My vet days 21 days( But she can do it earlier if needed) and again at 5 months to be sure they are still prego. I imagine they could just be palpated and feel for movement at 5 months(its cheaper to palpate)
My vet just got one of the new digital ultrasounds and she loves it. I was able to see a three month old fetus- you could see the head and legs and even the buds of the tiny hooves- real nice clarity. I have had a vet ultrasound at 18 days successfully.
My vet will charge $45 for farm call, $35 for a quick palpation and then ultrasound.
I've heard that most problems with pregnancies happen in the first couple months. If you only are going to do it once, maybe you should wait until fall. If you wanted to know whether or not she is bred so you can try again then it makes sense to do it soon. Otherwise, it might be better to wait a little bit.
Thank you all. My vet has ultrasounded this mare before, she was supposed to be bred when I got her and I wanted to check. I got the ok to breed her, good size follicle and no sign of fluid or infection so I really hope she took.
I'll wait then for 45 days then. Hopefully I'll have good news to share.