Updated pics of Mya's pony

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley

Reaction score
I was out in the pasture tonight just sitting to see if by chance I could get "wild child" to come up to me. She is about a month old and I need to get working with her so she isnt so wild. I still dont have a name for her that I like so any suggestions would be great. Grandma gave the baby to Mya, and the mare is my old show mare that I showed 17 years ago for 3 years (wow where did time go?). The pics are taken with my cell, which doesnt normally take such crappy pics. It might be because it was starting to get dark.

I do think she will be black and white. I dont have a clippers to clip her anymore, plus the horses are already getting their winter coats so I wouldnt dare. So a question for those that live up north. This filly isnt going to be ready to wean until Nov. I was thinking about just leaving her on the mare until spring instead of trying to bring her through a winter freshly weaned. The mare hasnt been bred back, and even tho she is going on 18 she holds weight very well. This shouldnt be an issue for the mare should it? I also thougth this might be easier on the filly as there are no other foals around for her to wean with. Figured if I weaned her in the spring, I could send her to my aunts to live with her horses until its safe to bring her back to the group.

528094_10151199953526153_1493729616_n.jpg

561115_10151199953011153_1936397718_n.jpg

I would just leave them together. I live in northern Minnesota and my mare just foaled in April and I am just starting to wean them but in your case I would leave them together!
default_smile.png

As long as the mare is doing well leave her on. I didn't wean several of last year's foals until this spring.
default_yes.gif

I weaned my first foal early spring of her yearling year, as I didn't want to be trying to wean in the middle of winter, it worked just fine and momma stayed nice and fluffy all winter, too.

I really need to wean my foal right now because her mom has a huge belly ( it has not gone back down since birth) and her hips are showing and she is on grain, grass, and alfalfa mixed hay!

I really need to wean my foal right now because her mom has a huge belly ( it has not gone back down since birth) and her hips are showing and she is on grain, grass, and alfalfa mixed hay!
Is the mare getting enough grain? Some needs lots of grain when lactating. How old is your foal? Is the foal eating creep feed, and how much?

One of my lactating mares has a huge belly compared to the other two, but her backbone and hips are filled out, so she'll stay with her colt til a more appropriate weaning time. For her, it might just be her time on grass making her belly bigger; I really don't know, so will have to pay attention to how she looks in the morning after being on hay over night and see if there is a difference.

Latest posts

Back