Twisting foot while moving

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went to look at a driving prospect today. While watching him move from behind, I see his hind hoof twisting at the pastern. It sort of looks as though he is giving his foot a little twist to screw it into the ground.

The other hoof does it occasionally, but the left does it every time.

What is the cause of this?

I've seen it in horses that are really straight in the rear legs, sort of twisting the whole leg. My husbands arab does this. I think a driving horse should be a little cow hocked, but that is just my opinion as today they are breeding for the halter type that is extreme straight legged and causing this problem.

It is a conformation thing--the horse puts his foot down and then as the weight shifts into that leg, the leg twists. I have seen horses twist from the ankle down, some do it from the hock. The wrong hoof trim could accentuate it, but the horses I have seen do it no matter what--even trimmed correctly they've got that twisting motion. Some do it worse than others. I have noticed no relation to straight (as viewed from behind) conformation--many very correct "halter horses" do not do this!

Last edited by a moderator:
My gelding does it with his right hind leg. I've had him for six years and it doesn't seem to bother him.

I talked to the farrier this morning. She says it is fairly common in big riding horses and comes from weak hind end. Not really an issue. She did not know, however, how it might affect a driving horse that must push off with the hind while pulling weight.

I have another farrier coming in a few weeks and will ask another opinion. There are so few driving hroses in my area that most vets and farriers don't really seem to know much about the physics.

I have 2 who do this, 3 who do not. I had never noticed it before..my farrier says no problem. Doesn't seem to be related to trim, imo.

I have seen minis do this, too. One I used to own, and then others at a stable near by. I don't know the cause, but do know exactly what you're referring to. The ones I've seen do this are / do also move sort of "wide" in the hind end. I said it reminded me of a sumo wrestler b/c of the wide step. This has come up on LB before, but I think it was a LONG time ago. You may be able to search and get more insight. I think I remarked then as well "Sumo" if other search terms don't pan out.

Last edited by a moderator:
My mini Splash does this. right hind. He does have a weak rear end build that i feel contributes to this. That being said, I do drive him every where without a problem. When he's hooked and pulling he tracks straight without twisting. Weird, but he does. You said you were looking at this horse as a driving prospect, I would pass if you have not already made the purchase.(why take the chance when there are so many horses for sale now) I have been lucky with mine but he is never going to be a top notch driving horse. He has a forever home with me because he's so good in so many other ways, sweet personality, kids can drive him, unflappable in the cart etc.

Alison

My mini Splash does this. right hind. He does have a weak rear end build that i feel contributes to this. That being said, I do drive him every where without a problem. When he's hooked and pulling he tracks straight without twisting. Weird, but he does. You said you were looking at this horse as a driving prospect, I would pass if you have not already made the purchase.(why take the chance when there are so many horses for sale now) I have been lucky with mine but he is never going to be a top notch driving horse. He has a forever home with me because he's so good in so many other ways, sweet personality, kids can drive him, unflappable in the cart etc.

Alison
The person who owns the horse I'm talking about does not want to sell him after all. She just wants him boarded over the winter and someone to work with him. I pointed out the twisting foot, as I didn't want her to think it happened when he was at my house. I'm going to bring him home to work with, but I don't want him forever. I'm down to one horse right now and I need a companion for Dapper Dan, and as a project horse I think he'll be nice. He is very sweet, like yours.

Latest posts

Back