Voting problems...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danielle_E.

Reaction score
CNN) -- Voters were running into problems casting ballots Tuesday morning in scattered locations around the country.

Poll workers check in voters Tuesday at a middle school in Cleveland, Ohio.

1 of 2 People called the CNN Voter Hotline to report irregularities at their precincts, including late poll openings, long lines, and broken or not enough voting machines.

Other callers reported brisk and efficient voting as millions across the United States cast their ballots in the presidential race as well as many House and Senate contests.

In Kansas City, Missouri, iReport contributor Jessie Sargent said she had been waiting in line for three hours because precincts had received the wrong voter registration lists.

"I was there at 5 a.m. and was eighth in line," Sargent said. "I got up to the table, and they realized they had the wrong books. After swapping books, they [thought] that they still had the wrong books but later figured that the pages were in the wrong order.

"There have been quite a few people leaving because of work and school, and they have no provisional ballots or books to sign in to." First votes cast in New Hampshire »

In Shaker Heights, Ohio, just outside Cleveland, the first few voters at one precinct received ballots that were missing the presidential race.

"The first four voters [at that location] were given the wrong ballots. Those ballots were voided, and the four voters were given the correct ballots," said Kimberly Bartlett, a spokeswoman for the Cuyahoga County Board of Elections.

CNN Voter Hotline

Voters can report problems to CNN Voter Hotline at 877-462-6608.

Bartlett said she didn't know how the error occurred. "I can only assume they were given only part of the ballot -- the second page of the two-page ballot with only state issues. The first page has the presidential race."

Philip Cook said he was one of those four voters. He said the presidential ballots were at the voting place but had not been put into the correct folders before the polls opened.

In Raleigh, North Carolina, one polling place couldn't open at 6:30 a.m. because its chief judge left the precinct's ballots in her grandson's pickup when he dropped her off, said Wake County Board of Elections Director Cherie Poucher. The grandson drove off, and the poll worker couldn't track him down, Poucher said.

The Board of Elections delivered new ballots, and voting began at 7:06 a.m., with about 300 people waiting in line, she said.

Don't Miss

Americans vote in historic election

Track the races you care about most

iReport.com: At the polls? Tell us about it

"When the board meets today, I expect that they will vote to keep the precinct open an additional 36 minutes," Poucher added.

Rain became a factor in Wake County after some paper optical-scan ballots got wet.

"When we put the ballot through the scanner it is soggy and doesn't go through," Poucher said. "One ripped and got stuck when the voter tried to get it out," causing the optical scanner to malfunction.

Poucher said voters with soggy ballots were being asked to deposit them in the emergency ballot box. When they are dried and the scanners are back up and running, the ballots will be put through the optical scanners, she said.

Long lines were seen in rainy Richmond, Virginia, where Henrico County switched to paper ballots at the Math and Science Center after five of seven machines broke down. Watch people wait in the rain in Richmond »

Callers to the CNN Voter Hotline originally said there were no paper ballots. But Virginia's State Board of Elections said the center has started using the ballots and the board is in the process of deploying more equipment.

Fairfax County, Virginia, General Registrar Rokey Suleman said a handful of memory cards did not work when machines were started Tuesday morning. He said replacement memory cards already have been sent to those precincts with problems.

A "very, very small number of machines" were affected, and voters at those locations could use paper ballots instead until the problem was corrected, Suleman said.

The 228 precincts in the suburban Washington county use both optical scan and electronic voting machines.

Suleman said there are long lines everywhere, but the elections board was prepared. People started lining up to vote at 4:30 a.m. ET for the polls to open at 6 a.m. iReport.com: Share your voting experience

In New York, some polling places did not open as scheduled at 6 a.m. because they didn't have enough machines and poll workers were not ready, people on the scene reported.

In Willingboro, New Jersey, broken voting machines were reported at the Penny Packer school, said Joe Dugan, chairman of the Burlington County Election Board.

Dugan said a mechanic was working on the machines and they are expected to be repaired soon. In the meantime, voters were being given emergency ballots.

Machine breakdowns also were reported in northern New Jersey, including Newark and Maplewood.

