Vacation weekend at Chincoteague Island

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FairytailGlennMinis

Reaction score
I just got home from a WONDERFUL weekend and thought some of you might like to see pictures from Chincoteague Island. My Dad and Step-Mom have had their vacation and soon to be retirement house built in Greenbackville, VA--about 10-15 minutes from Chincoteague Island. I made the 6 hour drive up there Saturday and quickly fell in love with the whole area. We were up and out the door by 7am Sunday and our first stop was the Misty of Chincoteague Center where I started my day there as if I were home--with pony scratches.

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture062.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Then we went over to the nature trails by the beach and saw a herd of wild ponies:

Picture007.jpg

Picture010.jpg

After that we went over and played on the beach for a bit:

Picture011-1.jpg

Picture012.jpg

We had a nice meal on the boardwalk after going home for showers and a short nap, then ended the picture perfect day with a sunset cruise:

Picture015.jpg

Picture044.jpg

Picture045.jpg

we even got to see dolphins playing from the boat! (watch carefully)

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/1003/lit...nt=Dolphins.flv

We went back to the beach Monday morning before I had to head back home. Man oh man what a wonderful weekend!

-Amy

:aktion033: Wow what beautiful pictures and what a lovely peaceful way to spend a weekend, can you see me turning green :lol:

Yvonne

Lucky You!!! Growing up, my family vacationed on the Outer Banks every year, and I absolutely love it there. I've always wanted to visit the Chincoteague ponies (read all the books as a child), but never made it. Thanks for the pics.

The stuff dreams are made of! Thanks for posting.
default_wub.png
:

Thanks for posting --- a girl hood dream is to adopt one someday - not sure if it will ever happen but to me it would be cool..

What a great way to spend the weekend!!

Amy those pictures made me so want to be there. That picture with the boat is amazing. My parents are leaving Thursday to go with 14 other couples. I soooo want to go, but can't.

A good friend that sold her minis a few years ago(was a past forum member) moved there last year.

I hope to go soon.

How's the beach? A lot of sand? The outer banks has just gotten so bad. They don't have much sand left.
default_sad.png

Kim

OH WOW!!!!

The combination of the Real-Life Beauty of your pictures and the childhood dreams of Misty & Chincoteague... is enchanting.
default_smile.png

Thanks for sharing!

-Becky

:aktion033: nice photos,

boy i wish i could have went on vac over the weekend or anytime.

What a fabulous way to spend a weekend. Your pictures are lovely. mary

So gorgeous! Sounds like a wonderful time.
default_smile.png

Liz

Thanks for letting me share.
default_smile.png
I read the Misty books when I was little and so there was a lot of anticipation there. I have always wanted to go but just hadn't made it up there yet. Now that my Dad and setp-Mom will be up there every other weekend and most holidays I hope to really get to see the area a bit more. The whole place is just simply enchanting! The little stores along the boardwalk were very charming and mostly old fashioned--I loved it! The beaches were amazing--clean and soft sand and lots of wildlife. They said that storms have taken about 1/4 mile of the sandbar from the edge of the island and it is mostly being deposited a way out and you can alctually walk on that area now during low tide. If it weren't for having to go through VA Beach and across the Bay Bridge Tunnel (hello! $12 toll each way!!) I would be going up there every weekend I could! For now, I will be anxiously waiting for Thanksgiving.
default_smile.png

-Amy

Lucky lucky you! I only got to see some big old drafts, one of which needed some help with a wound. I dared stop and see the owner about him subtly and by the time I left he was bearing weight and healing nicely. I also love the Misty story.

Oh Lord.......Can I run away and go there??? It's beautiful.........

MA

Amy- my stepfather just sent pictures from today. They are the same horses as the ones you posted.
default_smile.png

Kim

Amy, may I use the second picture of the ponies? It will be for an online SIM game called Horseland and only will be used by me.

Latest posts

Back