Unexpected

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter

Reaction score
Our 17 yr mare who hasn't had a foal since 2004. Just surprised us with this little guy. Ultrasound not Bred, so is a little thin as I was feeding mom as an older, non bred mare. Any way any thoughts on color? Sire is Bay Pinto, Dam is Silver Dapple I think, registered as grey.

Demail.jpg

What a wonderfully handsome silver bay surprise!
default_wub.png

Congratulations! Looks bay (or silver bay?) to me...for now
default_smile.png
Judging by mom's bum, she looks like a silver black (dapple).

Last edited by a moderator:
What a wonderful surprise!!! To me, he doesn't look thin, he looks perfect
default_wink.png

Congrats on the little cutie
default_biggrin.png

Unexpected no loss of sleep and a super nice healthy one on top of that...way to go congrats
default_biggrin.png

Thank you, so THAT is what a silver bay looks like. Now I know. Thank you for you kind words. This little guy is very special to us.
default_wub.png
His dam has bad arthritis (sp) in her left front knee. Too the point that it is bent out ward. Our vet has been treating and her and her quality of life has improved 100 % Any way since she never cycled reularly and I never seen her interested in the stallion or vice a versa, I let her pick which pasture she wanted to go in with her friends and I always put her on the stallions report, never thinking we would have a foal. Sorry for being so long winded, just really, really happy that everything turned out good. Thanks again
default_aktion033.gif

Sorry for being so long winded, just really, really happy that everything turned out good. Thanks again
aktion033.gif
Everyone has bragging rights this time of year - everyone loves seeing all the beautiful foals on all the farms. You had a wonderful surprise so go ahead and share it - long winded is perfectly fine (I write novels sometimes LOL). Couldn't ask for a better surprise - congrats!

Looks silver bay to me, as well! Congrats
default_aktion033.gif

Congratulations Cindy!!! I know you guys always wanted a foal from her, what a perfect surprise!! Oh, I'm voting for bay ... Grace's colt is silver bay though! (I think ;)

What a nice colt! Congratulations to you and your mare! She did a great job! Give her a hug!
default_wub.png

Congrats! I agree with regular bay. I don't see any evidence of silver; his legs and tail just have normal baby light hairs.

Okay...No colour expert here...at all. But if mom is a silver black and the foal is black based (bay), doesn't that automatically make him silver bay?
default_unsure.png

P.S. I agree that he looks to be a "normal" bay here
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it does not automatically make him silver bay unless his dam is homozygous for silver. Otherwise, it would be a 50% chance of silver being passed on. I have a black gelding that has a silver dam and a silver sire. Obviously, neither one of them was homozygous for silver and neither happened to pass it on to this boy.

Oh many congratulations on the best suprise anyone could wish for
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Really happy for you and your mare.

Anna

Latest posts

Back