Update!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry you are having so many problems but you can only be commended for the care and caring you are giving this horse. Chances are your vet did you a favor by treating you that way as they are probably not very good at treating and diagnosing and certainly don't have good people skills.

You have had good advice for the rainrot but I would like to address the strangles issue. I have had advice from very good vets that say you should only vaccinate when there is an outbreak. I have seen it go through stables and have seen deaths from it and it is not pretty. Yes, you can treat it once your horse gets it but it is much more costly to treat than vaccinate to keep it at bay once it breaks out, to say nothing of how infectious it is. It is debilitating and takes about 6 months for the horse is recover and get back to it's former baseline. In my attempts to practice good herd management, I have found prevention to be the better policy.

I did do the strangles vacc! I gave it to all of mine 3 months ago. I take care of all the vacc. and the coggins work. I think I only is not utd on her coggins but she's only 5 months old.

The money I have is spent on my horses welfare, if I own them they will get taken care of. If I can't take care of the ones I have then they are sold to someone better.

But yes they did do me a favor because the don't know horses like the people I found Thursday!

JJDLUREN

Is that what they said she has? I'm just curious, wanted to look it up - always like to learn about new stuff.

GOOD ON YOU for getting her that help!

JJDLUREN

Is that what they said she has? I'm just curious, wanted to look it up - always like to learn about new stuff.

GOOD ON YOU for getting her that help!

LOL, thats what it sounded like but I didn't do the correct spelling or didn't understand hal of it

Last edited by a moderator:
I also give a resounding your a great horsey mom! I feel for you as none of this is easy.

I realize its on the bottom of the worry list but for rain rot - I 2nd the Micro-tek but make sure its the Anti-Microbial as they have different product lines, it comes in a spray and a shampoo, make sure its the bright pink writting as that's horse strength (I think dog is blue lettering) your probably going to need both to start with the spray can be put on liberally and then I gentle massage it in to get it to the skin.

Gold nugget makes a Antibacterial shampoo that should help with the rain rot and as its healing they have a theriputic lotion that works fairly well at soothing and helping the hair come back, Gold Nugget also make (or use to make) a 6 way conditioner that's leave in and works really well for hair growth.

I'd also ask the vet about MTG (or asking your vet about you gettin the dry sulfur powder from them with a dosing mixture from the vet. MTG is basicly mineral oil and sulfur powder... sulfur helps with many skin issues (I didn't know til recently that it also makes tails and manes grow)

These were the products that worked best for me, I've tried many in the past, these are what I saw the best results with.

Good luck - take a deep breath - hug your mare

And keep us posted, sending
default_wub.png
your way.

Latest posts

Back