We are all just doomed..... Obamacare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I didn't have insurance and working on a payment plan with a hospital, my bill was reduced significantly from the original charge....why? She flat out told me that costs were inflated to insurance companies so the hospital could make up their losses from those who don't have insurance and don't pay the hospital....they have different prices for different insurance companies as well and if I am paying on my own, the cost is much less because they are not inflating the cost to make up for their losses. So yes palrt of the high costs are because of others that don't pay...it came right from the horses mouth. I'm sure there are other reason that costs are so high but non payment is definately one.

Thanks Margo

Last edited by a moderator:
So yes part of the high costs are because of others that don't pay...it came right from the horses mouth. I'm sure there are other reasons as welk that costs are so high but non payment is one of them.
And therefore if everyone pays something, it figures that the cost will be lower.

When I didn't have insurance and working on a payment plan with a hospital, my bill was reduced significantly from the original charge....why?
That is great that they worked with you that way. When I had to come up with huge amounts of $$$ after 5 days in the hospital and insurance only covered half of it - the bill was not reduced by the hospital in any way. Not a chance.

One doctor I saw at the ER for only about 3 minutes cost me $450. The next one I saw for about the same amount of time was twice that - and those were the cheapest items on the bill(s). I paid the minimum on all of them until I had them paid off - and I have been left with no savings/nest egg. Nothing. No cushion. Oh well. Back to living paycheck to paycheck but it is what it is.
default_yes.gif

Even if you have all the insurance you can afford, you can be wiped out by one emergency... and IMO many out there bellowing about healthcare have no concept of that and think it will never happen to them. And when some of the loudest brayers are members of Congress who have a very nice benefit/healthcare package, I just sigh at the hypocrisy. Do as I say and not as I do over and over again...

I would certainly agree that Congress should be required by law to have only the SAME programs of benefits/healthcare available to everyone else, and on the same terms.

Margo

I totally agree, Margo, and I believe most everyone (except those in congress) would agree, no matter what their side in this debate.

Tab, it is good to hear from you. I still pray for you every day.
Thank you Vickie, Know that your prayers have made a difference!

Speaking to some of you who put your trust in popular news sources; hope that there doesn't come a day where you are under media scrutiny, because to embellish the truth to sell their magazines, papers, or broadcasts, to push their liberal agendas, or to cover up their mistakes, they lie. People are going to then choose the media lies over your truth. Few are going to come to you to get it straight from the source, fewer people are going to believe you having first heard the fairy tales in the paper.

Also, I hear the most about fear mongering in the US from the side of the aisle that wants to ban guns, says people are making the planet unlivable, and impose silly yet constrictive rules on the people to protect us from ourselves. It seems a lot like fear mongering in action to me!

Well that was a rather ironic post, Tab
default_smile.png

Tab, I'm neither right nor left, I'm in the middle, yes I own a 22 rifle, and two hunting shotguns, but I do feel that assault rifles such as automatics should be banned from the general public. We've seen too often the pain that they inflick, they belong with the military. Yes I do feel that some are making Mother EArth inhabitable, they are using up resources and depleting reserves. There are litterers, hoarders, trashy people that throw garbage into our oceans and on our lands, they pollute the air, then complain. I go out every day and pick up litter from in front of my farm from people that can't be bothered to take it home and dispose of it. We all need to come together and protect Mother EArth, we need to respect her, the sky, and the oceans! If you are against this, then I'm sorry, but we all have to live here and preserve what we have for future generations. Yes, I'm proud Cherokee and this is my land, is it yours too?

Tab, I'm neither right nor left, I'm in the middle, yes I own a 22 rifle, and two hunting shotguns, but I do feel that assault rifles such as automatics should be banned from the general public. We've seen too often the pain that they inflick, they belong with the military. Yes I do feel that some are making Mother EArth inhabitable, they are using up resources and depleting reserves. There are litterers, hoarders, trashy people that throw garbage into our oceans and on our lands, they pollute the air, then complain. I go out every day and pick up litter from in front of my farm from people that can't be bothered to take it home and dispose of it. We all need to come together and protect Mother EArth, we need to respect her, the sky, and the oceans! If you are against this, then I'm sorry, but we all have to live here and preserve what we have for future generations. Yes, I'm proud Cherokee and this is my land, is it yours too?
Well said Riverrose
default_smile.png

Guess when you think you're heading off to a "better place" after this one there's not much incentive to take care of our Mother Earth is there
default_sad.png
I personally couldn't think of a better place than right here - looking out over snow capped mountains from the middle of a 2000 year old Juniper forest
default_smile.png
And back to the O.P. I got to have a little chuckle that Mrs. Butineedanotherhorsebeforehealthinsurance may have to fork out for her coverage rather than have me pay extra for mine so she's covered ;)

Ok, so normally I wouldn't post. . . BUT I work for one of those "big and bad" pharmaceutical companies, and would like to add my 2 cents. Are drugs expensive? Yup. Does the US subsidize the lower cost of drugs in the rest of the world? Yes. We pay more so others can pay less. Do you know what it takes to develop a new drug? Right now my company has the lowest cost per new drug approval of any major pharma - at $3.9 BILLION per drug. . . . patent usually has 10-12 years left by the time that the drug is approved, and patent fights will add a few more billion to the cost, before generics come in and undercut the price. ( By the way, the reason generics can be so much less expensive, is because they have no research needed, and very little confirmatory testing (we also have a generics business in my company), they essentially utilize the research of the innovator company). When you say pharma companies don't care for patients, who exactly are you talking about? The executives, the line workers? Our company is nearly 100,000 people - all of whom have families with members who have health issues - of anyone, trust me, pharma employees and executives think of the patients when they are making medicines.

