Ultrasound probe extender

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timeless

Reaction score
I'm getting an ultrasound machine. Does anyone have a photo of an extender you have bought or made? If you bought one, where did you buy it?

Thanks in advance.

Lynn,

Contact Robin - they use ultrasounds daily - no extenders!!! Talk to her and she'll explain why. She can help you tremendously before you make a mistake. I read the ultrasound article in the recent AMHA magazine tonight and thought of Robin right away when it suggested a rounded smooth dowel as an extender. I don't think Robin would mind if you shot her off an email. She's got tons of experience to share.

I would fore go the extension. The risk is to high that damage can occur.

I had a mare that had been ultra-sounded several times with an extension. Very calm mare. No problems. Then one day the vet ultra-sounded her with the extension and for some reason she jumped. Had to rush her to the LSU Veterinary Hospital. The extension had made a tear in her colon. She also had a 1 month old colt on her side. Had to remove the colt. She ended up with a colostomy bag for a while until the inside of her colon healed. It was touch and go for a while. There was also the risk of her insides becoming contaminated with feces and becoming septic. She spent 6-8 weeks in the hospital. It cost me several thousands of dollars.

You don't need an extension. Even a 28-29" mare can be ultrasound by hand. You just have to go slow and take your time. It can be a tight squeeze regardless whether the mare is 29" or 34".

By the way, after that incident, the vet no longer used an extension again.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only reason you would need an extender is because you did not want to put your hand up the horses rectum. There are gloves you can get from Jeffers 100 for 8-10 dollars they are cheap enough. If you are too phobic about putting your hand up there, let someone else check your mares. Extensions are entirely TOO DANGEROUS.You can buy a 60 cc vial of Xylazine for sedation, just give about1/2 cc in the neck vien. Makes the loopy for about 45 miniutes. It is cheap and has no lasting effects on the horse and no effects on the fetus. Completetly safe and effective. Buscopam is an excellent anti spasmotic drug also cheap about 30.00 bucks a 60 cc vial. works great for colic as well!!Makes getting your hand in too easy, and keeps them from straining against your hand. I do about 80-100 U/S every year, and have always done it this way, and using these meds, never had a problem. Extender for your probe?? only use it with cheap and inexpensive mares so if you perforate the rectum, it will not be a huge loss. Welcome to the world of sonography!!! a must for the serious breeder.
default_aktion033.gif
Julie

Latest posts

Back