Watch out for Cingular Wireless

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskeyranch

Reaction score
Exactly 30 days ago my hubby and I renewed our contract with cingular, upgraded our phones. Everythings been peachy. We have had service with them for 9 years.

The other day, I get a letter from Cingular saying they are cancelling our contract. My hubby has been working in Stevenville Tx. for the last month and they say his calls are going through another tower, so they are cancelling us. :new_argue:

My hubby talked to them and they say that the FCC says Cingular has monopolized too much of the market, and that many people will be getting cancelled.

Isn't the point of building a company to knock the others out and be #1?? Can't we choose who we want to use? Or do they get to make these type of rules, so that it costs us more money?? :deadhorse2:

I am so angry. We will have to buy new phones, activation fees, and whatever else. We have never paid late or been shut off, but now because of this, we will probably have to pay a deposit.

The kicker is that we just renewed and spent 300 on upgrading and there was no problem then! I'm ticked! :new_2gunsfiring_v1:
default_frusty.gif
:

That certainly doesn't seem right. Seems like you should be able to get a refund at least.

Wow!! Glad you posted!! My son just graduated and he wants a Slvr phone from Cingular...so good thing I heard about this before we went out and spent a lot of money getting him this phone and new service!! :new_shocked:

WoW...I am so glad you posted this. We have been with Verizon for 8 years and our contract was up last month :aktion033: I will never go back to Verizon and was looking Cingular to change too. Now I have some homework to do. You know it seems that they can't do that. Doesn't the contract that you signed work both ways? They just breached the contract....they have got to refund something?? Contact BBB...they should be able to help...keep us posted. Teri

I agree.......the contract should protect BOTH parties. Why do THEY get to cancel without any reprocussions???

Be sure to read the contract very carefully.....

MA

I forgot to add that Cingular offered us $199.00 (which will not repurchase two new phones or new cell service) OR the unlock codes so that we can TRY to use our BRAND NEW phones with another service. But we have to pick one or the other.

Our cell phones have never worked AT our house, but we pay $150.00 a month anyway, and this is what they do!

I always thought a cell phone could be used anywhere, exceptions with out of country, but obviously, if your phone goes through a tower they don't like, they can cancel your service.

My hubby works all over the country and it is unreal to me that they can do this because he is out of their "network" for a month.

Let's see,,,,,,,,,9 years vs. one month??? We told them,,,,why don't you just charge us extra or something, but because we have a nationwide plan, BECAUSE WE TRAVEL, they won't do that. Too bad, so sad.

And they only gave us until July 10 to voluntarily cancel or we will be terminated by them.

CRAZY, JUST CRAZY.

BUYER BEWARE AND PLEASE SPREAD THIS AROUND TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW.

we have also bought new phones EVERY year, I've had the razr, and now the mp3 phone, and i agree a contract goes both ways, but not in this case.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have US cellular. I've been happy with them. They are the only ones who really get service out at my moms, where all the horses are. Cingular in this area has very poor reception in some areas as does Verizon, etc.

I have US Cellular and so does my mom. It's been a few years now and so far...no complaints!

At one point, my mom had an issue with her bill. Something was charged to her bill that a sales rep said wouldn't happen....can't remember the whole ordeal, but they knocked off the extra charges and basically said, "well now you know that you'll be charged for next time".

I thought that was pretty cool. Ya don't hear about companies being "nice" too often.
default_wink.png
:

I have been with Cingular since 2000. My contract was up Oct 2005. BEFORE I renewed I told them I was moving from MI to TN. Gave them my new address, etc. I was told that I would be able to use my Cingular cell phone from home with no problem as the tower is just 3 miles down the road. YEAH RIGHT! The tower isn't any where near where I live. I definitely can not use my cell from my house and sometimes can't even connect to the network until I'm a good 6 miles or more away from home, heading east only. If I head west, forget about it. I wish they would offer to cancel my contract as I would do so in a heart beat!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
well you know what would happen if WE wanted to cancel our contract. We would have to pay what like $150.00 per phone to cancel.

I haven't heard of us cellular. We are looking into cellular one, and I probably wouldn't be so mad, if we hadn't just renewed on May 16.

Exactly 30 days ago my hubby and I renewed our contract with cingular, upgraded our phones. Everythings been peachy. We have had service with them for 9 years.

The other day, I get a letter from Cingular saying they are cancelling our contract. My hubby has been working in Stevenville Tx. for the last month and they say his calls are going through another tower, so they are cancelling us. :new_argue:

My hubby talked to them and they say that the FCC says Cingular has monopolized too much of the market, and that many people will be getting cancelled.

Isn't the point of building a company to knock the others out and be #1?? Can't we choose who we want to use? Or do they get to make these type of rules, so that it costs us more money?? :deadhorse2:

I am so angry. We will have to buy new phones, activation fees, and whatever else. We have never paid late or been shut off, but now because of this, we will probably have to pay a deposit.

The kicker is that we just renewed and spent 300 on upgrading and there was no problem then! I'm ticked! :new_2gunsfiring_v1:
default_frusty.gif
:
Sad thing is the government can do this stuff to a company. I'm with Cingular myself and haven't gotten one yet.

I'm in the milk business and our company is the largest in the country. We can't pick up any of the other company's business unless we quote the same price as the other. We can't provide any milk boxes for schools or business's because they don't want us having a leg up on another company getting the buiness. Now this is all in Louisiana, some states may be different. It's a shame when another company can come in and take your business away but you can't take theirs. Way I see it if they were providing a better service, in our case, their customers wouldn't be calling us.

We were with Cingular when we moved to Texas from Ky., and for five months, I couldn't get service at my house, or on the farm at all. I could get service 5-6 miles down the road. After constant complaints, to Cingular, finally a service rep did a drive by of our farm and said sure nuff no service. Then a second one did the same thing with the same results. Cingular insisted that I had a 2 yr. contract with them, I insisted I did not! Finally, instead of talking to whoever answered the phone at customer rep., I asked for the manager/supervisor. Finally, after talking to the manager/supervisor, they agreed to let me out of the contract with no charge. It was a long haul, but finally satisfactory results! We are with Alltel now, and I have no problems with them either here or traveling. I just recently got back from 2 months in Ky., and hubby and daughters and I talked every day, sometimes several times a day. No charges. We have the nationwide plan, and cellular to cellular is free. It seems that Cingular insisted that there was a cell tower of theirs right in my neighborhood here in Tx., and there was not. It was an Alltel tower!

Latest posts

Back