Using gravel to keep hooves in shape.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat_in_the_hat72

Reaction score
We plan on buying a few acres sometime soon and was told by my farrier to put down gravel around gates and run ins. She said to get whatever was cheap and sharp and I wouldn't have to trim them. To me I would think this may cause more harm then good and I can't see their feet looking very nice. Anyone else ever heard of this?

That sounds very painful to me! It would be like walking on gravel in your barefeet I imagine. Ouch! :new_shocked:

I wouldn't do it. I could see rocks getting stuck in their hooves, and causing problems.

Gravel will help toughen the feet up, but as far as wear the little bit they would be on it wouldnt keep the hooves trimmed down and even if they were on it all the time you'd still need to keep them shaped and balanced.
default_smile.png

Hey estelle..how's whims doing? Heard anything about how treasures doing?

I agree that it will toughen up thier feet but it won't keep them in shape. I have a friend that has her minis and big horses on cinder and it wears the toes down but not the heel. She still needs to have hers trimmed every 6 weeks at the latest.

it will wear them ALOT infact but as others mentioned you will want to have them shaped. I would NOT use the "sharpest" gravel you can find. your asking for stone bruises and punctures if you do that..but a nice medium to fine gravel is the best or a course pebble gravel that is NOT sharp.

Well it makes some sense to me. Similar to walking a dog on concrete to wear down nails I guess. The sharp rock is what really made me wonder. I didn't think that would be good for them and end up making them sore. Would be nice to put something by the gates and run ins where it's bound to get muddy and if it helps wear down a bit all the better. When the time comes I'll just have to look for something that will be a bit easier on their feet.

It might, but it might also cause a lot of bruising and trauma. I would strongly recommend against it. Small pieces can get wedged in the frog. It is unsteady footing and if deep, will cause tendon strain. Would YOU like to walk around on gravel??? I think not.

I recommend getting a good farrier to visit your horses ever six to eight weeks. That will keep the feet at a good length as well as properly balanced.

Andrea

:no: asking for nothing but trouble..farrier trims are part of owning a horse...nothing can take that away.

We have gravel all around the offices, which means we also have gravel near and between all three barns. It is a NIGHTMARE! It gets everywhere ,and I spend a lot of time walking the pastures and tossing it out. Do NOT intentionally put it in your pastures. Why? Twice now after all the conditioning and grooming I've had show horses come up lame because a piece got up in their hoof and we had to soak it out. Just to be safe, every time we take a horse anywhere on the farm we pick its hooves. It will also dry out and chip your horses feet. :no:

Don't get me wrong. I know nothing can replace a regular trimming. Just not sure why my farrier would recommend this saying I would not need to trim. Coming from someone who is supposed to know horse feet you would think they would know. Everyone has their own ideas and opinions I guess. I someday hope to learn to trim myself as to cut down on the cost. If it helped their feet in anyway that would be great. From the sounds of the responses I'm getting I think I may stay away just on the side of caution.

I would forget the gravel and look for a new farrier!
default_yes.gif
:

i second that one! find someone who will teach you to trim, it's not that hard... our farrier taught us after my pregnant mare kicked him you-know-where... :new_shocked: i TOLD him not to crank her leg up, she was getting uncomfortably big... and we taught our daughter who at 17 earns her car insurance by trimming...

I am going to third that one. Forget the gravel and look for a new farrier. I don't think it is good

advice. If you want to put something down for better footing for your horses, I would suggest going with something else like limesand. You still need to have your minis hooves trimmed on a schedule.

I have one mare whose hooves grow out before the other horses. When her hooves start looking a little long, I call my farrier for a trim and everyone gets trimmed.

Freida

Not just the bruising but the little teeny tiny pieces of gravel will work their way up the white line and blow out of the hoof wall. The scary part is it takes a couple of months for it [the gravel] to work up through. Linda B

QUEEN OF GRAVEL AT YOUR SERVICE.......VAROOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM

First off in my humble opinion, nothing would take the place of a proper farrier trim.

I do have 1/2 half inch gravel roads built all around my barnyard and paths that lead up to each field so that I do not slip in the mud and bust my hump anymore and I love it. It took me ten dang years to get these gravels and I don't know how I managed before without it. I can drive a vehicle on it without getting stuck in the mud also, but mainly, it's for me to walk on. Dan spread them with the tractor and then we ran over them for days and days to set them.

The horses have the option of staying on the gravel roads or not, to get into their assigned fields. Frankly, they don't seem to care and choose both ways every day. They get on the road and get off the road. I also have gone inside each gateway about 3 1/2 feet also with the gravel, where they congregate at the gates so they don't make a muddy sloppy mess there either. That is also where I put their water troff too so that doesn't become a muddy sloppy mess either when they all stand around there. I do not have problems with them getting gravels stuck in their feet at all, not once. They are not sore, nor has there been any brusing, but remember, it's not like they are standing on it continually either, but not saying a gravel couldn't get stuck, sure could, just hasn't happened. And don't forget, I do pick out their feet so if there was anything causing a problem, I'd see it during a hoof picking session.

In one area, I have a very large 2" gravel and that is for where I park my trailer, so that it doesn't get stuck in any mud either. The horses never go on that at all. I can't even hardly walk on that.

I don't mean to sound whiney, honest; but I have slipped a lot and fallen on the mud we had up here and on many occasions my boots were sucktioned right off my feet! This was the answer.

Here's Dan, spreading the gravel for me.

DantractorA.jpg

Here is a picture of the back of the barn and the roads before it was finished

gravelroads.jpg

And the gravel road that is in front of the barn

BarnChristmas2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Find yourself a new farrier- the one you have obviously does not want the job to give such poor advice.

I've seen horses ridden and driven on gravel roads, and yes, riding and driving on gravel roads does wear down the hoofs so they don't need trimming so often--they do, however, get chipped & still need to be evened up by a farrier...horses also get stone bruised this way, though I know people that always ride down the gravel roads & never seem to come up with a lame horse. Unless it has rained & the road is soft, I stay off the gravel when riding or driving.

I also know horses that are pastured on rocky ground, and yes, those horses do wear their hoofs down & don't need to be trimmed as frequently. Again, they do still need to be evened up.

Simply putting gravel in gateways and around water troughs, as far as I've ever seen, is not enough to have the horses wear their feet down. They simply aren't on the gravel enough to make any difference. I wouldn't have a problem with having gravel in those places to keep mud down, but I wouldn't expect it to do anything at all for the horses' feet....nor would I use the sharpest gravel...we do have some gates here we need to add gravel to, just to eliminate some problems with mud, but we'll be using gravel with smaller smoother stones rather than big sharp stones.

My vote is with those who said never mind the gravel, find a new farrier!

My concern with the "smaller/gritter gravel types", would be the horse "accidently ingesting some", as it tends to "get everywhere."

Perhaps your farrier could start showing you how to rasp a little between trimming.. Or better yet, maybe find a good farrier that wont mind teaching you "how to trim your own".. It may take many.- many lessons,.. but you will find it worth it in the long run.
default_yes.gif
: I learned this way years ago, and have been doing my own now for years.

Latest posts

Back