Twitch

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BethC

Reaction score
I don't fully understand what a twitch is. Exactly where/how does it "connect" to a horse to assist with control ... it sounds like it is something used to assist in holding a horse still when needed??? I've looked on-line to see what they are so I know what they look like but that didn't help.
default_unsure.png
:

Thank you!

Beth

there are two type of twitches that I am aware of

Twitch

the loop end goes around the horses upper lip and you twist the pole to tighten the rope/cable around there nose.

Twitch

same principle only you don't have to hold it, you put the upper lip/nose into it and close it shut.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Beth C,

I don't like those things, but we use them at the vet hospital where I work part time. We rarely use them. Sometimes, when a horse is being really naughty we will pull one out. Sometimes if we have a horse that is rearing up... or not cooperating we use it. I have only seen it used once on a mini, and that boy knew he was going to be gelded and he didn't want that first shot in the neck. I call them a necessary evil... KWIM?

God Bless,

Lynn W

HOLY MOLY!!! I also wondered what a twitch was every time I read about them, but goodness, these are used on horses?

We rarely use them, but we do hand twitch (pinch the nose with our hand) instead.

A horse's nose has a nerve center to it, so by pinching that nerve center it's supposed to send off endorphins which calms the horse and also their focus is more on that than whatever you are doing to them that they don't like -- such as giving a shot or clipping a certain area.

MA

With a properly applied twitch, studies have shown that endorphins, are released into the bloodstream of a horse.

I will twitch if neccessary; and will wait until the horse's eyes half close, and ears get droopy, before proceeding with whatever job I twitched for.
default_yes.gif
:

To simply grab a twitch, twist or clamp it on, and "go-for-it"...isn't the proper process at all...yet it is very commonly done. :no:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well said, Sue C.

When properly applied in certain circumstances - and never for long periods of time... a twitch is a valuable aid. You can get first aid or clipping or whatever done without further stressing or endangering the horse - or the human involved. Some horses get very sleepy and ho-hum - some simply stand still. I have also just used my fingers in a modified twitch for a few minutes on the odd mini who was freaking out about a specific situation...

And please - no lectures about proper training blahblahblah - sometimes you need to address a situation when and where it happens - with the greatest safety for all concerned....

I have one mare that the vet has to twitch to get near her. That being said she is the only one out

of 6 that has ever had a twitch used on her. I don't like them, but I don't want anyone hurt when

giving shots etc.

With a properly applied twitch, studies have shown that endorphins, are released into the bloodstream of a horse.
I will twitch if neccessary; and will wait until the horse's eyes half close, and ears get droopy, before proceeding with whatever job I twitched for.

To simply grab a twitch, twist or clamp it on, and "go-for-it"...isn't the proper process at all...yet it is very commonly done.
I also wanted to add, if the horse is too worked up to begin with, they will need time to calm down before a twitch will work properly. A lot of times it is the lesser of two evils. You or your horse can get hurt really bad in a struggle over an hours time to accomplish something that would only take a couple of minutes of calm with a twitch. I never did like twitches myself until I had a close encounter with a horse where I could have been hurt very badly along with the horse. It is easier on me and the horse to twitch and be done.

We have to use them on my QH mare, she dont like the farrier vets or getting wormer she ares up and with a twitch on her upper lip shes fine...

a twitch gose on the upper lip b/c theres a nerve in there upper lip witch it pinches or something anyway it suposible colms them
default_wacko.png
: ..... i hate usualy it on her so every time we try to not use it but every time we have too :no:
default_sad.png

I was told along time ago that a horse that was caught on its nose ,neck, or shoulder, by a preditor would relax and let itself die as these are going to be fatal wounds. the twitch uses these points to a humans advantage. one thing that seems to work for our vet is he has a string that he puts at the linewhere the upper gums and lip meet, up over the poll, and ties it there after about 5 to 10 min the horse gets glasy eyed and will stand for most anything.doesnt seem as crewl as a twich but uses the same idea.DR.

Back