well be, but if someone has the right to post their opinion on this matter, I have as much right to post mine.

Molly, you're right to be concerned but realize that our Nation was top of the terrorists' list of targets before we killed OBL. Nothing has really changed in that department. They've been plotting against us full time for years and years.
i know, but this may give them more motiviation.

I dont think this will give them any more power then it ever did. Nothings going to change until they are all dead. Taking out the leader only means their will be a new leader. You can bet money on them having a plan for the day that this happened.

Regretfully there are extremists in every relgion, culture and country. We even have them here, just look at Westboro Babtist Church. Killing this one man, is only the tip of the iceburg, and what scares me most are the home grown terriosts that believed in this mans teachings and his ways. They could be your neighbor or standing in line with you at the store, you won't know until they strike, but, I'm with Miniwhinny, I am proud Cherokee, proud American, yes you can bring it on baby, I will fight you till the death to save all I hold dear.

God Bless America!

I think the wide array of emotional responses to the news (as well as in this thread) is natural. We're all different, so we're going to react in different ways, and honestly I think we as Americans live such sheltered lives that many of us are still struggling with our feelings over 9/11. Hopefully Bin Laden's death will offer some much-needed resolution, even if it's short-lived. MLK, who is heavily quoted in this thread (and once erroneously), also said this:

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it."

I think we can all agree with that, even if we "protest" evil in different ways.

Back