Using techniques with minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PonyKnit

Reaction score
Can one use regular horse techniques with minis? Of coarse not any to do with riding etc. but techniques found in magazines and books. Such as ground manners, ground work and spook training etc? I have tons of horse magazines and would be great if I could use alot of the info toward minis.

New to forum. Looking to add a mini to our small acreage. Mainly for pet, but would like to show also. Have experience with horses off and on when I was younger.

I have always loved Clinton Andersons techniques and would love to be able to use some with minis.

Very definately! They are just short horses. All is the same, except maybe the cute factor!

I have been a fan of Clinton Anderson since he came on the scene. I use many of his techniques with my minis.

Welcome to the forum!! Of course all horses are individuals, so it is hard to make generalizations, but you SHOULD be able to use any ground techniques with your minis. If you try something and it doesn't work, you might want to try something else, just like you would with any horse (dog, kid...). I have found that minis tend to be easier to train then the big horses, but don't let that fool you into thinking you can skip steps. Many of the books I use for our minis are "big horse" books, including those for carriage driving, in-hand dressage, etc. And the trainers I use have also been big horse trainers.

Where are you located?

I also like Parelli techniques. Anyone used Clinton's and/or Parelli with their minis?

I think 90% of Clinton Anderson's groundwork I have done with my minis. Everything from fundamentals to advanced. For example one horse I started this method with eariler this year, at Nationals he placed 3rd in halter obstacle, 1st year doing it. So it does work.

Minis have the exact same brains as any equine.

Andrea

I use a lot of the "old" John Lyons stuff - I was lucky enough to go to a seminar and 3 day clinic with him years ago (1993). I got more out of auditing the 3 day clinic than watching the seminar, it was awesome - I've refined some for my uses over the years, and I have to say, started using it on my minis when I got into them just 2 years ago and it seems to really work awesome!

I use both Clinton and Parelli with my minis and my big horses. Both are similar with a different approach. What works with one horse might not work with the other, but I have found that a nice mix of the two works wonderfully.

IMO the minis that are handled like big horses are the best mannered. Clinton, Pirelli... many concepts used on big horses can be used on minis. Lunging, driving training... the list goes on and on. Insist on manners for vets, farriers... My farrier says my minis are the best in his practice. My vet says the same. They are well loved, but well manered. A little horse can hurt you just as fast as a big horse when not trained, so I have worked with my horses daily and insist on manners.

It is the same with little dogs. I trained my small dogs the same as I have my big dogs, same training, modified slightly to accomodate size. Little dogs and little horses can be trained just the same as big horses and big dogs. The concepts are the same,big and little (and medium) LOL.

Good question!
default_wub.png
I am sure you will get lots of excellent feedback.
default_yes.gif

welcome to the forum
default_saludando.gif
You are smart to check things out and ask questions in advance... Hope to see photos sometime of your new mini (when you get one)... best wishes.

Well I am definitely NOT a Parelli fan, but I use many other 'big horse' techniques on my minis. Like someone else said, their brains have the same capacity as other equines
default_smile.png

Well I am definitely NOT a Parelli fan, but I use many other 'big horse' techniques on my minis. Like someone else said, their brains have the same capacity as other equines
default_smile.png
I am not a parelli fan either, but I do love the big ball and some other odd stuff he does with the horses. Clinton is my favorite, basically I don't use anybody specific, but do desentization, umbrellas, tarps, balloons, and lots of handling... I like the clinton "don't get in my "space" ... Mini horses shouldn't be bumping you, standing on your feet, crowding any more than the expectations of a draft horse. Respect of your space is important. I walk my guys around the farm like when I take my dogs out for a walk. They do not graze along, but walk respectfully, sometimes we jog. My boys love our walks. best wishes.

Which trainer has the best info on teaching to lunge? My boy crowds me and I can't get him to move off. I did try the carrot stick with a twist, a lunge whip with a carrot tried to the end. He walked around behind it trying to get to the carrot until it fell off and he ate it. He is getting better at walking beside me in the field though he still grabs grass to munch on while we keep moving. Baby steps are better than no progress at all.

Which trainer has the best info on teaching to lunge? My boy crowds me and I can't get him to move off. I did try the carrot stick with a twist, a lunge whip with a carrot tried to the end. He walked around behind it trying to get to the carrot until it fell off and he ate it. He is getting better at walking beside me in the field though he still grabs grass to munch on while we keep moving. Baby steps are better than no progress at all.
You will probably get all kinds of different opinions on who is better. What Clinton Anderson does is he starts his training in the roundpen. Then he goes on by teaching them to pivot and to back and then he teaches them to lounge. Lounging is relatively easy if you teach those things before. He also shows how to teach them to lead but by the time they do all this groundwork its not that hard to teach them to lead.

Latest posts

Back