VERY small poops!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicmac74

Reaction score
My mare is quite a bit smaller then my gelding. My question is: as I pick up all their poop from the paddocks and pasture..I notice that my mare has bigger "muffins". The gelding has much smaller ones..sometimes so tiny..it looks like rabbit poop..lots of them though! I just worry a bit..the poops are green and moist (sorry!) but I just thought that you would assume that the much smaller mare would have the smaller poops and the gelding, being much bigger, would have the larger size??. I only ask as I am a bit worried about an obstruction. he has not shown any signs but I have noticed the size of his poop muffins getting smaller and his feed has not changed. I may be a little OCD about the poops but I always think it is a red flag if you notice something different there!

I'd like to hear some input on this one too. One of my stallions went to the hospital for 3 days last month with a "mystery illness", all bloodwork fine, but he's sort of lethargic and doesn't have an appetite. So they assume obstruction, even though they can hear things moving right along, they flush him with mineral oil and put him on a complete feed, and tell me no hay for 2 weeks. First of all, he HATED the complete feed, and refused it, so we added a little sweet feed, still wasn't real enthusiastic about it. Finally got to start giving him some hay. Now he doesn't finish any of his food, and he has rabbit poops. He is on antacids, probiotics, prebiotics etc. Any thoughts out there?
default_no.gif

Went back and read closer and realized what I said wasn't relavent, so never mind!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

What you are describing is not normal and should be of some concern. I would put him on sand clear and see if that helps, also add more good hay to his feed. Good luck, you could add some wet beet pulp too.

I'm no expert, for sure, but I'd suspect an ulcer. An ulcer causes them not to drink enough water because it hurts their tummy, and the poop gets smaller. When one of mine starts getting small poops, I always start them on ulcer meds, and usually notice an improvement in a couple days.

icspots, yours really sounds like an ulcer! When they refuse feed, that's a big red flag for ulcers!

Melba

If your worried about "what if it isn't ulcers?" and giving them the meds...it will not hurt them to have the ulcer meds whether they need them or not. I have been known to give them just to keep from getting an ulcer at times.

What do they give them for ulcers besides ulcer gard? He's been through 3 tubes of that stuff and didn't see a difference, but maybe a different protocol would help him. I'm up for trying just about anything at this point, he's lost so much weight and breeding season is just around the corner.
default_wacko.png

Try gastroguard or sulcrafate. Both are wonderful for healing/curing ulcers. Ulcer guard I believe prevents them, so not sure what it does if he has them already.

Sulcarfate comes in liquid or tabs and you can get it from your vet. Carafate will coat the ulcer to give it time to heal. Great stuff. Gastroguard is good too, but more expensive. It is wonderful stuff.

Hope this helps, I would get him some Equine Sr. feed. Also very wet beet pulp and see if he will eat that. He is probably dyhrated by now, so some electolytes. Pedialite as much of it as you can get down him. (Excuse my spelling)

Good luck and let us know how he is doing. He 'has to eat and drink', or his body will shut down.

B

* This is my experience with a couple of cases of ulcers this year, I am not a VET, I am only sharing what worked for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
The vet had him on Senior, and he HATED the stuff, but it is high in fat and she thought it would help, the only thing I can get him to eat right now is wet beet pulp and youth of all things, stands to reason, it's only 8% fat! He will eat hay and is drinking water, and is pooping, but not to my satisfaction
default_wub.png
, so I'll go to the clinic tomorrow and see about the Sulcarfate, it can't hurt and it would be wonderful if we could get him back on track! Thanks so much for the info!

Yes..I am concerned!!I have them both on Sand Clear. I also have them on Equine Senior as well as the Alfalfa pellets (soaked..lots of water.) adnd good quality Orchard hay at night. I might just get some u-guard just to see if it helps any. The vet is coming out to give vaccinations so will have her look at the poops. I suppose I could post a pic on here but do not want to gross people out. Although...horsey poeple LOVE poop!!It is interesting as you can tell os much from it!
default_smile.png

Hi
What you are describing is not normal and should be of some concern. I would put him on sand clear and see if that helps, also add more good hay to his feed. Good luck, you could add some wet beet pulp too.

Feeding mine whole flax daily--between 2 -4 tbsp twice a day seems to keep everyone on track. If it gets cold I add more with some non iodized salt to keep them drinking. Small poops mean not enough water intake, is what I've always heard, but the size of rabbit droppings is very very small. Good luck! I hope he's acting normally asap.

I always worrie about the horses not drinking enough water in winter when its so cold. I add warm (very warm ) water to grain and to anything in a pellet form and make a mush to make sure they are getting some water , and add a few buckets of hot water to the troff. I can tell if they are drinking or not by the poop. hope the vet gives you good news

[SIZE=12pt]If you suspect Ulcers and treat with Gastro Guard or Ulcer Guard or any ulcer preventitive, you'll need to incorperate an antibiotic as well. Tucoprim is a antibiotic that will help to cure the ulcer and not just mask the symptoms. Without using an antibiotic, alot of horses will have reoccuring bouts with ulcers
default_wink.png
[/SIZE]

Joy

Latest posts

Back