Wanted to see if anyone else feel this way

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rimmerpaints

Reaction score
Ok I am downsizing on my big horse. Wanting to get down to just 4 biggies. My husbands horse,My mare, My daughters mare and my old x barrel horse my old man Max thats 20 years old. These will be here until they die. Anyway I am letting a young gelding go and My 6 yr old Stallion who is sweet but just getting to be a handful and honestly dont have the place for a stallion and his bloodlines along with his flash I hated toget him cut. Anyway I posted him for sale. I dont lie I tell it like it is. He is a stallion that is halter broke, loving but not broke to ride. Anyway I had this lady that wanted to see him and she came out. Looked at his papers went on and on about she wanted him for breeding only. I told her he is her man. Told her I will take 1000 for him. She said that was to high for her. I toldf her Im sorry I cant go any lower. After a hour of us talking I thought ok I will break my promise to my hubby and come down.I told her ok you seem nice and I like everything you are saying I will go down for her. Told her 850.00 since he wasnt broke to ride. She blew me over with her next comment and to be honest I was insulted. She said thats to high and all I can afford is 300 dollars. My eyes got huge and I said R U SERIOUS! She said yes thats all my budget will allow and she said plus i need to sale two geldings to make more room for the mares and him. I told her Im sorry no and told her Im sorry for your long drive but this conversation is over. She left my place and then texted me saying if I change my mind to call her but she will be looking at more stallions later in the week. I told her good luck. Ok now I skipped my class tonight to meet this lady thinking she was serious after many emails,phone calls, pics,copy of bloodlines being sent to her and so on. Im just insulted.Is she serious 300 dollars! I mean I know horses are down but good greef 300 dollars really. This is the same lady that told me he fit her breeding program and was going to Stud him out along with breeding her mares. I just cant believe people. I hate selling anything. Its hard for me to sale my animals plus my hubby says im a sucker. That im easily pushed over. I know I am to a point I rather my animals go to a place they will be loved and kept then tossed around. Im just mad because i feel like this lady just smacked me in the face and wasted my time. UHH!!! I think I may send him to my uncles and not sale him. I rather my uncle have him and use him then deal with people like her. Thanks for listening to my vent.

Pretty much the same on this side of the mountain.

This is a perfect example of someone who wants to put any two ends together that fit, and sell off the foals for a couple hundred bucks or shove them in the Friday night auction and in their minds, they think they are doing really good. Blag..........

Sounds like she has no idea what she's doing if she doesn't know what a good stallion costs. Just be thankful she didn't have the money to buy him.

Sorry about your luck.

I have developed a few lines when buyers contact us, or folks who just "dropped in to look".

Before I spend a lot of time giving the tour and information I say "not sure what you are looking for but I don't have 300.00 horses." I also give them the address of a fellow who lives fairly close to us who does have grade ponies that he will sell for around 300.00 if that is what they are looking for.

After 20 years you start to recognize "tire kickers" or buyers who don't think registered miniature horses are any different than a grade pony.

I have never heard from the fellow we send 300.00 buyers to, but I know he's sold horses to people who started here
default_yes.gif

My stallion isnt a mini but still no different if i had a mini stallion I had to let go that had the bloodlines I wouldnt sell for 300 anyway. Heck my minis cost me more then that. I wouldnt take that for them either and I dont know much on mini bloodlines. My stallion is registered APHA Homozygous bay and white paint. He is BEAUTIFUL! He is out of Native Dance,Raise of Native, Easy Jet, Poco Bueno, Doc bar, Doc holliwood, and many others. He has lots of running blood in him. I even had his momma but lost her several yrs ago SHe was my barrel horse. I have a copy of her papers still and copy of the studs papers along with research of his bloodlines. I love AQHA and APHA papers and looking at the backgrounds of them. Anyway he has all kinds of running blood and worth much more then 300 dollars. I just cant stand for people to waste my time! I dont jurk anyone around if they post or quote me a price I will ask is that the lowest price but after that if I want the horse I pay for it! I dont do what she did. Its just disrespectful to the horse owner and the horse. Everyone one here knows what im saying. I just got so upset yesterday. I wont give any of my horses away. I dont have to sale them just hate that he isnt getting used like he should. Far as im concerened he can be my pasture ornament. Atleast he is a pretty one!lol

You should thank your lucky stars that you (and most of all, your stallion) dodged a bullet on this idiot.

Easy come, easy go. Someone who buys a horse for that little of an investment is likely to let him go just as easily, and she wouldn't be particular where he would go.

Good, well-bred horses can still bring in a respectable price, although it may take longer.

To make certain he goes to a great home, is there any way you could send him to a trainer for at least starting him in saddle? Not only would you be adding to his salability, but the trainer may know someone in the market for a great, green-broke stallion -- or be better able to put him in front of potential customers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Susanne,

We are actually talking about sending him to get broke and we will then figure out what we want to do. I have desided to not sell him after all that I was like nope I cant do this. I dont have to let him go so im not. I was actually going to sale another gelding and that has actually got a good ending. My close friend wants him so she is buying him from me and she is sending him off to get trained for western pleasure. Im excited about that.

I totally sympathize with you when it comes to tire kickers, but I also agree with Susanne. If you want to get a good price and a good buyer for your stallion then you may have to invest in some training or promotion. There are a lot of ungelded, untrained horses out there, and many have good pedigrees. Heck, in the last couple years I've seen many well-bred horses with impressive show and production records sell for less than $1000. I'm not saying your stallion isn't worth the money, but in the current market he needs to be proven in some way to distinguish him from the rest of the pack and prove to serious buyers and breeders that he is NOT something they can get at the local auction for $300. Has he had any foals yet? Do his parents or siblings have show records that you can tout? Do you have pictures that show his excellent conformation or a video that shows his performance potential? Can I ask where you are advertising him? Most serious breeders aren't shopping Craigslist or the local classifieds for a feature stallion, and the better horse sites only charge around $20 to highlight your ad. Even that small investment would probably put him in front of a better group of buyers.

