Unspoken Horse Showing Rules?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremor

Reaction score
My mom and I had talked a while ago about unspoken horse showing rules after my last horse show.

I don't show too often (small FFA/4H shows) and I've only shown five times total. Most of the time I show alone in the class and I tend to talk to my horse. Its more of a thing to make the whole thing light hearted and to keep the horse calm. (I've shown foals predominantly.) I try to make the horse think that its only a training session; especially my foals.

I have shown in classes with other horses/ponies, and its SO quiet. And here I am cracking jokes to my horse. (I'm being literal here. I tell jokes.....)

I've always thought that it seems that people aren't having fun. You know? I can't imagine being so quiet while handling my horse. To me it seems like everybody is SO serious. I'm obviously not being serious when I show. I get super stressed if I show and don't talk to my horse. Which is why I talk and crack jokes. I usually end up talking to the judge as well.

My mom mentioned to me that it seems to be an unspoken rule NOT to verbally socialize with your horse in the ring. (Not including kissy noises and verbal commands.)

Is that true? Because honestly, I better quit showing.
default_biggrin.png
(Not happening, lol.)

How about to talk to other showers?

In one of the classes I did one of the QH's spooked on this one little kid. The horse calmed down and I asked him if he was okay. Nobody else did. Is it an unspoken rule NOT to talk to other showers?

So....is it bad to be anti-social while showing? To me it seems very harsh and serious. Even un-inviting!

I'm curious if there are any other unspoken rules about showing. I'm not familiar with show politics within the horse community.

Thanks, lol. Just one of my many random questions.

-Julia

I show regularly, and I love to show. I find nothing more fun!

I "talk" to my horses more in driving and liberty, but in a line class (with the exception of young horses) I am all business(especially in showmanship). My horses know the job at hand and I am out there to try to get the best performance from them that I can. I'm usually all smiles but am very focused. Once I leave the ring, I'm happy to talk and socialize (with people and horses
default_smile.png
)... But in the ring, I am being judged and that is my focus - to bring the best out in my horses for the judge. Some times in smaller classes I will relax more and "talk" with my horse, but not normally in big classes. I do however often mention to the horses what class we are going into next and what is expected from them. I do talk to my horses a lot in general, just not normally in the ring.

That's how I work
default_wink.png
. The key, in my opinion, is to do what works for YOU! I find that when someone knows their horse, they know how to get them to look good. I would never ever look down at someone for doing something differently (unless I felt it was cruel or abusive). Different people handle stress differently, and it is possible that some exhibitors forget to talk to their horse! Showing also takes a lot of practice and time to do well, but again, to me, it is all about having fun first.

So not sure if that helps? As far as talking to fellow exhibitors, some of my horse show competitors are some of my best friends! My dad and I ALWAYS enjoy the social aspect of visiting with old and new friends at shows!!!
default_aktion033.gif

I can't really answer your question, but generally people do talk to their horses, just very quietly. I think its fine that you asked if the little boy was ok.

However, this post did remind me of a very funny story. A friend of ours went to nationals to show her horse that was with a trainer in a few ammy classes. So she decided to do showmanship. She had never, ever shown showmanship before, but her horse was trained for it. So she spent all night working on it, and got in the ring, and did the pattern fine. Well, she went up to the judge for inspection, and he asked her something like "how are you today?" And she just starts talking and talking and asking her questions, and he does the little walk around, and they just stand there and talk for like 3 minutes, literally. So anyways, they finish the pattern and complete the rest of the class. Her trainer is just like "what did she do?!?!?!?!". He thought she had totally gone nuts. So they announced placings, and she got like a 4th! Now everytime she goes in the ring, we remind her "don't talk to the judge!" Lol! So I guess not all talking to the judge is bad.

You can talk to me all you want in the ring, but don't expect me to answer while I'm being judged, lol. I'm generally way too focused to hear much of what else is going on, especially when showing halter.