With that all said, you still need to realize that prescription drugs are only a small fraction of health care spending, however, they tend to be the portion that almost everyone sees. A huge number of people take some type of medication - more than those who have catastrophic health bills. But we have to understand that we have a healthcare system that has MULTIPLE issues, and that it needs a holistic review and analysis of the REAL causes of high costs - which include high insurance costs for doctors and a legal system that allows multimillion dollar court settlements for mistakes or errors. Tort reform MUST be included with health care reform - but since Congress is run by lawyers, that's unlikely to ever happen.

Along with that, people need to realize that not everyone needs or should have every medical test / treatment there is. . .If it sounds cold hearted, then I guess it is. . . should my husband's best friend, a lifelong meth addict and dealer, have gotten Medicaid to pay for a full set of dental implants when he was terminal with Stage 4 colon cancer? Really? Should we all be given the latest and greatest blood pressure drugs because we don't want to exercise and eat right (and I'm included in that group by the way)? Does a 95 year old need a quadruple bypass (actual situation, paid for by Medicare - my sister-in-laws mother)? And above all, we need to understand that EVERYTHING in life has risk, and the risk / benefit and cost/benefit both have to be considered.

And here's probably my biggest issue - we need to realize we're all going to die. I see so many people that it seems like they will do anything to avoid death. . . .including whatever it takes at whatever cost to stave it off, no matter who has to pay, instead of taking the time they have to enjoy and appreciate life.

- which include high insurance costs for doctors and a legal system that allows multimillion dollar court settlements for mistakes or errors. Tort reform MUST be included with health care reform - but since Congress is run by lawyers, that's unlikely to ever happen
Keeps them on their toes though doesn't it? In the U.K. Where healthcare is government run there is a maximum amount you can sue for...$10,000! Not much incentive to keep a patient alive if the max you'll be fined is $10,000!!!

Keeps them on their toes though doesn't it? In the U.K. Where healthcare is government run there is a maximum amount you can sue for...$10,000! Not much incentive to keep a patient alive if the max you'll be fined is $10,000!!!

Unfortunately, no, it just makes them order batteries of tests that are unnecessary, trying to ensure they've covered themselves incase they are sued. . . . I've read multiple studies regarding the number of unnecessary tests and extra work that is done to ensure doctors can defend themselves in litigation - not to mention the exorbitant malpractice insurance rates. . . all of which is passed on to the consumer.

Flying Minis, your posts make some great points and backed up with a lot of thought and real life understanding.

I agree that Tort Reform is part of the answer. I know that for every medicine that makes it to market, there are many others that required heavy funding and time but for one reason or another did not make it to market. I know that allowing insurance companies to compete across state lines would bring down premium costs.

The answers are out there but some people cannot release their "witch hunt" or the "government should take care of me" mentality.

I for one really appreciate you chiming in and making such astute points. I really enjoyed your posts.

Another thing regarding large malpractice claims and tort reform -- I suspect what doctors fear more than a large settlement being paid (for which they insure themselves) is that they fear they will lose their insurance. When the insurance companies are on the hook for such large dollar figures, they're not likely to take second chances. If a doctor loses his coverage, the hospitals will not allow him to work there or use their facilities. He's effectively out of business. I know if I could not secure E & O (Errors & Omissions) insurance, I would not be able to practice. I'm sure it's the same for doctors.

I understand about the practice of medicine and the hoops doctors are required to jump through now as far as having a terrible burden of paperwork, etc. and justifying everything they do. I don't think those of you who aren't in the medical field can begin to understand the stress the practice of medicine has become. The majority of doctors just want to deliver outstanding patient care and they are so rolled in red tape, it's hard to do that.

I believe in some tort reform when it comes to frivolous claims but I don't believe in capping judgments when there is true malpractice and egregious errors.

But I was thinking about the name of this thread "We are all doomed" and especially in light of the horrific massacre in Colorado. Perhaps we should start a thread seeking common ground and celebrating what is positive about life in this country and how each of us in our own small way will work to effect positive change according to our beliefs whether we are Republican, Democrat or Libertarian.

I don't think I'm doomed. Obamacare might come to pass, Romney might get elected but the sun will rise every morning, my horses will nicker to me and I'll go about my day trying to enjoy the moments I'm alive.

I believe in some tort reform when it comes to frivolous claims but I don't believe in capping judgments when there is true malpractice and egregious errors.
+1. There has to be some reform but not to the point it gets to with Government run HC!

Latest posts

Back