EDIT: Just saw you decided to keep your guy. I think it's exciting that you're going to send him to a trainer. If he meets or exceeds your expectations then I'm sure you'll be able to get a lot more than $1000 for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I rather my uncle have him and use him then deal with people like her. Thanks for listening to my vent.
My only question is: Did you tell this lady BEFORE she came out to look at him how much you were asking? If she knew this ahead of time, then what incredible nerve she had to offer what she did!

If you didn't mention the price ahead of time, then maybe she just figured that in these "tough economic times" with high hay prices and depressed stock prices, that she could rope you in. It's a good thing you weren't desperate to sell! And yes, I'd much rather give an animal to a family member than sell it that far below value to someone who rubbed me the wrong way!

Yes I told this lady how much he was before hand. i told her before i sent pics and copy of his paper for her to see bloodlines and infor on her parents. His momma was my old barrel horse who had raced on paint horse track with several wins then had points in barrels in APHA and went to state finals for NBHA several several times. She was really fast. His daddy had points in halter. He was a big halter baby. Now our stallion is tall like his momma you see alot of the thoroughbred in him where his dad was built like a big compact brick house. My stallion is not but he is very flashy. A eye catcher I have had people come up our drive telling me how beautiful he is. I just am not a seller and Im not good with people. I tell them like it is. I dont beat around the bush. Im so much better with horses and kids.LOL I think thats why I said I rather send him off to a trainer. I think he deserves that much. He doesnt need people who wont take care of him or sell him for nothing. Bad things run through my mind about people like this lady.

Hi... There are still people out there that are looking to buy a good horse very cheap... they round pen train them for 30 days and sell them "green broke" and re-sell them for profit. I know several people that do just that.. They never keep a horse more than 30 days, then they don't have to do farrier service or pay high feed prices to keep the horse long. They just buy cheap, roundpen break them, and resell for profit. Your boy sounds like he fits the perfect senario of what those kind of people are looking for in a horse. Don't believe a word those kind of people say, they try to catch you off guard and make you sell cheap. That $300 she offered is nuts, bad economy or not. Last horse I sold, for every 1 decent call, I got 10 wacky calls. Horse selling brings out the crazies I swear. Good luck!

I have an AMHR/ASPC gelding for sale. I paid $1500 for him and was selling him for $700. I got an offer for $300. Made my head spin... her reasoning?

"I would have to pay to send him out for training and don't have the $$ for both"... um...OK... no thanks.

When I was selling Edda, I was low balled all the time and they knew what her price was. She was the only one, and I think, still the only one of her blood line in the USA. No way was I going to give away a horse with her conformation, temperament, height and color, this filly had it all. Very rare.... (not barn blind, will pick apart every animal I have) Plus she was very well cared for, well halter trained and easy to handle because of all the work I did with her.

Found a good buyer finally, paid the price for her, signed the paper work, had her Vet checked, even found a transporter for her. Then two weeks later she calls and tells me she wants a $1,000 back, because her daughter says Icelandic's are going for cheap. I know which Icelandic's she was talking about... I couldn't believe the nerve. Told her No, and if she changed her mind she could return said Filly at her cost. Of course this was right before the move. Never heard from them again.

I do know from the grapevine, she is well taken care of..... but I couldn't believe.....

I feel for anyone having to sell animals right now.

OMG she called you wanting some money back. IS she crazy! People are crazy! I will take my horse back but your not keeping the horse and getting some money back. NO NO! I can see someone wanting to make a profit off my horse. He is a big dog. He comes when you call and lets you love on him. He can get pushy and trys to show off by saying im the man but wouldnt take much work to get him doing better. I put halter on and off three times yesterday and he did fine. He hasnt had a halter on in a while. I rather keep my horses then deal with people like that. My husband looked at me and said three horse at a trainer! You need to get a job. I laughed and told him my job was taking care of him and all these kids! He was just kidding with me.

I just had to tell ya. I did some search on this lady that offered me the unreal amount for my beautiful horse. She lied to me. She doesnt have a horse farm and isnt a Paint horse breeder. Matter of fact these people dont have much knowledge of horses at all. They dont own any horses. She told me she had 10 Paints. Everything she told me was a lie. Im so glad i sent this crazy lady on her way down the road. People are truely CRAZY! On the plus side he had a halter on today I lead him around and wormed him. He did better then my gelding on the wormer. 300 my hind end! Thanks for listening to me vent once again.

Oh, even with what they paid, they take her to a Eval, she will go first prize, no doubt about that. First Prize Icelandic mare's are big money, even now a days. But ya, I was gobsmacked she would even ask that.

Glad you turned your possible buyer down. Sounds like yet, another nut case.

Hey Kelly, There is a fabulous up and coming trainer over this way and I mean this boy has THE gift. I don't impress easily but this young man never ceases to amaze me. He has traveled with John Lyons and has won the Xtreme wild mustang makever national competition, and he really has it going on. I highly recommend you give him a call about training your horse for you and tell him I sent you.

Thanks Marty I will check him out! I have my mare at the trainers in South Fulton. She has been in pasture and needed refresher course on Reining. I willcheck him out.Doc is a big DOG and so sweet it wouldnt take much to get him back to where he should be. I just cant give him away.

Back