I do enjoy talking after the judges have turned in their cards, though.

My daughter used to 'dance' during her youth halter classes. One of her horses became very alert when she did so. The trainer we used at the time was not as amused, though. And she got a little lecture when she left the arena. Kelsey didn't let it phase her and just 'toned' down the dance a bit, until she got a bit older and became more self conscious.

There is an exhibitor that I'm up against in some driving classes that talks to the horse constantly and a bit loudly. It is distracting and can make my horse react if I'm not paying close attention.

So, I would advise that you talk to your horse quietly and wait to talk to the exhibitors until the judges have turned their cards in.

I talk to my horses pretty non-stop, but hopefully its done quiet enough that I don't disturb other exhibitors or their horses. I am generally trying to calm the horse and keep their focus on me. I always use "pretty girl" when they are giving me their neck and ears. I know for a fact the judges can hear this when they are viewing my horses. I also use a sound like "aaaap!" When they move a leg or something. I never use no, as I think it's too close to whoa. I will use quit if they are getting crabby or fidgety or nippy.

I don't hesitate to tell another exibitor if they are crowding me or if their horse is unruly and detracting from the class.

If I had seen another exibitor In trouble, especially a child, i would not hesitate to check on them or help out.

Last edited:
I talk to my horses in the ring but I do it very quietly. It is always little muttered comments and commands.

I never talk to the other competitors and if the judge syas or asks somthing I keep the response brief and polite. My trainer can't stand it when he sees people start chatting with the other handlers and I think he'd murder me if I took it up!

I have nothing against people being in their for fun, but for me showing is serious and I'm there to do a job. If another competitor wants to chat with me they can talk back at the floats. I'll only say somthing if I need to check if someone is alright or if they are crowding me.

Talking is for at home or when you are 'at ease.' The communication between you and the horse should be so refined, by the time that you hit the show pen that you shouldn't have to verbalize. Training happens at home. Any good team, be they on the stage or in the show ring, have wonderful non-verbal communication. You should, by the time you hit the ring, have that kind of relationship with your horse. If you feel the need to verbally chat with your horse in the ring, maybe you are insecure about some point in your performance and need to go back to your training routine and refine the point in the training that makes you uneasy. There are some wonderful local, non-rated shows to work out those issues before you enter the rated show ring and the Area or National level. By the time you get there, it should all be communicated through body position and movement, not through words, it can be distracting to other exhibitors and their horses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Julia

It is a rule that handlers cannot use bait or other methods that will distract other horses/handlers. So talking quietly would be okay but I don't recommend it. Your entire focus should be on your horse and where the judge is.

My friends tease me that I have such tunnel vision when I am in the ring that I do not see anything around me. One of my friends showed a horse I bred right behind me and I never knew it until we stopped showing and went to the side
default_smile.png

I also show for the "fun" of it but I am also serious. As a breeder it is important that my horse place to show that I am on track with what I am breeding. I have tons of fun before and after I go in the ring. But once I go in the ring I am all business.

It costs a ton of money and time to show a horse so once I step in the ring its all business.

Unspoken rules

Dont crowd other exhibitors or creep up on their horse while in the ring.

Dont come up on someone with a stallion on your lead to chat. Especially if they have another stallion on their lead.

Always say thank you when you get a ribbon even if its the last place ribbon.

Congratulate the winner of the class.

Once your class is over leave the ring promptly (dont stand around chatting)

In most any class with a line-up - showmanship and driving anyway - it is an unwritten rule not to speak to fellow competitors in the line up. In our shows pinning is done later, but if it is done in the ring, of course you can and should congratulate the winners and clap.

Didn't see this one mentioned, so just in case: you never speak to the judge unless he/she speaks first. In showmanship it is OK to say good morning when you approach, but usually you wait to be spoken to first. This also goes for chance encounters in the rest room, the lunch table or wherever. If you have a question for the judge, you ask the ring steward (or other official) if it is OK to ask. I know that at some shows you will see exhibitors chatting with the judges, but that really is a no-no and at some shows (I have seen it happen) someone will complain. Sometimes toward the end of the day the judges might relax a bit and start joking with exhibitors, and it is OK to follow their lead, within reason.

