-WE HAVE A FOAL - 3 days old NEW Pic's + Vid of first time outside - Page 3

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BM Miniatures

Reaction score
HEALTHY BABY BOY!

Silver Bay like MOM

Star and a Snip and Possibly 2 blue eyes.

Had 2 toes but no NOSE, went in to check, found it way back so pulled until a little white nose appeared and a tounge hanging out the side LOL It moved it wen I touched it so i new it was alive! LOL

Finally with a lot of effort his head went POP out and then Out he slid with some help pulling down towards her hocks!!

OMG WHAT A RUSH.

I am HOME ALONE foaling a mare for the first time and a 30" MAIDEN at that. My dad usually foals them, we have only done 1 biggy and 1 old pro mini who pops them out like no worries... I Couldn't get though to the vet straight away even tho I called him and told him she was close and to have his phone on by time he called back all is well.

This mare was my first show filly, we have been though so much together and Now I helped her first baby into the world
default_smile.png

Sorry not good photo's as we have no light in the barn except for my torch :p Will get more when its light!

P8010012.jpg

P8010014.jpg

P8010016.jpg

P8010020.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like I'd keep my eyes on her.. Haven't had a maiden mare on the farm yet, but the signs she's given the good ole experienced broodies do too, and with her being a maiden I'd want to keep a super close eye on her anyway! Good luck and will be watching for a foal announcement!

Another sign to check is how soft her butt muscles are. I call it a "jello butt".

You might want to read up on the thread on foaling in the BEST OF forum! Good luck! Sounds like she is very close.

thanks guys!

I can express a few drops of very Sticky yellow fluid! Had a tiny amount dryed on the ends too!! She has been flicking her tail, rubbing her butt and Kicking her stomach from about 2:30pm(its 5pm now) She is now grazing again with the occasional tail flick...

I think we could have a foal sooN!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey,

any foal yet? sounds like she is real close! we had a mare rub her butt so bad she had burns around her vulva...it was pretty painful looking. she had her foal about 24hrs later... she waxed the day of and never milked...this was her first foal,and we were anxious. but she delivered him just fine and i have never seen a mare literaly lick a foal dry! but she did! she licked him for about an hour.....So i would say your mare is probably REALLY close!!! GOOD LUCK!
default_biggrin.png
and let us know if its a boy/girl!

Maybe it is! i know our mare never really did anything by the book. we knew she was in labor bc she had rubbed her butt so bad and she had "cow patties". she didnt even sweat or steam when she went down. she was eating her hay(it was a stormy night) and kept waling around in her stall like she was uncomfortable. went back to eating,and stood at the barn door and slept....she was boring at this point...lol...then she walked to the back of the stall,pawed around for a spot to lay(we just though she was goingto lay down)well she went down,started looking at her belly and all of a sudden her water broke. it sounded like a river! then the foal came....she was calm and quiet through this whole process,which was weird bc she had never had a foal and normally thier first foals they give you alot more warning...just cant wait till next year. we bought a mare and the lady sais she acts like shes going to have it every night for weeks!!! that will be fun!!

*Hope you get pics of the birth!

Very cute baby Congrats and GOOD JOB on getting him here safe and sound!

I am curious what are you using for bedding? is it paper?

Very cute baby Congrats and GOOD JOB on getting him here safe and sound!I am curious what are you using for bedding? is it paper?
Hi Lisa, yes its a bedding called Airlite.

made from corrugated cardboard. It is virtually dust free, low in bacteria, mould free and highly biodegradable.

Urine runs straight through a corrugated cardboard bed to the stable floor and is then absorbed from the bottom. Leaving the top layer dry and odourless.

As long as the floor of the stall is dry corrugated cardboard bedding will retain its springy feel with excellent cushioning and insulating properties.

Latest posts

Back