Way of Identifying Horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniHGal

Reaction score
Well I am still going strong--been VERY busy but its been a lot of fun.

Anyway, I am writing a paper on horse identification for one of my internships. Basically, I need to cover different ways of id'ing horses, their effectiveness, and methods of application. Also, if there are any new ways out there...

In any case, I have googled it and found some excellent material, but if anyone has any more information or good websites I would REALLY appreciate it. This is a good length paper, so I will be using lots of material.

Thanks,

Breanna

:bgrin

Are you talking about things like Freeze Branding, Lip Tatooing, Micro-Chipping?

MA

Freeze branding and micro chipping are the best IME- microchips can be wiped with a magnet and freeze brands can be altered- nothing is fool proof if you are talking about stealing horses, but as a simple means of identification Microchipping seems the way forward.

Not that I'd do it, but I've heard of people with large numbers of horses, using an ear tag (like cattle) to identify individuals.

Hot branding, freeze branding, tatooing, micro-chipping.

A non-permanent marking would be to "brand" their hoof (obviously it would grow out, eventually).

Breanna, one method I've read of that I found intriguing was the photography of chestnuts. Think it sounds quite feasible....don't know if it's currently being done. Needs to be close-up, clear and crisp image, hair clipped away from them so the real outline is clearly visible-and in combo with all other identifiable aspects about a horse--but seems like a pretty good option, and not particularly expensive(?)to me! Have you looked into this?

Breanna, one method I've read of that I found intriguing was the photography of chestnuts. Think it sounds quite feasible....don't know if it's currently being done. Needs to be close-up, clear and crisp image, hair clipped away from them so the real outline is clearly visible-and in combo with all other identifiable aspects about a horse--but seems like a pretty good option, and not particularly expensive(?)to me! Have you looked into this?
margo,

I don't remember the details, but seems I read something about that. If I'm not mistaken, their chestnuts are as unique as our fingerprints.

Yep, chandab, that's what I recall, too--that the chestnuts are unique in appearance to each horse-which is what makes them a viable tool for individual ID.

Thanks everyone! I ended up finding enough information on my own, but I did already run across one of tagalong's sites.

Yes, Margo, I have run across stuff on chestnuts, very interesting, and yes, they are as unique as fingerprints. Also retinal and iris scanning, trichoglyphs, and 'stamping' of hooves. Ear tags I have heard rip out easier than cattle. :new_shocked:

An interesting find, horses in coach yards sometimes had their hooves stamped with a number to id them...the number was also on a plate above their stall area, and occasionally on the collar.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back