VERY IMPORTANT! If you keep your mini(s) in your backyard...please read!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not mini horses (yet) but the city of Seattle just reclassified pygmy goats they reclassified potbelly pigs quite a while back

http://tinyurl.com/325ro4

Last edited by a moderator:
Portland, Oregon, allows livestock of any sort or size within the city limits by permit, providing they are kept 50 feet from any house or business. You must also notify all neighbors of your intentions to keep livestock, but you do not need their signature or their approval...they need to protest on their own if they object.

However, the city does not consider miniature horses to be livestock. When I brought in my paperwork for my permit, having traipsed throughout our densely populated neighborhood telling everyone, the Director of Vector Control laughed at me, saying "You don't need all of this for minis!"

Our city parks also allow horses, so we walked our guys in a nearby city park, visiting with kids, dogs, hikers and bicyclists.

Our back yard opened out onto an alley, and it became a regular route for many who came to know Mingus and Thelonius. One day I was out back with them when a large group came by. They told me that they considered our horses to be an asset to the community...something they never said of Keith and me!

I'll do a search for the City of Portland code...it is online, but I've lost the bookmark.

Last edited by a moderator:
About 6 years ago we did get the ordiance changed in our county. At the time "a horse was a horse" and it didn't matter what size. It took a lot of work and perserverence but we did finally get a meeting with the County board. We presented a lot of information about the miniatures. After our presentation they all agreed it needed to be changed. I think your looking into what other areas are doing is great information to present to your board. I hope it all works out for you!

Oh wow this is from a year ago already...september 2006! I thought I was in trouble or something when I saw it again LOL!

Everyone please note, someone NEW wrote on the very bottom of page 2 with new questions in regards to this topic!

Thanks so much for your responses. I didn't even realize that the posting was a year old. I was just excited to find others talking about the same topic. The odd thing is that my neighbors and neighborhood think it is great idea and would love to have Pasha here. The only problem is the way the ordinance is written and the size and shape of my yard don't leave allot of space for Pasha. If she were permitted to roam freely within the boundaries of our fenced in yard, she would have ample room. I sent an e-mail to our councilman today and hope to be able to get on the city council agenda. I have seen other ordinances that classify miniatures as pets rather than livestock and do not have the rigorous boundary requirements. Thanks again for the support and answers. =
default_smile.png

DHR :aktion033:

If you do some more searches on the forum you should be able to find other discussions about zoning. I know it's been talked about many times in the past. If I remember correctly some places classify minis as .3 animal units instead of 1 like a big horse.

Latest posts

Back