Unfolding in a Foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TuffyLynn

Reaction score
Hi All! just thought i would put another conversation out there.....

How long do you all wait until you colt or filly "unfolds" to really "look" at them

have a fantastic day!

Not really sure about the "unfolding" part, but one saying I have heard is to see how they look at 3 days and 3 months to predict how they will look at 3 years. But I think there are other versions of that saying too! I guess the key is that all body parts don't necessarily "mature" at the same rate but there are certain ages when things should even out. But I doubt that the foals know the sayings either, and each will mature at his/her own rate!!!

I have found that foals that are born a little too early take longer to unfold. Those take about 5-7 days. Foals born on time or late tend to be totally unfolded by day 2.

I have also heard that if you like 'em at 3 days you will like them when they are grown. 3 mos is also a good time to look. Then DON'T look for a while :O)

It has seemed to work for me. I can usually tell.... the ones that are good will shine a few days after they are born, and others just don't have quite that look. Not saying that they are not good foals. But I think that you can tell the incredible ones right away.

Julie Good

Azariah Miniatures at Meadowind Farm

www.azariahminiatures.com

Manheim, Lancaster County, PA USA

Latest posts

Back