Of the more than 11,000 problems reported to CNN's hotline by Monday, the largest number -- more than 1,500 -- came from Florida, where a hotly disputed recount settled the 2000 election. Another 450-plus originated in Ohio, where massive Election Day turnout in 2004 delayed the count.

The biggest complaints were early voting lines stretching for several hours, names that did not appear on voter rolls and absentee ballots that never reached the people who requested them. Similar patterns showed up among callers nationwide.

CNN will be tracking voter problems through Election Day. If you have or see a problem, or want to tell CNN about your voting experience, call the CNN Voter Hotline at 877-462-6608.

I really wish they would come up with standards, so each state/precinct/etc. is the same. I guess the cost would be very high though. You'd think with all the technology today, it could be done easy/inexpensive. I've voted both by machine and paper ballot in the past, I'd like to see it one way or the other for everyone.

I live in a small town, we went at 11am. We waited about 8-10 minutes before being able to cast our vote. According to the machine you slide your paper ballot in, there had been 386 votes so far there, that's a big turnout for us...like I said, very small rural town. They seemed to have a system down that was working well, each worker doing a different task like an assembly line, but like I said this is a small town. I could see confusion and mistakes if the turnout was huge as in a bigger town with the system they had. I would think the system we used would be total chaos in a city like Cleveland.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some military soldiers absentee ballots are NOT being counted because the pentagon sent their ballots out TOO late.
default_wacko.png

I heard McCain is suing to give them ten more days. The soldiers are the ones that should be allowed to vote above anyone else
default_cheekkiss.gif
(my opinion).

If you have not voted please ignore the biased media coverage. They are trying to steal your vote if you are for McCain. Don't let them have it! Some will try to call the election before it is over.

As someone stated yesterday you cannot use previous statistics, polls etc to gauge the outcome of this election as this one is a whole different ballgame. Previous elections do not apply!

It took Lee and I about 50 minutes to vote and we did not mind the wait at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Husband and I went to vote this morning and arrived just before the polls opened to a very large crowd waiting outside. We left and went home to give those folks trying to vote before going to work a chance to vote. Went back about 830 am and walked right in and voted. No waiting. Our polling precinct was very well organized and had extra voting machines. I am proudly wearing my I voted sticker today.

Arlene

I'm really lucky at our polling place. We have one machine-works well. My brother and I showed up today to a line of 2 people-stood around for about a minute. Tough day!

I've heard there are a lot of problems for both the usual reasons-nothing's perfect!-and because there's a pretty high voter turnout this year, especially for newly registered voters. I hope they're able to get all the 'kinks' worked out, and I hope in the end everyone's vote gets counted.

Oh, I thought it was going to be about the Black Panther members with night sticks in Philly trying to intimidate voters...

NO problems voting for me, my family or employees in VA today
default_smile.png

Easy breezy here in our little 350 person community
default_wink.png

No problems here either. I was #536.....which surprised me because I'm in a very small rural area too. Walked away from the poll at 10:10. Now for a long and suspenseful wait.

Some military soldiers absentee ballots are NOT being counted because the pentagon sent their ballots out TOO late.
default_wacko.png
I heard McCain is suing to give them ten more days. The soldiers are the ones that should be allowed to vote above anyone else
default_cheekkiss.gif
(my opinion).
I told my DH who is a (war Vet and was also a POW) about that, as he has been at the deer lease for the last 2 days, he already voted in early voting and he was so angry about the mess up on the pentagon sending the ballots out late. He said that the Pentagon more so than anyone should have gotten it right.

So now my question is... will they elect a president with out them ballots from our troops?
default_sad.png

If they do then this is so wrong. These men are fighting and putting their life on the line for our country and they should have their voice heard.

I pray that their voice will be heard.
default_pray.gif

Joyce

They reported that they WOULD be counted. Also a lot of provisional ballots that can't be counted for 10 days to verify that they are who they say they are. This,only if too close to call. But military ballots will be counted from what I heard.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

My hubby went at 6:00 this morning-he was 9th and there were around 60 people behind him... I went at 9:00 and used the machine in just a few minutes-love the machine!!

They reported that they WOULD be counted. Also a lot of provisional ballots that can't be counted for 10 days to verify that they are who they say they are. This,only if too close to call. But military ballots will be counted from what I heard.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Thank you Bonnie for the information!
default_yes.gif

Joyce

Back