Waxing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barbie

Reaction score
Hi all-

Asking for a friend. Her mare started waxing this afternoon - in general, how long before delivery do they do that. I had one wax several years ago and can't remember.

Stay warm and happy foaling everyone.

Barbie

Anywhere from hours to a week. Did she do a milk test? Is it white or clear and syrupy?

Most of our mares that waxed during the day foaled that night

BUT (always a but LOL) We did have one that waxed for 6 days and then foaled
default_wacko.png

Both times mine waxed, they foaled that night. These were both minis though. I know big horse people can expect to wait longer, even a week or so.

Very few of my mares have waxed, but when they do, they foal that night.

GOODLUCK!!!

Well, just to confuse you...

Several years ago a big horse of mine, a maiden mare, was waxed at 9 in the morning and foaled at 3:45 in the afternoon. Last year a maiden mini mare waxed and then kept us waiting for almost three weeks! I took her to the vet to foal out as soon as she waxed and she kept the vet (and my checkbook!) waiting for all that time. She stayed waxed the entire time. The foal, a filly, looked like she was two weeks old when she finally made her appearance.

Thanks all - am going to call her. Milk is sticky. Udder is huge, back end very relaxed. I'm thinking soon - maybe tomorrow night as our weather is really supposed to go downhill then.

Will keep you posted.

Barbie

The only one of ours I saw waxing was waxed at 8:00am and foaled at 11:00am same day. Good luck.
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png

Thanks all - am going to call her. Milk is sticky. Udder is huge, back end very relaxed. I'm thinking soon - maybe tomorrow night as our weather is really supposed to go downhill then.
WOW! Any of mine showing those signs would be foaling RIGHT NOW!

Let us know what it is!

Charlotte

I just had one wax and foal almost immediately.
default_smile.png
Her dam has always done the same thing, but I have others who don't. With all those signs though I'd sure be watching closely and expecting a foal soon!

Jan

Latest posts

Back