Very First Mini Foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zipper

Reaction score
IMG_0627-1.jpg

IMG_0619-1.jpg
IMG_0513-1.jpg

She was born on March 8th. I hope by going in and handling tons doesnt hurt her. Here in these pictures she

wouldnt leave Lori alone. We dont know what is acceptable and what isnt.

Don't interfer with mom's bonding, but the more you can handle her the better. Just be sure to treat her like a little horse, with horse rules, so she doesn't grow up to be a brat with no manners.

And, she is adorable. Congrats.

Oh she is gorgeous!! However much you want to fuss a foal (and that is no bad thing in general) do remember that the foal belongs to its Momma and needs to make a firm bond with HER. Who is the third horse in that picture? Your mare must be very laid back to allow another horse, even another foal, anywhere near her new baby, they are usually a lot more protective for the first week or so - just be careful that your mare isn't one that will allow anyone (human or animal) to 'take over' looking after her baby. Just occasionally this happens and there is a lack of bonding, which can leave the baby wandering from mare to mare looking for food or comfort. Before a foal's eyes get properly focused, they identify their dams by smell and they need to learn THAT smell, not the smell of others or they can become confused. I had a friend who had this happen with a foal, which then ran off everytime its Momma approached as it couldn't 'see' her properly and hadn't bonded with her smell. The poor mare was frantic - they sorted it by bringing them both in and keeping them stabled together for a couple of days. Experinced brood mares will send another mares foal scuttling back to its Momma if it approaches them so the foals soon learn who they 'belong' to, but younger horses/other foals wont do this, so baby often tags along with them instead of staying lose by their Momma's sides.

Do let us have some more pictures asap, and one of your mare and possibly the Daddy (oh and any of your other animals!) We just love pictures!!

The mare in with her is her sister. She is due anytime soon. If we took the mare out the other mare takes a fit and runs in circles and we didnt want to upset them so we left them

together.

These mares were gotten in Oct. and came bred and dont know when they are due and they have never been around anyone and the people that owned just would go to the place were they were

and there would be a foal. You cant catch these mare when they are out and in the pen they run in a circle but they are getting better because I wont give up and now when they

have there babies I will be able to do more as I didnt want to stress them out so I just have been putting halters on and I combed all the burrs out of manes and tail and that is

about it.

The mother with the foal used to charge us and try to bite you but now if you move slow she isnt to bad. She has come along way but I dont want the foal to be like her but I am so scared that

I will do something that isnt right for the foal she is a little brat though she come up to you and tries to suck on your clothes and everything we stop her but she is pushy.

Is there a forum where you can ask questions just on mare and foals as it seems everytime I am down at the barn there is something I would like to ask or know and usually it

is something stupid or something the foal is doing and I dont know if it is normal.

Zipper, I am moving this post to the main forum. You can also ask any mini related questions you have on there. Pretty foal!

Congrats!
default_thumbup.gif

I always pet on the baby. I find if I don't, that they are shy later on. I've never once had a mare mind me petting her foal, as long as she gets some loving on too!

Ask all the questions you like, right here on the main forum!
default_yes.gif

Thanks everyone for all your nice comments. Now the questions will begin. Thanks for letting me ask questions here.

The day she was born I went to the vets and got her foal needle so she has had that.

She hasnt been outside yet as I cannot get the mare to go and the foal to follow her. How soon should she go outside for a run around?

I dont know how to get her to follow her mom.

If you can get a halter on mom lead her out for a nice walk.Baby will follow mom.Your baby is adorable.Thanks for sharing photos.I am no longer breeding and so miss the babies.Just be sure baby nurses enough and has a first poop.don't be worried in a few days if baby starts eating mom's poop.That is perfectly normal and gets good bacteria into baby's gut.You are so nice for taking such good care of your Minis and ask all the questions you want.Lots of good help on here.Wish I were closer.I would come visit for a FOAL FIX.

Thanks Bevan that was my next question, I caught her eating poop this morning. I was freaking when I saw her doing it.

So do I just let her eat it and does it matter if she eats the other mares poop and not her moms?

I had a scare last night she was sleeping when I went in to check and she was breathing really fast so I ran up and looked it up

and foals breathe 101 respiration per miniute so that was about what she was doing.

I tried leading out the mom but the foal wouldnt follow so I will try again today. I can only get a lead rope around moms neck I will try getting

halter on her. Does stress do anything to her making milk for the baby?

Thanks for all the help everyone. I

Her eating poop is what she's supposed to do! Just make sure she doesn't choke on it is all.

pretty little girl

You can also pick baby up 1 arm around chest and 1 around butt be ready for her to be squirmy and take care not to grab near her umbilical (sp)?cord. You may have a time catching mom and baby again once they is outside so prepare for that.

Latest posts

Back