watery eyes???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi

My little guy has watery eyes, has for the last week. I have been cleaning them with water. He'll be 2 in august. No change in diet, attitude, appetite, etc...

what could this be?

I have taken mine to an equine ophthalmologist before for this issue. Both times I was told it was allergies. Here is a list of products I was told to try:

[SIZE=10pt]Crolom
Acular
Zaditor
Alomide
Vasocon-A
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Opcon-A
Naphcom-A
Alocril
Patanol
Alamast
These are usually used by people for seasonal allergies.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Sochlor[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Muro 128[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]use the 5%[/SIZE]

I use OpconA and the Muro 128.

I would also take him to the vet. Eye problems are so terrible if left untreated. Better to be safe than sorry.

Ok thanks. My thoughts where that it's winter here and there's been no change in anything so why would he magically appear with them now?

You can always try the Vetericyn eye wash. I personally haven't used the eye drops but have used the wound and skin care spray and it works great.

Are you actually flushing the eye with water, or just washing around the eye? I ask because water is not the right ph for eyes, I would maybe try the clear eyes saline from farnam, it is not expensive. Secondly, washing and wiping the delicate tissue around the eye can irritate it and cause watering. A little neopolybac ointment around the eye may help. It could be hair tickling the eyes or dust from hay and bedding. If it continues, call the vet to make sure the cornea is not scratched.

Ok thanks everybody... it's slowed down. I am going to try the eye wash. Then call my vet thanks again

You can buy contact lens saline solution for use in and around eyes at almost any store, since so many people wear contacts. And any generic solution works well.

You can always try the Vetericyn eye wash. I personally haven't used the eye drops but have used the wound and skin care spray and it works great.
I don't know about Vetericyn eye drops (to me that suggests a liquid) but I've used Vetericyn in a gel format when Baby's head was too small to keep a fly mask on her. She got some eye goop (from flies, I believe) that was more white-ish than normal sleepies (or whatever you call it.) The Vetericyn actually worked rather quickly. I had been ready to haul her to the vet (I'm a little short-fused when it comes to horse eyeballs problems) but this stuff really did do the trick.

One thing I've noticed is that the girls like to toss their hay around to get at the alfalfa leaves; and because Baby is short of stature she tends to get more dust. ... which leads to eyes that are not necessarily watery, but does make eye goop from the dust.

The difference between the Vetericyn eye wash and gel is the gel is thicker and stays in better then the wash, also with the wash it suggests applying 3-4 times a day whereas with the gel 2 times a day.

I have used the Vetericyn eye gel. Right now I prefer Systane eye solution (or Equate equivalent) as a wash. I have used the hose to flush eyes before when the drops are not enough. I know it is not ideal, but I think lodged particles can be flushed this way. We do the same if we get something in our eyes.

Hay bags have helped a lot to eliminate this problem; hay in a tub is the worst, as he roots around in the tub and gets debris in his eyes. I keep a fly mask on him on very windy days. When I notice redness I use the antihistamine drops.

Never wait more than a couple of days to call the vet with eye injuries! Trouble can escalate very quickly!

Latest posts

Back