Vitamin E and Selenium

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wantminimore

Reaction score
This was posted on another horse (big) forum. What does everybody think? This is from a Maine vet, my horses have no pasture so they are fed hay year round, have daily turnout, and i'm feedig Blue Seal Trotter to them, should i be adding vit. E?

Just wanted to let everyone who has horses know that I've had another horse with Equine Motor Neuron Disease. This is a serious potentially life threatening disorder in horses caused by depletion of Vitamin E. Any horse that has free access to pasture for 3-4 months per year is not at risk. Any horse kept indoors, or in a small paddock and fed hay year round should be given 2000 to 2500 IU of supplementary Vitamin E daily. Please pass this along.

I'd talk to your vet. They would best know about supplement requirements in your specific area, and you can always do blood draws on your horses to be absolutely sure.

Andrea

Pasture does not help, since Selenium is deficient in New England. Have your hay tested, compare that to your grain, and suppliment Se/Vit E as directed by your vet. MOST LIKELY you will want to add it, but you don't want to OD.

Many feeds contain vitamin E and selenium. My horses are not on pasture at all either but are fed good quality grass/timothy/alfalfa hay and are on a ration balancer that contains vitamin E and selenium (and many other vitamins and minerals). I've found it interesting to note that since my girls have been on Gro 'n Win they have never touched their salt lick.

My veterinarian told me it's very important to do the blood test first prior to administering any Vitamin E/Selenium supplement as too much of that can be bad too.

I was sure my Thoroughbred would be deficient and had him tested and his results came in just fine. It was a surprise, considering we are in a region that is supposed to be bad for that. It's not like years ago when grain wasn't supplemented so that must be the difference.

...vitamin E toxicity is not a concern in horses, even with large amounts of supplementation. The upper safe dietary limit, which has not been determined specifically in horses, is set at 1,000 IU per kg of dry matter (1000 IU/kg DM) based on observations in other species.

...vitamin E toxicity is not a concern in horses, even with large amounts of supplementation. The upper safe dietary limit, which has not been determined specifically in horses, is set at 1,000 IU per kg of dry matter (1000 IU/kg DM) based on observations in other species.
I believe it was the selenium that most concerned my veterinarian. I would have to ask him again and return to clarify.

Thanks for the replies. I've sent a letter to my vet asking about this.

I believe it's the selenium that's a concern for overdose.

I'm not 100% sure, but pretty sure that you can get Vit E supplements without selenium, if you are worried about how much vit E your horse is getting. Its my understanding that oil-based liquid is utilized best, but I know powder vit E supplements are available.

A few years ago, I had a mini mare very with a 'mystery disease'. We tested for everything......and I do mean everything. I also tested a sampling of my herd for comparison purposes. One of those tests was for Vit. E/Selenium. It was very interesting that although I live in New England, where there is a definate selenium deficiency, NONE of my horses were selenium deficient. However, many of them were Vitamin E deficient!

In my research, I learned that the Vitamin E added to most commercial grain products and even to commercial Vitamin/mineral supplements, is minimal. Plus it has been shown that Vitamin E needs oil in order to be absorbed properly. I was advised by the equine nutritionist, who is also a veterinarian, that I consulted, that I could just buy the most economical human Vit. E gelcap supplement, as long as it contained oil (usually soybean oil). And I was also advised that the synthetic would work just as well as the natural, if it was cheaper.

Ever since then, I toss one 400 unit Vit. E gelcap into every horse's evening feed. I have only 3 horses out of 25 who leave them in their bucket, so these 3 are handfed their gelcaps with a small handful of feed. The horses who were seriously deficient, and pregnant mares, get 2 of those 400 unit gelcaps. My vet and I have a suspicion that this may be a mini 'thing'.

Ever since then, I toss one 400 unit Vit. E gelcap into every horse's evening feed. I have only 3 horses out of 25 who leave them in their bucket, so these 3 are handfed their gelcaps with a small handful of feed. The horses who were seriously deficient, and pregnant mares, get 2 of those 400 unit gelcaps. My vet and I have a suspicion that this may be a mini 'thing'.
You can prick and squeeze out the contents of the gel caps with a thumbtack if the horses nose around the pill. You can also rub the contents of the gel caps onto a healing skin area, as Vitamin E is good for healing skin, too!

Andrea

Last edited by a moderator:
Selenium deficiency/toxity has a narrow safety margin, definitely discuss this with your vet for your specific area. It needs to be determined based on your pastures/feed/supplements. (this article is about goats but explains it well - selenium)

If you do injectible Vit E/Sel (BoSe), make sure to note the name of the product as there are different strengths/doses. We had to give injections when we first moved as the horses came from a low Sel area. We now just have 50lb selenium blocks out (along with plain white salt and a mineral block). The selenium block they rarely use - but they're there.

As for Vit E, good idea about the human caps as it does have to be in oil (the same for humans) to work best.

I read somewhere, (can't remember exactly where) in my research on Insulin Resistance (IR) in horses that Vit E supplement can be beneficial. It's also recommended for horses that eat only hay, or don't get a lot of grass, and Minis would fit the bill for that one! Mainly because there is no Vit E in dried grass (hay) only in "fresh" grass.

very interesting subject!

my horses (big and small) all have access to a block that has selenium and Vit. E in it.. is that enough? (my big horses are on pasture all summer long, and I hope to have the minis on pasture for an hour or two a day all summer as well)

BE ADVISED, BoSE is a cattle supplement, and is a PRESCRIPTION ITEM.

I had my pasture hay tested several years ago and it has plenty of selenium. Therefore, I try to make sure the supplements I buy do not have selinium in them.

However, if I were breeding, I would pay more attention to it, for sure.

Back