Ulcergard for hauling

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
Since it was really recommended that I have Domingo on opremazole for his trip home. Its going to be a little longer trip that I would like, but he's coming home with hauled right, who were highly recommended to me, so Im trying to relax about it. I ordered him some Ulcergard. Yes, I know prilosec is cheaper, however it's also harder to administer, and not proven as effective. If I were the one administering it the whole way, I might go that route, but I'm trying to make it as easy as possible for the seller and the shipper. The shipper said they have electrolytes on board, and will give them if he needs them. I kind of prefer it this way, because I have seen what can happen when you give electrolytes when not needed.

He will get on the trailer the evening of the 10th, the evening of the 11th, the evening of the 12th, and will be home with me early on the 13th.

I was thinking doing the ulcergard(each dose 1/4 tube) the morning of the 8th, morning of the 9th, the morning of the 10th, the morning of the 11th, morning of the 12th, morning of the 13th, morning of the 14th, morning of the 15th. That would give him a couple days before the trip, during the trip, and a couple days after the trip.

Then follow that with probiotics for a week while hes settling in.

Is this what I should be doing, or should I do something different?

I ran your question by my husband, Larry. (He is basically retired from hauling, but hauled minis for almost 15 years). He thinks that the paste version of Ulcerguard or Gastroguard is a wonderful idea for longer trips. Larry was known for being willing to give his horses any meds needed enroute.......Kuddos to Hauled Wright for also doing that!

1/4 tube is a full sized dose... you'd need, like, 1/3 of 1/4 of a tube for a miniature
default_smile.png

My vet has always advised 1/2 dose once a day for prevention of an ulcer, and to give 1/2 dose twice a day for the beginnings of ulcer activity.

1/4 tube is a full sized dose... you'd need, like, 1/3 of 1/4 of a tube for a miniature
default_smile.png

This is about how much we use. We don't give ulcerguard to all of our minis before hauling them, but we have one that has had ulcers before and we always dose him. If you have a mini that tends to get nervous, it wouldn't hurt to give him a little.

Has anyone ever had problems giving their mini Ulcerguard before hauling?? Just curious
default_smile.png

I cant believe I missed that on the dosing. Wish I would have known a few days ago, I ordered two tubes. Oops. Oh well, I can use it during show season when we're hauling and staying at shows. Won't hurt to have some extra on hand.

Just wondering,How long can you use Ulcerguard before it goes bad. I've never seen(or looked for) an expiration day but I'm pretty sure there is one.

Latest posts

Back