Holy Horrible Haybellies!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knottymare

Reaction score
If you've followed any of my posts, you know I was out of commission for quite a while. My poor horses just got hay and a mineral block... I could not get out to the barn and so their only source of exercise was wandering around their 2 acre mostly drylot.

My girls have haybellies!!!!!!!!!!! I brought Rio, my new mare home, Saturday and was embarrassed for Dolly and Mimsy because they are so round. Not fat, just bloaty looking.

They have been on a regular worming schedule so I don't believe it's parasites. We do fecals and they were good-that was just in June...

So, here's the situation. I have a barn full of local grass hay. I would consider this stuff a fairly safe hay and have always pretty much free fed it to my horses over the years, big and small. 1 time a day they'll get some higher nuttrition orchard grass hay and I'm starting them back on 1/3 of a pound of LMF Super Supplement (a hay balancer) for the minerals and vitamins.

They will be getting out almost daily for road work now that I'm back in commission! My question is, and I'm sure there are many answers, how would you go about conditioning them. They are not show horses but I want them to have healthy bodies!

Dolly is 13, a rescue mare, and tends to maintain her weight on a pretty even keel.

Mimsy is 6, never been bred, gains weight if she looks at food. Goes right to her neck, too. So I'm very careful about her eating.

Rio is new to me, been bred twice, I'm told she gains easy and to watch her. She came to me looking really good on orchard grass hay and LMF development.

I know that I cannot give the LMF development to Mimsy or she'd turn into a balloon. Mimsy could probably handle it and with the extra work load, probably needs it.

I'm perfectly willing to mix a different feed for each one. I like allowing them the free access to this local hay because it gives them mental exercise. I spread it all over the place so they wander around like they are grazing.

Suggestions?

Picture isn't great but Mimsy is the one with the big round belly facing away from me and Dolly is the one standing perpendicular to her. The picture was taken in the yard, also. Their pasture is just nibbles of grass that is pretty much all dried up and gone...

318810_4357990305160_963902918_n.jpg

lol they are cute! My stallion looked a bit like Mimsy but he was actually fat and with exercise, suppliemnts and a bit of oaten/lucerene chaff he looks a lot better.

Thanks! I think they are cute but my God! Mimsy looks like she's ready to drop a foal. LOL

Add protein. I gave my guys enrich 32 supplement and it really helped with the hay belly.. I try to feed plain fine grass hay and then I supplement.

I find grass hay does that, not enough protein - no meat along their top line and big fat bellies. I would switch them to alfalfa. It is NOT a free feed hay. They would be fed morning and evening. In 30 days you will be surprized at the difference and how they look.

I feed grass hay (sometimes even grass/alfalfa mix) and when we feed it free choice they get bellies.

When I feed them throughout the day they do not. (three times a day)

Thanks! I work full time so going out and feeding mid day wouldn't work but I could feed a light feeding when I got home and another at bedtime.

I think first I'll try to add some higher protein and more work and see how it goes. Alfalfa is not always easy to get up here - especially good alfalfa. I could give them each a small portion of alfalfa each day if I can find some LOL... or could even give pellets. Hmmm... that gives me an idea!

You know - I am going through this for the first time of almost 20 years of having minis! One of my newer minis shedded out nicely in the spring, and under all that hair was a BIG hay belly!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
I'm changing her protein level - she's been on timothy hay and timothy pellets, and I'm slowly switching her over to alfalfa hay & pellets and I have to say I can already see a difference! Let us know how it works out for you - good luck!

Liz N.

Last edited by a moderator:
Knottymare--

Can you feed beet pulp? I feed it in the evenings, about 2-3 cups soaked, along with 2-4 cups of grain (depending on the horse). Mine dont get out much because of our boarding situation. They mares get two full days out a week on a drylot. The rest of the week, they just get out while I clean stalls and do chores. Boys only get out while I clean. All of mine are at a good weight, ones even a little fat. Hay bellies are exactly that, result of too much hay and not enough protein. They need grain. And I think beet pulp would help make them feel fuller, but also bring up weight on their backs

You know - I am going through this for the first time of almost 20 years of having minis! One of my newer minis shedded out nicely in the spring, and under all that hair was a BIG hay belly!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
I'm changing her protein level - she's been on timothy hay and timothy pellets, and I'm slowly switching her over to alfalfa hay & pellets and I have to say I can already see a difference! Let us know how it works out for you - good luck!

Liz N.
How do I figure out how much to give? Mimsy is such a weight gainer. I'm afraid of her ballooning!

Latest posts

Back