Unpopular request

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistyrose

Reaction score
I know this will not be a popular request and it is not an offical request, just a personal one.

I see request after request to look a horse up for someone. Please only do it once. Amha dropped their studbook fee to $25 several years ago from $75. This is for an entire year of unlimited use. Its a reasonable fee for a great service. Everytime you look horses up for someone else you are ineffect keeping reveneue from the Association. After you look that first horse up please ask them to subscribe to the studbook and support the service. If you don't the fees could go up for everyone.

Like I said this is just a personal request so my fees don't go up to use the studbook that I have paid for.

Thanks

I too agree that this fee is reasonable. I used to pay much more for it and in fact, much more for the huge paper studbooks.

It is wonderful to have and I am sure you will get your moneys worth in a year.

Thanks for bringing this up Misty Rose

I agree...$25 really is a drop in the bucket, and AMHA definately needs those drops to add up to a bucketful!
default_yes.gif

I agree - I think $25 is a bargain for all the information available from the Studbook, not just pedigrees. I thought it was a bargain at $75 a few years ago when I was shopping for minis. It is a great way to check that the papers are in the sellers name, haven't been revoked (for not going permanent) and to check foaling history. I don't know how many times I would see an ad for "easy foaler, gets in foal easily" and she had maybe 1 or 2 foals over several years. OK, maybe they weren't registered, but that would just be another red flag. I wouldn't rely much on the colors though!!

And for those that think they won't use it enough for even the $25 cost, boy how wrong you would be. I use mine almost daily. If I see a horse I like, thought I knew, would like to know or just want to see if a horse has been registered or transfered, DNA tested or PQ already, I can check it out. If I see and ad that says a relative was World or Reserve World Champion, I can check it out. I really do get my $25 worth every year. Actually just renewed it for the 7th year in row. If you do much of anything with AMHA then this is something that is well worth every penny. Oh and for those online sales, you can research every horse that is AMHA registered. The only thing you can't count on is the number of foals, some people just don't register all of the babies (I even registered my filly that only lived 9 days so my mares production record is correct) or colors.

Wow, I had no idea it was reduced to just $25 now. I'll definately be subscribing then!
default_yes.gif
Thanks so much for posting this thread...I've just always assumed it was still "up there" in price, so never considered it would now be "in reach" for us "po-folk" too, LOL. THANK YOU SO MUCH, AMHA!!!
default_aktion033.gif

Phoned AMHA and just found you are correct only $25.00 not too many seems to have known this.

I did not. but still more for us Canadians, just wish when our dollar was up, they would allow different in pricing?
default_no.gif

Oh well, will not give up my AMHA / AMHR any ways no matter what price.

I do appreciate anyone taking the time to share their stud book. I agree if need too many buy.

Every dollar right now, helps us too.

Crysler laying off one whole shift, another 1200 or more out of work.
default_no.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know how many times I would see an ad for "easy foaler, gets in foal easily" and she had maybe 1 or 2 foals over several years. OK, maybe they weren't registered, but that would just be another red flag. I wouldn't rely much on the colors though!!
Not to change the subject of topic for this thread, but I was wondering why this would be a red flag? Some of us don't breed every mare every year of their life...
default_sad.png
Still doesn't mean they are infertile...the owner of the mare may just not be a typical "breed happy" with any available uterus.
default_unsure.png
{{{HUGS}}}
default_wub.png

I agree that $25 fee is more than reasonable. I wish AMHR was as low ( it is $60 I think)

It is a great service and I only wish we could do the same in the dog world!

