was going to do parade last night but ended up backing out

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rimmerpaints

Reaction score
My 2 yr old wasnt feeling to good and i was worried cart isnt right. I was scared i would hurt my horse. I took pics before parade and we left during line up and will post so you can tell me what im doing wrong:( I so got to find someone local to help me with this

Pony Santa

IMG_3674-1.jpg

back of cart

IMG_3656.jpg

IMG_3666.jpg

IMG_3654.jpg

IMG_3652.jpg

if i can get this right would like to try again for parade friday night. Im just going to walk him in monday night parade

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm betting someone much more experienced will be replying.

From the top photo what I see is the horse is set far back between the shafts, the breeching (stuff that goes on his butt) isn't set up to break the cart and that the straps that are by the girth (under belly area) don't look to be uyp and wrapped around the cart's shafts.

Here's a link that I find quite helpful.

http://www.regencymini.com/booklet/harness1.shtml

So i did right not doing it. I was so scared i would hurt him. I so need someone to teach me what the heck to do. I so dont want to hurt my little guy and he is so good he got so frustrated with me but keep his cool but you could tell he was getting fed up with me. I just thought backing out was the best specially when my 2 yr old said momma i not feel good and i was like yep its best to say lets go!

I know some others will post about the cart set up, but I'd like to say please, never hook up a horse to a cart without a bridle/bit/ and reins. It is not a safe set up even with someone leading. A panicked horse under cart will not be easily controlled by someone leading them. Maybe just put on the bridle and reins and you could hold the reins and then still have someone lead. That way you have dual control.

Good for you for listening to your instincts! I think they were right on.

First of all, I think your costume is adorable. I LOVE the Santa sleazy for your horse! But it definitely does need to be covered up with a bridle for the reasons Laura mentioned. It's a good idea to have your husband lead the horse as well, but YOU need control of him from the cart or you and your children are in for a terrifying ride if he pulls away from your husband.

Working from the front of the horse back, let's see here. You need a bridle. The breastcollar could probably be lowered a notch as it's a little high, but that's better than too low which is what you normally see from a first-time hitcher.
default_smile.png
You need to move the saddle back so that it isn't riding on his withers and pinching his elbows and it would be a good idea to fold a towel under there until you can buy him a pad. Once you move it back you'll also need to shorten the backstrap so it's as tight as it is now. Raise the tugs until the shafts are riding level- they are way too low. Then use the wrap straps as shown in the Regency website someone linked you to. The breeching doesn't look too bad but could be lowered a little bit and then the holdbacks, the straps that go from the breeching to the shafts, need to be wrapped properly. Let out the traces (the straps the horse pulls with) until the end of the shafts are even with the point of his shoulders. I think at that point you'll find everything works together much better and you feel more confident.
default_biggrin.png

Really, you did very well for a first attempt by yourself! And you had enough sense to listen to that gut feeling and stop while you were ahead, which is great. You also have the courage to want to go out and do it again, the right way, which is every bit as important.
default_worshippy.gif
Good for you! I really do love the outfit and you and your girls are adorable. Your little horse looks to be quite the fellow as well! I love the look in his eyes. You can see he's bright and intelligent and courageous like so many of these little guys.

Looking forward to seeing the next batch of pictures,

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
Leia's advice was bang on and you will do well to follow it! She was also right about the adorable Santa sleazy - too cute! I would still have your husband lead the horse in the parade but be sure to have hold of the reins yourself as well. Sure hope your wee one is feeling better in time for the next parade!

Your little chap looks so very cute and the whole 'Christmas' picture of him, the trap, your kids is really lovely.
default_yes.gif

I dont want to offend you as it is obvious that you are a very caring owner and I admit I know nothing about driving minis except what I have read here on LB, but isn't he a little young to be this advanced in his driving work to be ready for this sort of activity? A lot of folk on here seem to leave 'starting' their mini and a cart together until the spring of their third year. There is a lot of weight in your cart with you, the kids, warm clothes, blankets etc and I would be a little worried about him being able to hold that weight on even a slight downward incline.

As I said, I have no wish to offend, just concerned for the safety aspect and you little fella's wellbeing if something should happen that his youth and inexperience failed to deal with.

Anna

Your little chap looks so very cute and the whole 'Christmas' picture of him, the trap, your kids is really lovely.
default_yes.gif

I dont want to offend you as it is obvious that you are a very caring owner and I admit I know nothing about driving minis except what I have read here on LB, but isn't he a little young to be this advanced in his driving work to be ready for this sort of activity? A lot of folk on here seem to leave 'starting' their mini and a cart together until the spring of their third year. There is a lot of weight in your cart with you, the kids, warm clothes, blankets etc and I would be a little worried about him being able to hold that weight on even a slight downward incline.

As I said, I have no wish to offend, just concerned for the safety aspect and you little fella's wellbeing if something should happen that his youth and inexperience failed to deal with.

Anna
I thought the same thing at first! Until a later post by the O.P.; it was the 2 year old daughter that wasn't feeling good
default_laugh.png

Oooooop's my mistake
default_sad.png

Apologies all round!! Guess I should pay more attention when reading other threads on LB - my excuse, lame as it is, is old age and an inability to remember facts!

Hope I haven't hurt any feelings
default_unsure.png

Anna

NO NO My fault! Our mini is 15 My 2 yr old daughter Sydney got sick. When i took the pics before Sydney had her episode i took pics and desided to unhook and put cart up till i figure out what im doing wrong. I knew it wasnt right and didnt want him hurt. My 4 yr old had a santas helper outfit was going to have her walk him in the parade(without Cart) but then Sydney got sick so i was like thats a wrap lets load up and go home. Our mini has done the cart before but i am new only shown one time and have been tring to get this right. Im going to find someone to help me. I want to do whats best for myself and my horse. It wouldnt take much for myself and my horse to get hurt and completely mess my lil man up. Im in now in search of someone close to me to teach me. Educate Educate is what i preach to my kids so i have to do the same. LOL

Latest posts

Back