ulcer - what to feed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solupe

Reaction score
A friend of mine has a foal with a big ulcer in the tummy. She is getting gastoguard but still no improvement, been weeks now. What is the best food to give an animal with ulcer, she is in pain....what is easy to digest?

Only hay? something else

Thanks

If it has been weeks, I think I would be checking with the vet to see if it isn't something else, or something more. Most with ulcers, do not even want grain. Is the foal eating grain?

Mine with ulcers was on tagament for 7 days, but was eating and doing great on the morning of day 3. Also only had Cleaned oats. But those were things my vet recommended, please consult with a vet first.

I really do agree- she should be getting serious Vet treatment!! This could be life threatening in an animal this age.

I ditto the above. Sounds like the foal should be getting more aggressive treatment. The filly should have been showing improvement after only a day or two on the gastroguard, so something is very wrong.

Also -- no grain, just soft quality grass hay at this point is what our vet(s) advise.

MA

I 100% agree...get the Vets buns out to check him. Babies can go down hill so very, very fast...so I would act asap. gastrogaurd is excellent...that will heal it but, it takes a good while...in the mean time with the gastroguard - tagament is wonderful as, it will relieve temporarily the pain in her tummy.

I gave ours a warm bran mash...with a little metamucil mixed in so, she didn't get stopped up with the bran.

I would stress getting the vet out...they can die from this very easily...I don't want to scare you...but, this is a serious problem.

We use gastrogaurd here when we wean, take babies to shows or anything stress etc...it will coat the tummy and, prevent a ulcer.

takes a very tiny bit to get a ulcer but, it takes a LONG time to treat and, heal one.

good luck,

Lis

I 100% agree...get the Vets buns out to check him. Babies can go down hill so very, very fast...so I would act asap. gastrogaurd is excellent...that will heal it but, it takes a good while...in the mean time with the gastroguard - tagament is wonderful as, it will relieve temporarily the pain in her tummy.

I gave ours a warm bran mash...with a little metamucil mixed in so, she didn't get stopped up with the bran.

I would stress getting the vet out...they can die from this very easily...I don't want to scare you...but, this is a serious problem.

We use gastrogaurd here when we wean, take babies to shows or anything stress etc...it will coat the tummy and, prevent a ulcer.

takes a very tiny bit to get a ulcer but, it takes a LONG time to treat and, heal one.

good luck,

Lis

We have a filly who almost died because she was fed a high protein high carb sweet feed along with the stress of being weaned and horse shows. The trainers did not give any gastrogard or anything else to help protect her stomach so she developed hyperlysemia. She may have also had an absess in her intestines, which they did not totally confirm. I could give you the names of the medicines but this is not something to mess with or to try to treat by everyones opinion. Get your horse to a vet. Hope and pray all goes well. By the way, after many dollars and much constant care since Sept., our litttle girl is on the road to recovery. Weehoss

GREENWOODMINIS said:
I 100% agree...get the Vets buns out to check him.  Babies can go down hill so very, very fast...so I would act asap.  gastrogaurd is excellent...that will heal it but, it takes a good while...in the mean time with the gastroguard - tagament is wonderful  as, it will relieve temporarily the pain in her tummy.I gave ours a warm bran mash...with a little metamucil mixed in so, she didn't get stopped up with the bran.

good luck,

Lis

496261[/snapback]

WHen my 6 month old had ulcers, we gave no hay, only Purina Complete and soaked beet pulp. With the help of the Gastrogard, she got better. I also started giving her ground flax seed. She was in pain a lot too. But the Gastrogard rally helped. I am still careful with her and keep Gastrogard handy.

Good luck.

Just for the record, I was not implying that anyone has given you bad advice only that in such a serious situation it is better not to try what may be good methods but since we do not have the medical information (blood count etc) we may not be accurate in our accessment. I do want to say that this is an excellent place to gain a wealth of knowledge about our horses and I so appreciate every attempt by all who share their knowledge and concern. Please keep us updated on the condition of this baby. Prayers and best wishes. Weehoss

Peggy said:
WHen my 6 month old had ulcers, we gave no hay, only Purina Complete and soaked beet pulp.  With the help of  the Gastrogard, she got better.  I also started giving her ground flax seed.  She was in pain a lot too.  But the Gastrogard rally helped.  I am still careful with her and keep Gastrogard handy.
Good luck.

