Mingus takes a holiday (a drive on Puget Island)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susanne

dB
Reaction score
This past 4th of July, Keith and Mingus and I travelled over to Puget Island on the Columbia River for a salmon feast and pony drive. My brother's future mother-in-law, Nina, had wanted for some time to meet Mingus and to go for a ride, and since her birthday was July 5, this was the perfect opportunity.

Puget Island is a hidden northwest gem, with quiet roads, old farms and salmon fishing right out the back doors of many houses. It's surprising that so few know about this island paradise, but to be honest, I hope it remains undiscovered. Nina's family has a longtime tradition of keeping fishing poles in the water throughout salmon season, with a bell on each pole to notify them whenever a fish is on the line.

We had a fantastic time with beautiful weather, great company, and delicious food. Mingus had something of a busman's holiday, but anything that involves attention, green grass, and driving is okay with him.

Mingus, a bit fluffy from our wet June, took time before driving to snack on fresh green grass and enjoy his much deserved attention.

P1010136.jpg

Nina had difficulty climbing into our cart, so it was suggested that we parallel park next to the deck so she could just step in. Mingus and I had never worked on maneuvering in reverse, but my smart boy had it accomplished in a minute.

PUGET_ISAND014.jpg

For her birthday drive, Nina saw her beloved island home from a new point of view.

We stopped in front of her neighbor's house for the perfect photo opp.

P1010141.jpg

Enough of this standing still, I want to go!

PUGET_ISAND020.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mingus was rather offended by the slow moving vehicle sign.

PUGET_ISAND016.jpg

The day's drives were short and sweet, but we have plans on exploring the entire island, with its quiet roads, quaint farms, waterfront homes and beautiful river views.

P1010143.jpg

Keith brought Mingus around the back porch to where we were all enjoying grilled salmon, fresh strawberries, cold microbrews and other treats befitting a glorious day. You can see one of the ever-present fishing rods just beyond the sand ready for any salmon swimming by. Nina's house looks out on the main shipping channel of the Columbia, so huge ships pass by regularly.

P1010149.jpg

That horse always amazes me. He's one in a million!!

Wow thats an incredible view!! Mingus looks stunning as usual
default_smile.png
your so lucky to be able to find a paradise like that!! thank you for the pictures
default_smile.png

I love that horse.... but you knew that!!Those are awesome pictures - thanks so much for sharing!!!

Liz N.

That looks like an awesome place to drive! I can see that Nina was all smiles.

Mingus looks all handsome as usual. It's amazing how much he looks like someone took a shrink ray to a large fancy carriage horse. The black harness that you have really goes with his black points.

You've got to somehow get a picture of Mingus with a traditional wooden cart of some sort. Looking at the pictures, it just seems that a metal cart just isn't good enough for him, do you know what I mean?

Looks like a fun day with lots of sunshine!! Mingus is beautiful!!!!!!! The grilled salmon sounds Yummy too!!

I am "Nina" to my grandchildren!!!!!

Thank you all for your comments!

Marty, I totally agree with you. After spending most of my life wishing for a horse...after endlessly drawing horses (typically bays) in the margins of all of my grade school papers...after spending my childhood thinking that, if I only wished hard enough, I'd look out my bedroom window and see a horse...it's as if I conjured him from my imagination. He is truly the horse we need him to be...sweet and gentle with kids and older people, attentive and doting when Keith plays guitar for him...spirited and flashy in the show ring...energetic and feisty, yet perfectly behaved, when hitched. He challenges me, looking me in the eye and asking, "Are you sure?" I just wish photos could show his true beauty, which is his spirit and sweet personality.

For those of you in Oregon and Washington, I plan on organizing a drive on Puget Island. I need to scout the other roads around the island, but I'm thinking this could be a good winter drive, weather permitting.

...and Daryl, I definitely would love to hitch Mingus to an elegant carriage -- and get him the nice harness he deserves.

Latest posts

Back