I'm like Kay ---- tunnel vision. You're horse would pretty much have to stomp a hole in you before I'd notice. That's the way my nerves show up. I cannot see nor hear anything around me --sometimes including the judge who had to ask me 3 times to show my horses teeth!

Ditto what Val and Kaykay said- tunnel vision and I will not answer you if you attempt to strike up a conversation with me. I show for fun also, but to me, presenting your horse in the ring is the 'job' that you are there to do- chatting should be outside the ring. I also will be more than happy to visit with you after class.

And yes, it's not a good thing if you are carrying on a monologue and disturbing others around you in a class, even if your conversation is with your horse. It should be quiet and not disturb others........
default_yes.gif

It all depends on the show, the people, and the class. Normally when I'm in a halter class, I will speak to my horse, but normally it's just commands. If they do something good I reward them with a "Good boy" and that's about it. I do speak to the judge but I WAIT until they have spoken to me first, do not start a conversation with them, keep it brief. If they don't speak to you, just remember to smile and nod so they know you know they are there.
default_yes.gif
I am only on my 2nd year showing and I am also still learning myself.

Thanks for asking the question! I had noticed this too but chalked it up to everyone focusing in on their horse trying to get the best possible look for the judge.

I will relate a "funny" that happened this year though. I show at my miniature club's shows which are modest in size and low key, but still helps me learn what this showing thing is all about. I faced the same two year old in our mare class but during either the 2nd or 3rd show, that mare wasn't there, so it was just me going into the ring.

My goofy teenage daughter, known as my helper, was standing just off to the side of the ring gate. As I started to go in, she says in a loud stage whisper: "Good luck, Mom! I hope you win!" She kinda forgot that the judge was standing RIGHT THERE. I couldn't help myself and I sort of snorted, trying to hold back a full blown laugh. I was looking right at the judge. Who then smiled real big and said "I hope you win too!"

2nd best moment of my showing season this year, right after getting my first ever grand reserve at the season's first show.

My daughter is now "retired" as my helper. I'm going to really miss her next year.

Thanks to everyone else for offering their advice on the question. Us newbies can always use this kind of information!
aktion033.gif

Our unwritten rules:

don't use something that will distract the other handlers/horses - such as loud clickers or rattlers.

Don't say anything that will distract the other handlers/horses

Don't talk to anybody until the cards are turned in and the class has been relaxed.

I have this habit of kissing my ponies on the nose because they are so darn cute....yes even in the ring. A friend (a very experienced exhibitor of Arabians) once said to me in a very exasperated voice ................''for heaven's sake wait until you get out of the ring before you kiss the thing."...................

I'm trying.

I look at it this way...I am paying to get that judges opinion today. I think it shows respect to that judge and to the other exibitors by not chatting away in the lineup. It could cause a distraction to the judge. I believe this is the case even in the smaller shows. As soon as that judge turns their card in, they have made up their mind, so it is ok to start chatting.

I just had this exact situation come up in a local show. The chatty one was a seasoned show person, that obviously didn't have any respect for the judge or the other competitors. She made a snide comment when I didn't respond to her questions that she kept repeating loudly. I finally said a quiet "not now" to her and her comment was, "well, this is just a little back yard show! Why do you care?" After the judge had turned in the card, I tried to explain to her how I felt...she still didn't get it...
default_no.gif

In any class, I will usually wait for the cards to be turned in before I talk to other exhibitors, my horse, or myself
default_smile.png
. Once the cards are in however, it is appropriate to relax. Many times, the judges will give a verbal "Thank You" at the end of a class, this is a cue that you are no longer being judged (therefor you don't need to act like you are).

Back