Using gravel to keep hooves in shape.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[SIZE=12pt]Here's what I can tell you about gravel and horses feet! Small peices of gravel can work it's way into the (soft part) white line of the foot causing them to separate and abcess!
default_sad.png
I would not put a horse on gravel to help keep their feet worn! :no: I would find me a good farrier to keep them in top shape!
default_yes.gif
: [/SIZE]

Bill

Huge farrier bills are one reason I'm downsizing my herd, I just don't want to pay them anymore and here, all I'd have had to done is get a few loads of gravel (the stone quarry down the hill is on Nates land, he or we own it) and I would have saved ALOT of money! Seriously, you need a New Farrier!

Last edited by a moderator:
First I agree with some of the others.....you need a new farrier! I do use gravel in some areas because we get so much rain in the winter everything gets mucky. I used to have a big problem with deep mud in their paddocks off the barn. I finally put down 3/4 minus and then I got "reject" sand which is very coarse and put it on top of the gravel. Works really well but now the gravel is working it's way to the surface.....so come spring/summer I'll put more sand on. I'll take anything over the muck! Even with some of the gravel on the surface it doesn't seem to bother them much. I will occas find a chunk stuck in their hoof.

Latest posts

Back