underbite??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busyminimom

Reaction score
Hi all, I was looking for advice and opinions on a horse that was born with a right on bite, and at 18 months went under by 1/8 in. Dentist says he feels the bite will correct as this mare continues to grow and with regular dentist appointments.

So what do you all think??? Thanks a bunch!!
default_smile.png

For years I was hysterical, paranoid, nutso about an off bite! But over the years I've seen bites come and go like I wouldn't have believed. Terrible bites that corrected in a year or 2 with regular dental care, perfect bites that suddenly went off, WAY OFF, at 12 years!

There was just a very good article in the LSU Equine newsletter about bites....of course they were talking about full size horses, but it certainly reinforced my feeling that growing horse's bites can come and go and regular dental care will usually end with a good outcome. and 1/8" is not much.

Charlotte

I'm with Charlotte. I just no longer get paranoid over an off bite. Especially a minor one. With proper floating, most come back.

1/8" isn't a lot to get worked up over in a growing horse, IMO. However, keep an eye on it w/good dentistry and make your decision based on what she ends up at.

I DO think bites are genetic, though there are some that may just crop up for whatever reason, out of parents that are both just fine.

Have a look in her parents' mouth if you can, and if there's any sign of a problem, it may be that there is something genetic in there and you may want to choose a different occupation for her than broodmare.

If it stays 1/8", though, or gets better, I wouldnt' worry a lot about it.

Good bites are important to me, and all of the horses I have bred except one had naturally good bites. The one mare I got her bite went back on when she was five, on its own, and she had a filly that had a pretty severe underbite. The filly needed a lot of dentistry and the dentist I use felt it was congenital even though I did not tell him about the mare, etc., said it was the way her skull was built that crowded her jaw (her wolf teeth came in directly behind her incisors, for example).

Good luck and I hope it works out great!

Liz M.

Bite is definitely genetic- I think it is also recessive so will not necessarily come out in the foals, and maybe come out in the next generation- I did read an article on it written about TBs- where bite is not important so long as they can run fast- but it was many, many moons ago so please do not ask me where I saw it- I will try to dig it out though!!

As to the degree- 1/8 in a youngster would not worry me in my own stock- it would concern me if I were buying or selling that youngster in as much as I would have it checked out by a dentist and I would point it out to a prospective client- that is all.

You have also to take into account the position of the horses head when you examine the teeth as most of us would automatically hike the head up to where we can see.

This will throw a bite off- you need to examine it with the horses head in a relaxed , natural position- ie down on your hands and knees!!!

I have a 2 year old filly whose bite went off this summer and i got her checked out--no hooks or anything. well, checked her last weekend and they are almost perfect again. I should have known NOT to worry but I did--all for naught.

So have the horse checked out, but they can and do come back. Just depends on the horse.

jennifer :saludando:

Thanks to all for your reassurance and wisdom. Much appreciated.
default_smile.png

We have our whole herd, regardless of age, checked every year by an equine dentist who specializes in Minis. It is surely worth the peace of mind having them looked at and can sure head off any potential issues that may start to occur. And if the horse doesnt need anything at all that year, there is no charge.

I would say just keep an eye on it and make sure it is not getting messed up just from hooks or ridges that are developing that can easily be evened up again.

Latest posts

Back