Update- Five Dead Foals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepperhill

Reaction score
Some of you may have read my post earlier about how we have had 5 fillies that died during foaling due to not getting out of the bag. We have consulted several vets and although we have run several tests and looked into several different theories on why it is happening, we still do not have an answer to the mystery.

HOWEVER,

I am thrilled to say that yesterday morning one of my mares gave birth to a tiny little filly. She was the only mare that I didn't see get bred last year, so I had no idea when she was due. In fact, if she hadn't started bagging up just a little bit, I would have thought she wasn't even bred as she looked completely normal in the stomach. I checked her over pretty carefully the night before, and the few droplets of milk I could get out looked the same as they had for a week or two....clear and NOT sticky. There was no swelling in the vulva and none of that "dropped" look. In fact, I was thinking that IF she was actually bred, she wouldn't be due for weeks or even months yet. I was totally surprised when she foaled. Everything went just fine. This baby is the tiniest we have ever had. No wonder her momma wasn't showing at all! She weighs under 20 pounds and is only about 16-17" at the withers. Her momma is 32" and her sire is 29.5". It will be interesting to see how big she gets.

It was so nice to finally have a filly make it! I have one mare left to foal. I hope it goes as well as this one did. Here is Peppers Daisy Mae:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e166/Pep...007Foals007.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e166/Pep...007Foals016.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on your new filly. I am sorry you dont have the answers but am so glad that everything went ok

I'm SO glad you got a live filly!!! WHOOO HOOO!!!! :aktion033:

What a beautiful little girl! Well worth the wait Im sure!

Lyn

she is beautiful
default_wub.png
:

congratulations on a healthy filly

You're reminding me of Lara's post about God taking away and giving back..........What a beautiful example!

Congratulations!

MA

She is a beautiful filly!!!! Congratulations on her and ENJOY her!!! You deserve to
default_yes.gif
:

Congrats, she is really pretty. Enjoy her.

She's pretty, and ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations on a beautiful filly. I am so glad everything went textbook perfect for you. Corinne

default_wub.png
: aw she is great looking filly. Looks like things are looking up for you.

:aktion033: Congratulations! She is a pretty filly!!

Thank goodness.. and she is very pretty.

Lara

:aktion033: CONGRATE'S Linda!!!!!!!! She is a cutie!!

Also for those of you who don't know Linda, I live not too far from her.....but the same day her filly was born she took her 2 MOST adorable daughters to thier FIRST (big horse) open show and they cleaned house!! And had a blast!! She should be THEE proudest mother!!!!!!!! (I got to see photos of her girls showing thier horses!)........That was AWSOME Linda!!
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back