Wanted mini donkey information

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoegirl

Reaction score
Hello, I am looking for a miniature donkey for a pet. I have 5 miniature horses. I have been told that donkeys are guardians. I have 2 dogs on my farm that go around the horses all the time. Is it best to get a younger donkey so he or she can get aquainted with the dogs?

I called on what is advertised as a sicilian donkey and the woman said her dam is a standard jennet and her sire is a sicilian. What height would I expect this little girl to be when she is mature?

Any help would be great. Thank you

Not all donkeys will chase down dogs ... only one of my 4 will. BUT that is enough ...it just takes one to mess a dog up
default_no.gif

As for size I have noticed that they usually end up the size between Mom & Dad

You will love the personalities of donkeys...you might consider getting two
default_wink.png

*edited to say Hi ! and welcome to the Donk forum !

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much, I am very excited about getting one or maybe two. I'm not worried about protection. I just want another baby to spoil. I have been reading this forum for a few weeks now. I love to read about them. You all are very knowledgeable and very helpful to others.

Thanks again

Hi and WELCOME
default_saludando.gif
I would never let any dogs around my donkeys, a donkeys natural instinct is to stomp at anything that might mean to be invading the donkeys territory. I have heard so many times where someone has let there dog run around the donkey and everything was fine...until "just that one time". Its just a really good habit to get into and not let your dogs around your donkeys, for the safety of both the dog and the donkey...because you just never know when the dog will bite (even in play) or the donkey will stomp. My donkeys dont even let the barn cats cross thru there pastures, and if a cat does they make a beeline for it.

Donkeys are so sweet and lovable and love to be spoiled. As for size the majority of the standard X miniature's that I have seen usually are right between the jenny and the jack.( A examlpe would be if you had a 38" jenny and a 32" jack..your baby would probably mature to about 35"s ) Corinne

default_saludando.gif
Welcome, you want another baby to spoil, cool, donkeys would be a good choice, I got mine to spoil, I didn't really need anything else to look after, but can't imagine life without them.....
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
I have two!

Hi,

I got my first donkey almost two years ago. I adopted my second last spring. I love my boys dearly. If your looking for a baby, donkeys are a good thing. Like children they do have individual personalities. My oldest is curious about EVERYTHING. He's not afraid of anything and is a total character. He's a total hoot to watch! He's awesome with small children. My second is also playful but much more shy and watchful. He is my hugger and will snuggle with me as long as I want to hang around. He "calls"" for treats, but just for me when he hears my voice. I'm very happy that I have my boys and encourage you to adopt a friend or two.

Best wishes,

chico

Wow thank you all so much for the information. I work in the transportation industry and am working many hours right now. Christmas is coming! I can't wait for the chance to have a donkey. I keep reading that they are so very friendly and loving. Thank you all so much. I read the forum and love all your stories.

Take care

Donkeys are great pets. They do like alot of attention. I am new to this whole donkey world. Mine have me trained. I really didn't need another baby to care for either, but I could not resist. I don't regret a minute of it either. My little jack loves to be dressed up and spoiled, where as my little jenny she just wants to be hugged and petted. She doesn't care to look silly. You will really enjoy them.

Latest posts

Back