I don't know how many times I would see an ad for "easy foaler, gets in foal easily" and she had maybe 1 or 2 foals over several years. OK, maybe they weren't registered, but that would just be another red flag. I wouldn't rely much on the colors though!!
Not to change the subject of topic for this thread, but I was wondering why this would be a red flag? Some of us don't breed every mare every year of their life...
default_sad.png
Still doesn't mean they are infertile...the owner of the mare may just not be a typical "breed happy" with any available uterus.
default_unsure.png
{{{HUGS}}}
default_wub.png
Tanya, I agree with Targetsmom in that it would be a "red flag" IF it was advertised the way she stated. Likely the owner like yourself with the situation you have described, would likely not advertise that say way, but would mention that the mare has not been bred very often, but when it was, she had not problems conceiving, carrying and foaling.

What I have done in instances similar to that (but with stallions where they show minimal offspring for their age), is get the current owner's permission to call the registry/association to get a list from them to tell me on the stallion reports submitted each year, how many mares were on it, and how many foals resulted from them. So in other words, if they were reported to have bred 10 mares over the years, and 8 foaled, that is pretty darn good, however, if he was reported to have bred 10 mares, and only 2 live foals resulted, that would concern me and likely make me decide against persueing it any further.

Tanya, I agree with Targetsmom in that it would be a "red flag" IF it was advertised the way she stated. Likely the owner like yourself with the situation you have described, would likely not advertise that say way, but would mention that the mare has not been bred very often, but when it was, she had not problems conceiving, carrying and foaling.
What I have done in instances similar to that (but with stallions where they show minimal offspring for their age), is get the current owner's permission to call the registry/association to get a list from them to tell me on the stallion reports submitted each year, how many mares were on it, and how many foals resulted from them. So in other words, if they were reported to have bred 10 mares over the years, and 8 foaled, that is pretty darn good, however, if he was reported to have bred 10 mares, and only 2 live foals resulted, that would concern me and likely make me decide against persueing it any further.

Aaaaaahhh, okeedoke. Never thought to look at it like that.
default_wink.png
I humbly offer my favorite quote...in the words of the Great Gilda Radner....

"Never mind."
default_wub.png
default_laugh.png

I know this will not be a popular request and it is not an offical request, just a personal one.

Thanks
In my view - this should not be an unpopular request. I work HARD for that $25 - and I refuse to look up a horse for anyone. And it is an extremely reasonable fee - whether you have 2 horses or 200. And yes - I buy it EVERY year - it is an invaluable tool.

Actually even checking to see how many mares are on a stallion report verse how many foals were produced still won't give you an accurate number. It won't take into account foals that died, mares that aborted, foals that were just not registered. The only sure way for a stallion or mares production record to be correct is for the breeder to register every foal that was born. Yes even the ones that die. AMHA was wonderful when I registered my filly last year. The only pictures I had were taken in the first few days when she was at the vets and had IV's in and a bandage on her leg. They took the pictures, issued me a certificate for her with deceased stamped on it. Now my mares foaling history will include her first foal. We as breeders are the one that will help keep these studbooks accurate. Don't sell a foal on application, make sure it has registration papers when it is sold. Then no one will have to wonder about your mares or stallions history.

You can now pay AMHA online for the studbook service etc. This was also new to me.

Here is the link for membership renewal etc.

AMHA Pay Online

I agree that $25 for AMHA is great...$65 for AMHR on the other hand is a little pricey?!?!? I use Horsestudbook whenever I am looking for a horse that is AMHR or unknown! They are great too.

According to the current work order form on AMHR website, the online studbook is $50 for 2500 hits, as much as I use mine, I have never gone over the number of hits allowed.

Good post, Libby

I have subscribed to both AMHA and AMHR studbooks for years (even at the higher prices) and use them a lot!!

Susan O.

I, too, am thinking the AMHR studbook is $50 and that is for both AMHR and ASPC horses/ponies. I get the AMHR one every year.

I have asked for 2 look ups. Simply because I dont have a lot of cause to do a look up.

If I ever needed another one or was horse shopping I would indeed be buying the AMHR Studbook and the AMHA Studbook as well.

I have purchased both in the past. I just have not needed it too much in the recent years.

Latest posts

Back