Unactive foals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMS Miniatures

Reaction score
Yes I am talking about my filly Diva. She's the one that has been sick lately and it went as bad where we had to take her to a special clinic where they had the equipment unlike anywhere here in SW Missouri.

She stayed at the clinic for a couple of days and was able to come home this week. However she is still unactive. Her bloodwork has come back normal, no temp. She just doesn't seem like a foal should act. She is eating but is on the thin side and we have been adding her feed without getting the mother too obeses. She's only 3 months old and rather not wean her this early.

Has anyone have any foals that are just inactive for no reason?

I remember your Diva, but can't remember how long it's been that she's been on the mend.

It may be taking her some time to feel normal again. Her little system I'm sure was thrown off. Have you thought about giving her some probiotics? (Consult your vet on that of course.)

The other thing we always watch for in these little ones who've been sick is ulcers. Keep an eye on the symptoms for that. They won't show a temp if it's ulcers......

MA

Ulcers?!

I hope your baby is back and bouncing in no time.... I know first hand what it's like not having a baby who's not feeling well, since I am in the position right now.

Added:

You can buy kind of a take off from GastroGuard, OTC version from equine supply places such as Valley Vet Supply, it's called UlcerGuard and my vet put my colicking filly on it.... Check with your vet before using it on a tiny foal though, to make sure you get the dosage correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the 2nd time she got sick she was put on too IM meds. Can't remeber the names off hand. Well they were too strong for her system and went down hill real fast. Thats when we took her to the clinic. They did blood work, scope, and x-ray. Well her respiratory infection was cleared but she had very severe diarrhea and the shots really messed up her system.

So from last Friday to now she has been on probiotic's, diarrhea medicine, and I believe SMZ tablets (some type of tablets).

If it's ulcers will that not make her eat?

Jamie, if it is ulcers, she will likely be lethargic, eat very little grain, maybe some hay, drink often or just mouth water. It's vital to be proactive with possible ulcers. In your baby's case, I'd be stunned if she did NOT have ulcers. Her little body has been through a lot. I'd call the vet and get her started on ulcer meds immediately
sad.gif

Based on the information you provided in your posts, my thought would also be ulcers, especially given your medication comment when she was recently ill.

Yes, often a horse with ulcers will not eat and not eating can be one of the first signs of an ulcer, especially if the horse is on certain pain/fever medications such as banamine - if the vet gave your foal any such type of medications, then even more reason to suspect ulcers.

Another thought is worming - this time of year the worms, especially roundworms in foals are very active - a five day double dose pancur worming can be especially helpful.

Well she is eating but now she eats slowly like she isn't hungry and I haven't seen her drinking that much. But will defintelly talk to my vet about any possibilities of ulcers.

We also just wormed her yesterday.

Thanks everyone! My family thinks I'm being a worry wort about her being lethargic like this but I know this isn't normal.
rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be calling my vet to let them know she isn't doing well. She could be relapsing with whatever was wrong with her in the first place, she could have a secondary infection, or likely she could have ulcers. Was she not eating for any length of time during her illness? It sounds like she has been losing weight? Has she been checked for hyperlipemia? I had a 6 month colt develop that after a serious colic. I would not wean her until she is feeling good for at least a month.

We have started giving Gastogard routinely (under vet's orders) to our youngsters who need treatment for colic or other illness. The stress of being ill and the medications used can be hard on them. Usually their appetitie picks up within a couple of days.

I hope your little Diva is on the mend soon. Best wishes

It does sound alot like ulcers, I would definately mention it to my vet. We have two that will occasionally go thru boughts with ulcers that is how one of them acts. He doesn't go completely off his feed, he just kinda chews on it all the time and then lets it fall out of his mouth everywhere. It looks like he is eating and it will sooner or later all be gone from his bucket but it is all over the stall floor.

Well went to the vet this morning and we are treating her for ulcers. The vet didn't have any Gastroguard but she had Gastrix and she is getting 20 cc 2x a day and Cimetidine 2.5 tablets 3x a day. So hopefully we can nip this in the butt.

Hi

Sounds like you are on top of it. I have found weanlings to go down fast BUT also come up just as fast. So if one is sickly acting still, there is something wrong. I personally would insist my vet ORDER some gastroguard. There is nothing like it! Designed for horses and thier particular metabolisms.

Good luck with her!

B

Latest posts

Back