497552[/snapback]

I don't want to throw anyone, and as everyone else has said, check with the vet ASAP. With our baby that has/had an ulcer I had the same question. After a zillion phone calls, I got the email of one of the people that develops feed for a company, that did extensive research on the subject. He suggested seven days of Brewers Yeast! I tried it, and it did the job at the time. I do think that the meds Ulcer-Gard or U-Gard was what did it, but the Brewers Yeast seemed to speed it up.

I also limited his intake in the grain dept. I did give him small amounts of grain, FOUR TIMES a day for that first week. He didn't want much, but seemed happy to see me and just nibble that tiny little bit.

I also gave him ProBios in a tube, (vet didn't seem to mind that idea) as well as give him a tiny little bit of plain yogurt. I just wanted to keep giving him something to keep his weight up, as loosing weight was easy to notice.

He was about a year old when this came to our attention, and being two and a half now, I have to say, he's still on the U-gard. However, he only gets a very very tiny amount and only when symptons present.

I have to admit, I've turned him into a junk food mini.... that likes to nibble four times a day. He eats very tiny pieces of fruits and his favorite Yogurt around noon. He likes his grain with a little yogurt for dinner. His favorite midnight snack is tiny tiny cut up carrot pieces. OH, and our entire herd is usually on flax or something with flax in it. The Omega 3 in flax is good, plus what a great soft coat our herd gets from flax!

I wish you the very best of luck. It's just been my experience that an ulcer is something that is not going to go away for good. Everytime I think we have it beat... We end up with it being a problem again. But again... I want to say.. this is just my own personal, novice experience... Because we have so few... it gives me tons of time to spoil them.

Oh, and our guy... comes up the back steps, when it's time for a feeding....

God Bless,

Lynn W

P.S. I gotta get his midnight snack ready... Lol...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been wondering about our little problem child. Has anyone heard any news? weehoss

Black Magic said:
I don't want to throw anyone, and as everyone else has said, check with the vet ASAP.  With our baby that has/had an ulcer I had the same question.  After a zillion phone calls, I got the email of one of the people that develops feed for a company, that did extensive research on the subject.  He suggested seven days of Brewers Yeast!  I tried it, and it did the job at the time.  I do think that the meds Ulcer-Gard or U-Gard was what did it, but the Brewers Yeast seemed to speed it up. 
I also limited his intake in the grain dept.  I did give him small amounts of grain, FOUR TIMES a day for that first week.  He didn't want much, but seemed happy to see me and just nibble that tiny little bit. 

I also gave him ProBios in a tube, (vet didn't seem to mind that idea) as well as give him a tiny little bit of plain yogurt.  I just wanted to keep giving him something to keep his weight up, as loosing weight was easy to notice. 

He was about a year old when this came to our attention, and being two and a half now, I have to say, he's still on the U-gard.  However, he only gets a very very tiny amount and only when symptons present. 

I have to admit, I've turned him into a junk food mini.... that likes to nibble four times a day.  He eats very tiny pieces of fruits and his favorite Yogurt around noon.  He likes his grain with a little yogurt for dinner.  His favorite midnight snack is tiny tiny cut up carrot pieces.  OH, and our entire herd is usually on flax or something with flax in it.  The Omega 3 in flax is good, plus what a great soft coat our herd gets from flax! 

I wish you the very best of luck.  It's just been my experience that an ulcer  is something that is not going to go away for good.  Everytime I think we have it beat... We end up with it being a problem again.  But again... I want to say.. this is just my own personal, novice experience... Because we have so few... it gives me tons of time to spoil them. 

Oh, and our guy... comes up the back steps, when it's time for a feeding....

God Bless,

Lynn W

P.S.  I gotta get his midnight snack ready... Lol...

497606[/snapback]

Latest posts

Back