Update on question about breeding two yr old

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

js1arab

Reaction score
Just wanted to let everyone know what I decided. I am NOT going to breed her. Thankfully I decided to tough it out for a while and her cycle FINALLY calmed down. I am going to go by my vet's office and talk to him about putting her on ReguMate before the shows as we will probably only do 3 or 4. I just don't feel she is metally mature enough and I think we all agree that most 2 yr olds could use more growing physically if possible.I think my stallion is a bit upset with my decission, but he'll forget all about it next spring :bgrin Believe me, there was one day when she had to have peed almost a 5 gal bucket full in about a 10 min time frame and I was certainly ready to breed her just so I wouldn't have to deal with that. But I just didn't think it was fair to her for me to take the "easy" way out so I didn't. Hopefully future cycles will be somewhat more subtle, but I think I'll go get the ReguMate and be sure
default_yes.gif
:
default_wink.png
: Thanks to all who offered their thoughts both pros and cons.

I didn't see the other post, but I am glad you made the decision you did. I don't think I'd want to breed a two year old, either.

Our yearling filly is on the show circuit this year, and the trainer wanted to put her on Regumate because at her first show she went into her second heat cycle ever, and she was NOT a nice filly! It turned her from a sweet little darling into a real shrew! So she'll go on Regumate and hopefully everyone will be happier.

This same filly tested LWO positive, and I have two awesome stallions I can't wait to start trying with her, but I'll wait till she's at least three, if not four. Horses just need to develop their skeletal structures and musculature a bit before carrying a foal, IMO.

I know it came down to YOU making the final decision, but I'd like to say Yay! :aktion033:

I think you made a good one........

MA

Latest posts

Back