Walk like a Duck!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

islandminis

Reaction score
I am discovering that having minis is a pretty good learning curve! Take correcting the "nudging for treats" behavior. With my big horse I would let him know that this is unacceptable with a good nudge back with my elbow. WEELLLL -- my elbow is now many inches ABOVE the mini zone so I have to stoop to get the message across - who can bend over and flap like duck????
default_laugh.png
I am reluctant to use my hands to get the message across - what do you use to stop the nudging and pocket searching??

I don't carry treats in my pockets!! Seriously, with a herd of minis, one that is IR, we don't carry or use treats. We use other forms of reward and/or add treats to their feed dishes. If we are practicing halter, where we do use treats, we will pull that one out and work away from the rest.

I still have a hard time treating the little ones like a "real" horse. My big horses and even shetland pony, I am very strict with. I am constantly correcting myself to not let the little ones get away with lack of manners just because they're so dang cute. Don't get me wrong, we still require good manners and don't allow them to walk all over us. They constantly make me smile...they all do, of course. I feel like I should be getting on my knees half the time while bridling/haltering and adjusting things....but love it.

My horses have learned quickly not to ask, for they will not receive then. If they do ask, they get a tap on the muzzle as a reminder. It doesn't hurt them or anything, and my horses are not head shy at all. I try not to give treats a lot, but with winter approaching and show season over, I find it pretty much impossible to keep a working attitude with these guys! (Especially since they are getting fuzzy!)
wub.gif

I don't "carry" treats unless I am working with or intend to give them out. I do "treat" my guys & gal. I give small carrots or horse cookies etc. a lot but only when I want their attention and am working with them. My horses do NOT "frisk" me for treats. I've never had a problem with them except when we are first starting out. I have had to push them away or tap them for getting TOO close. When he was younger the stallion might nip and then he got smacked and I'd holler NO! They get the idea that sometimes I have them and sometimes I don't and if I have them they will get them eventually.

I've only had these guys for a short while and they have been pocket surfers from the start. I only have small carrot treats when they are "working" and I think they are figuring out that people don't automatically mean treats (I have nixed treats every time someone asks if they can give them one - explaining how they can come to grief that way ) I might try what I use with the dogs - a good sharp flick one the nose with my fingers (with the dogs all I have to do is show my fingers in the "Mr Flicker" position and they behave
default_yes.gif
).

Back